• This topic has 317 replies, 119 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 318 total)
  • "poor us" Top Gear lot
  • anagallis_arvensis

nuanced humour

Seriously? What the actual ****? I’m lost for words. Please tell me thats not what you think.

DrJ

For the same reason I don’t get offended when people suggest I’m a six toed inbred idiot having been raised in the Fens, because I know that the stereotype is not true.

Education and a sense of humour allow me to put things in a wider context.

Umm, no, lack of experience of racist discrimination allows you to see things as you do. You are playing the game with the level set on “Easy”. If you faced this stereotyping every time you went for a job interview you might find your sense of humour a bit more strained.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thank you, God.

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    IT IS A TV PROGRAM THEAD ON THE INTERNET. IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT DON’T WATCH OPEN IT.

IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT BUT DECIDE TO WATCH OPEN IT ANYWAY DON’T MOAN ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU DON’T LIKE IT.

FTFY, oh, and…”Simples”.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

In summary.

Some people don’t like an entertainment show focused on banter and nuanced humour between 3 blokes, but rather than turn over, continue to watch and get angry, either for themselves or on behalf of others who they think they should be offended on behalf of.

I don’t think we’ve established whether the nuanced humour is nuanced or humour. To continually make such sloppy and unpleasant racial stereotypes time and time again would suggest that it’s more than just ‘having a bit of a joke’. None of them on Top Gear are stand up comics or comedy writers who will do a nostalgic look at Top Gear in 25 years time explaining that it was all ironic and they were actually taking the piss out of the sort of bigoted racists they were portraying. Each of them does it so well if it all is just a big act.

I’m just surprised and disappointed that the beeb think it’s all so acceptable.

Harry_the_Spider

Thank you, God Al.

For reminding me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

thought that “professionally offended” was a fair summation, rather than a lazy insult.

then your judgement is flawed

I didn’t defend the racist slope comment, I said I didn’t know it was an insult until it made the news and I also said it was a disgrace if the comment was deliberately put in the show for that reason.

😕
    I did not reply to you. How ironic that you are lecturing us on how you are bright
    Can you think of another reason or how else the “joke” works? Did you read the judgement? they admitted that was why they did it bit said they did not knwo how racist it was. FWIW you are trying to defend Top gear as humour but then wont defend the humour

If someone used the Mexican comments about Indians, Pakistanis or Chinese people it still wouldn’t be racist, as I’m not aware that there was an outdated stereotype of these people behaving that way

So I can say a Chinese person rather than a jew is money grabbing and it is not racist….have you really thought this through 😕

Quite tbe opposite in fact. It would just show tbe ignorance of the person using the wrong stereotype for the wrong cultures.

Is this some sort of exercise in defend the indefensible here?
    Its usually funnier than this but the logic is just as tortured and the arguments as well crafter
    Just becaus ethe racist view is wrong it doe snto stop being racist

Black people smell of wee and are lazy is clearly wrong and inaccurate According to you its therefore not racist. What sort of thinking is this?

If it would help the “professionally offended” I could always report my own post to the mods for being racist and we’ll see if I get banned?

Who has said you were racist ? What a daft comment. Clearly putting to bed the rumour that Top gear appeals to the thickies amongst us …steady now dont get offended there its only a joke as a top gear presenter would say

I don’t get offended when people suggest I’m a six toed inbred idiot having been raised in the Fens, because I know that the stereotype is not true.

you have five toes then I assume ….just a joke again so spring to my defence etc

That is top gear in a nutshell some think its ok to be rude and simplistic about other people and cultures and some think its lazy and racist.
    No one seems to deny they do it only whether it is funny or offensive

nealglover
    Free Member

That is top gear life in a nutshell some think its ok to be rude and simplistic about other people and cultures and some think its lazy and racist.

mikey74
    Free Member

That is top gear in a nutshell some think its ok to be rude and simplistic about other people and cultures and some think its lazy and racist.

I’m not sure how it is any worse than jokes about Scousers, Northerners, Scottish people, Irish people, the French, the Germans etc etc. I’m not saying I agree it is the way to behave (it’s not my typeof humour) but every group in the World has endemic jokes about other cultures and most people treat them in the way in which they are intended. They rarely cause offence, except to those looking to be offended.

I don’t see TG to be any worse in this sense than your average episode of Fawlty Towers or that Mrs Brown rubbish, or most British comedy shows for that matter**. Maybe it is old fashioned humour, but it is still very prevalent and popular.

** Also see Speedy Gonzalez cartoons.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody hell you lot…

Get out on your bike more 😆

MoreCashThanDash

Exactly.

It all boils down to intent and context. If they deliberately used the word “slope” because it is a racist term, that is offensive, like using the n-word.

If they have used an outdated racial stereotype about the Mexicans at an attempt at humour, then you either find it funny or not. I find it hard to believe that anyone was so convinced that those comments were intended to be offensive that they kicked off about it the way they did.

Anyway, the argument is getting circular. I need to go and get some food in.

*high sixes junkyard on the way out*

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*high sixes junkyard on the way out*

Nice Norfolk reference to bring it back on topic there!

DrJ

What makes a racial stereotype “outdated”. Doesn’t the “n” word refer to slavery? Is that outdated? If I refer to an Indian as Gunga Din, or chai wallah or whatever, is that OK too? Really – why are you tying yourself in knots trying to defend these idiots?

nealglover
    Free Member

DrJ. Well done.

Pretty much the opposite of what he said.

anagallis_arvensis

DrJ. Well done.

Maybe its me, because the nuances of this discussion are lost on me too. Racial stereotypes are racist surely.

Klunk
    Free Member

Racial stereotypes are racist surely.

it’s not racist as it’s nuanced humour 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

theres more quotes than anything else

we owe al at least five pages no?
    ftfysimples

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe… Nuanced?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Be fair the professional tv presenter tried so hard to avoid saying it that he inadvertently said it. Despite the repeated incidents he, and the show, are really really not racist. Who amongst us is not in trouble yearly at work for a clumsy racial faux pas?

Like the others your point is lost on me

cynic-al
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Thank you, God Al.
    For reminding me.

Thank you God Harry

For continuing to let it go over your head.

DO YOU GET IT YET?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Wonder what happend to the cars they left behind?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How many pages by the time it’s shown on DAVE?

I tell you what – I’d rather end up in a pub having a pint with Hammond, May and Clarkson, than most of the miserable buggers on here

cynic-al
    Free Member

That include me TAFKASTR?

project
    Free Member

As per usual the same names crop up with the same tired sentances about Top Gear being racist, homophobic , zenophobic etc, like proffesional politically corrected management types.Its NOT its like people i work for every day, i meet when out that talk like that have a laugh and accept the banter back, and if they do go to far, apologise profuesly and learn from their mistakes..

When you consider all the work that must be put in to create such a large budget programe, and the amount of travel, hotels, and equipment along with vehicles that ned to be bought and transported to a foreign country populated by foreigners, surely somewhere down the line those foreigners would say we dont like that or we do like that and ask /demand changes, we will never know, whgat we do know is a lot of excellent filming editing and preperation goes into each episode, and yet the few find one or two seemingly racist terms to themselves anoying and worthy of complaint on a cycling forum instead of the BBC, or Ofcom etc.

If you dont like TG, dont watch to look for some child like japes, we would all love to be part of, no one gets hurt, and a lot get enjoyment from.

cynic-al – Member

That include me TAFKASTR?

Most definitely not Al – I’d have a pint with you any time

Junkyard
    Free Member

If it is just professionally offended PC types why is Clarkson on his last warning? There is considerable difference between banter between friends and being the butt of the loudmouth racists/homophobes jokes/rants/bullying.

whgat we do know is a lot of excellent filming editing and preparation goes into each episode

and despite this they still keep using racist language
    Nice defence

If you dont like TG, dont watch

I dont watch it this is a thread on it.

apologise profuesly and learn from their mistakes

In what world has Top Gear or Clarkson done this? As credible as the nuanced humour argument

project
    Free Member

so without watching TG, you now believe its full of non PC language.

and that clarkson is on his final warning, when the programe is totally scripted and the foremat decided by the producer and editor and director, its not live so can easily be edited which it is very well done.

Just perhaps saying clarkson is on his final warning will make peeps look at the programe and think whats that all about,always seems to happen just before a new series

Junkyard
    Free Member

without watching TG, you now believe its full of non PC language.

yes and without going to the north pole i think its cold and without beating my wife I think its wrong
    Even you think that its just you just dont care/ term it banter. Everyone agrees on that we only disagree on whether it is ok or not. FWIW i called him a racist as that is what he is or a person who uses racial words and racit stereotypes…though i may just be missing the nuanced humour of it all.

as for the warning you could google how often he has said and see if he says it every series. You are clutching at straws somewhat with that point.

You seem to be arguing its not possible to think its not PC without watching it and also arguing the BBC publicise it as not PC in order to get folk to watch it.

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

Youtube car stuff is so much better than Top Gear these days- The episodes of Roadkill with the General Mayhem 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

Without the “controversy” it was another incredibly predictable rehash of a long tired formula. I was wondering what the odds of him choosing that car accidentally would be, then I saw this on facebook

h982 fkl

I don’t actually agree with their method there, but they’ve also just assumed it was set in stone that Clarkson would choose a Porsche 928, out of the many thousands of V8 cars he could have chosen. Absolutely no way the entire production crew missed that. As you’ve now seen the support team is enormous, but that’s just the tip of the ice berg. There will have been double or triple that number of people involved in the production before the shoot.

RustyNissanPrairie

Would like to see a behind scenes program of a TG special – didn’t expect there to be as much gear/vehicles as was shown in the snippets last night

nealglover
    Free Member

Like the others your point is lost on me

Morecashthandash specifically said using the N word or Slope was not acceptable.

DrJ then replied as though he had said that using them was ok. And was defending their use.

ie: exactly the opposite of what morecashthandash said.

DrJ

Morecashthandash specifically said using the N word or Slope was not acceptable.

DrJ then replied as though he had said that using them was ok. And was defending their use.

ie: exactly the opposite of what morecashthandash said.

Well done, nealglover.

Pretty much the opposite of what I said.

I said that if MCTD could defend using a sterotype of Mexicans because it is outdated, then logically he must defend an outdated stereotype of black people and consider it ok to use the “n” word, which he specifically did not. In other words his position, such as it is, is not consistent.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was wondering what the odds of him choosing that car accidentally would be, then I saw this on facebook

whatever number plate he got the odds are roughly that – ie very long indeed as it is with your number plate and mine- ie all number plates – 1 or there abouts. It does not show they knew or did it on purpose. They may have been unlucky but it is hard to be sure as it seems unlikely they would go there and not mention the Falklands,

Kryton57

MoreCashThanDash

The N word is offensive because of it’s historical connection with slavery, “slope” is offensive because of it’s historical use. There are genuine reasons why those terms are offensive.

Calling all Mexicans lazy, or all Scots people fat, or all Scousers work shy, or all Irish people thick, or Welsh people sheep botherers, those are (inaccurate) but commonly used stereotypes used for humorous effect, and have been for decades. The INTENT in their use is for fun, not to offend.

Extending my argument and twisting it to say that the N word must therefore also be OK is what someone on here recently termed “exaggerative whataboutery” – an extreme and completely false attempt to twist the debate into something it is not purely to score imaginery points in the forum game.

I’m glad some on here understood the point I was trying to make, I was wondering if I was completely thick or had lost the use of the English language.

Now I’m off to bed, I suspect I’ll have a busy day of being taken out of context ahead of me tomorrow. 🙄

project
    Free Member

Well said More cash, and pity yopu deleted your post Kryton.

Junkyard
    Free Member

(inaccurate) but commonly used stereotypes used for humorous effect, and have been for decades. The INTENT in their use is for fun, not to offend.

Big assumption and utter bollocks yes the irish are thick and scousers lazy is just “banter” and humour 😕 they piss themselves laughing everytime it is sad to them and every single person who does this is having a laugh.
    People dont call a race fat lazy or stupid for humour anymore than they say jews are avaricious or blacks stupid for a laugh.

I’m glad some on here understood the point I was trying to make

Unfortunately you failed to make the point you tried to and DrJ was correct about your argument being inconsistent .
    TBH its barking and makes no sense at all.It’s ok to be racist as long as the racism is inaccurate ??? what sort of racism is accurate? Seriously what racism is accurate – it makes no sense to say this.
    Your argument is gibberish and DrJ explained why.

anagallis_arvensis

Calling all Mexicans lazy, or all Scots people fat, or all Scousers work shy, or all Irish people thick, or Welsh people sheep botherers, those are (inaccurate) but commonly used stereotypes used for humorous effect, and have been for decades. The INTENT in their use is for fun, not to offend.

I would be offended if you called me a sheep shagger.

Gary_C

Wonder what happend to the cars they left behind?

They were moved into storage in an Argentine customs building.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 318 total)

The topic ‘"poor us" Top Gear lot’ is closed to new replies.