Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Poorly cat :(
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I came home today to find my cat in a bit of a poorly way.

The left side of his face seems pretty badly swollen, and very unusually for him, he’s not interested in any food (mine or his!) He’s normally fairly active, but all he wants to do is just sit there, but not in his usual spots. The swelling doesn’t appear to be painful to touch, but is causing him to dribble a lot. I can’t find any puncture marks around the swelling either.

He’s off to the vets tomorrow first thing, but I just wondered if anyone has an idea of what’s up with him?

brakes
    Free Member

can cats get Bell’s Palsy?
    stroke?

neilthewheel

Could have an abscess on a tooth? Poor lad.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

If it’s appeared very quickly probably/hopefully an abscess.

blackburied
    Free Member

Abscess or cyst.

john_drummer
    Free Member

probably an abscess. I had one on a front tooth once, just under my nose. typically it came up on a sunday, I had to wait until Monday to get treatment. Dentist did a grand job, I still have the tooth.

not nice though

bearnecessities

Is he an outdoor shit cat; if so maybe a scrap with swelling?

Sure he’ll be fine though chap; I am not a vet but looks fairly innocuous.

rickmeister

Hope this has a good outcome, let us know how it goes…

Dylan08
    Free Member

My old moggy has very recently had 2 x decayed teeth removed (purely due to her age) – its hard to tell if they are in pain so probs worth a vets visit if it looks no better in a day or two.

samuri
    Free Member

stung by a wasp? I got attacked by wasps a while back. Surprisingly similar.

CountZero

Bloody hell, Samurai/dan1980’s cat – separated at birth! 😉

dan1980
    Free Member

Cheers folks, the suggestions don’t make it seem that serious, I’ll let you know he he gets on post vet tomorrow!

parkesie
    Free Member

😆 thats a photchop surely.

parkesie
    Free Member

One of my old cats had a cyst had her booked into the vets. Bloody thing burst before we got to the vets disgusting. Saved us a few quid tho and the cat was non the worse off. Vet just had to clean it up and give a shot of anti biotics.

samuri
    Free Member

unfortunately not. I was pulling up weeds, suddenly surrounded by wasps. I got stung on my hands a couple of times so walked away, a load of them settled on my head and started stinging away like crazy. I killed a couple by slapping my hand against my head and then things got really nasty. A few managed to get up my shorts legs and stung me on my arse and legs.

It was my head that really looked bad though. Normally I look like Brad Pitt.

dan1980
    Free Member

I was able to get a very quick appointment this morning, and got Ollie looked at.

It turns out he has cellulitis from an infected bite, so was given some antibiotics and painkillers and should be as right as rain in a few days. Poor little bugger had a temperature of 104°F so it’s not surprising he was feeling a little off colour.

Very pleased it wasn’t anything to serious!

retrogirl
    Free Member

Sounds like what my cat had. He went off his food and had runny eyes and nose and a lump at the side of his neck. turned out to be a very juicy abscess. The vets lanced it and it was left to drain and he was soon back to his old self. What he didn’t like was being kept inside until the wound healed and he spent the best part of a week planning his great escape 😉

neilthewheel

Have you got a bully cat on your street Dan?

prawny

I had cellulitis once, no wonder he was off his food, I felt like shoot.

dan1980
    Free Member

He’s normally OK with other cats, and used to play with my previous neighbour’s cat regularly

He likes bringing me rats back though, some more alive than others, so I wonder if he came off 2nd best to one of them.

He bought this one back a while ago (I’ve got size 8 feet…) so he’s not afraid of going for the larger ones!

cogglepin

When my cat was ill the only thing it would eat was yoghurt, wouldn’t touch anything else.

hels
    Free Member

I would say 90% sure that’s an abcess, possibly in a rotten tooth.

My cat went for a festive killing spree yesterday, caught a robin. It escaped her jaws before I could get the perfect picture for this years christmas card.

dan1980
    Free Member

An update for those interested, after the initial Cellulitis diagnosis, the vet now things Ollie actually has cowpox.

I won’t post a photo as they’re a bit gory.

I think this means in his spare time he’s planning on weaponising smallpox and has vaccinated himself in preparation.

He’s now sporting a cone of shame, and is not a happy kitty.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cowpox??? That wouldn’t of been my first guess, hope he feels better soon.

mightymule
    Free Member

Blimey.

Hope Ollie gets better soon. Fingers crossed.

PS – 3 dead rats lined up on the kitchen floor this morning. Evil Black Cat Mk I (AKA Basement Cat, AKA Nails, AKA ****bag) obviously back to his old self…..

project
    Free Member

My cat also suffered the same, took her to vet, and she all her teeth taken out, not bad fr a 16 year old cat, she jumped around next day when i got her back, like a kitten, and no pain or appreciable blood from her, she was like a new cat, 89 quid.

Then she is now suffering from slight strokes, face has dropped one side and cant walk straight, she jumps and runs, eats ok and is a happy little cat.

The vet said the frequency of the stokes could get worse and more cloeser together, and that will kill her. Oh and 30 quid for that advice.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Poorly cat :(’ is closed to new replies.