Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Poorly Spaniel :-(
  • surfer
    Free Member

On Friday my Cocker Spaniel started limping slightly after coming in from the garden for his pre bedtime wee. Wife noticed it (I had gone to bed) next morning he seemed very subdued so we took him to the vet first thing.
    Inconclusive but seemed to have sore knees. Gave him a pain killing injection and some for us to administer over the next few days, bit of bed rest.
    Sunday evening even more subdued, whimpering and barely moving and very upsetting for us to see him like this.
    Monday morning back to the vet for a blood test, further exams and possible referral.
    Waiting on results now but this morning he went into the garden for a wee and just lay down on the grass and had to be carried back in.
    Really worried……

Here is the little wascal only last week ensuring you cant go out without him…

[/url]20171203_093853 by mcivord, on Flickr[/img]

sharkbait
    Free Member

🙁

One of ours is an utter wimp, if she gets a thorn in her paw it’s as if she’s had her leg amputated!

Hopefully it’s just a pulled muscle and given a few days rest will be back on the go.

dirkpitt74

Sad time 🙁

Have you checked for sores?

There seems to be a lot of this going around:

Alabama Rot

We had the MIL’s dog the weekend and she told us not to take him over the Chase for a walk because of it.

Hope the little fella improves.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m no vet but if it’s come on that quick it sounds like he’s done something outside. Our Cavvy had a similar thing a couple of times, had a bit run about then started limping & could hardly walk.
    Hopefully nothing serious for him!

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks, no sores or outward signs. Given the number of cuddles he has recived from the kids over the last few days they would have been spotted 😐

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Our JR Billy developed a bit of senstivity to having his rear offside legtouch then started liomping, we like the vet thought it might be ACL issues but it suddenly got very bad. An X-ray showed a massive tumour on the bone so sadly Billy Whiskers was visited by the vet at the house yesterday and ended a weekend of doggy morphine and eating his favourite foods by having a well deserved sleep.
    I really wish I believed in the afterlife..

Hope your beast’s problems are easily sorted.

surfer
    Free Member

So sorry to hear that Eddie 🙁

Spud

Poor little chap, hope gets sorted out soon. I dread something like this with ours..

And Eddie, sorry to hear about your little fella too, very sad time.

dantsw13

😥

eddiebaby
    Free Member

He was over 15 and had a brilliant life right up to the end running on the beach and chasing rabbits and squirrels on the cliffs.
    He did OK.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZW6Zr8]IMG_1564[/url] by John Stanley, on Flickr

surfer
    Free Member

It would appear it is a slipped disc (apparently they range from 1 to 10 and his is a 1 :D) so in spite of his whingeing the vet said monitor it but other than finishing off the painkillers he already has, not much to worry about and it should get better on its own. He did hint that he is a bit of a baby….

But we already knew that…

[/url]IMG-20140712-WA0031 by mcivord, on Flickr[/img]

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

OP, Spaniels are hardy **** yet wimps at the same time. Ours used to get limps all the time, after hard charging pheasants into brambles…. no **** given…. but god…. if they got seeds in their paws…. they woukd get completely beside themselves with the brevity of life etc.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Great shot 😀

ffej
    Free Member

That’s good news surfer, mystery illnesses are always a worry.
    I’ve carried my own springer home from walks on a few occasions where she’s refused to budge.. only for her to make an instant recovery and go chase a cat when I get home..

Jeff

dirkpitt74

Good news, speedy recovery.

Spud

Great news… And a great photo too…

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks All 🙂

dantsw13

My 2 Spaniels are happy too!! They are currently “helping” me cook.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fantastic photo!

My two Springers were poles apart in temperament, one daft as and loyal and the other bonkers and all boingy..

Got to love em”

😀

Three_Fish
    Free Member

He did hint that he is a bit of a baby….

I’ve nothing to add other than that being the best comment-supporting photo I’ve seen on STW. Glad your mutt is OK.

fossy

Good news.

One of our cat’s comes over as a tough nut, never ill, but a few months ago wouldn’t let you near her, pain in her back, growling and whimpering if you tried to pick her up . Checked over by vet for RTA etc etc, nothing. Most likely a slightly infected bite from the new kitten.

The ‘kitten’ is now bigger than the other cat (he’s 1) and it a right hard nut – headbutts stuff, been stung on his paw and it was twice the size of the normal paw – didn’t bother him other than a limp. He’s a pedigree though, and the particular breed does appear to have a high pain tolerance.

The tortie is a wimp.

sharkbait
    Free Member

if they got seeds in their paws…. they woukd get completely beside themselves with the brevity of life etc.

Actually a seed between the toes can be pretty bad for a dog.
    Once they’ve entered the skin they cannot come back out out due to their shape so they keep moving up the foot. Surgery is the only solution but there’s a mass of tendons, etc in there so it’s pretty tricky.

Glad he’s feeling a bit better. Inca has just buried one of my daughters smelly socks under my pillows in celebration. She’s now under the duvet barking. 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Poorly Spaniel :-(’ is closed to new replies.