Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Poor response from a fellow STW seller
  • jonnyrockymountain

I recently bought a pair of 29er singlespeed wheels of here (velofrog) Mike Ruxton

His description and email response was fine, purchased the wheels, received them and they looked fine and in the condition as described, so was happy, i started to put the tyres on but could for the life of me get anywhere near with the front tyre, i tried various ones i had in my garage, different makes etc but couldn’t even get one side on, so i email mike asking him what tyres he used? which he replied quickly with he bought them of someone and the tyres were not fitted so he could vouch that they had ever been on so said keep trying, so i took the wheel and my various tyre’s to my LBS and for a couple of our he tried i tried with my tyre’s some he had, but non got anywhere near, although we did manage to get one side of one tyre just on, but no chance of the other side, then took 30 mins to get it of!!!

so i emailed Mike again telling him the issue to which he then replied it had had a 2.35 Nobby nic on, so i quizzed him saying why he said he hadn’t and now changed his mind to say he had, his response was he wasn’t happy with me calling him a lyer, so i emailed him asking for him to send me the tyre to see if it would go on, if it did i said i would drop the matter, anyway that was 2 week ago with no reply, i know its not a major issue but honesty is the key word here, im left with a wheel that i’m going to have to buy a new rim and re-spoke, costing me near £100 and he has just walked away.

So if any one knows him, give him a nudge or beware

cynic-al
    Free Member

*sharpens pitchfork*

sbob
    Free Member

so i emailed him asking for him to send me the tyre to see if it would go on, if it did i said i would drop the matter, anyway that was 2 week ago with no reply

You want him to send you his tyre that you haven’t bought?

I’d ignore you as well, you mentalist. 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    convert

What make and model are the rims?

leffeboy

Buys tape measure

jamesfts
    Free Member

Is the wheel brand new or has it been used?

If the latter then surely at some stage it has had a tyre on? I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to get a tyre on unless it was manufactured too big?

IHN

Buys a book on punctuation

leffeboy

(Btw, have you tried putting it on without rim tape just as a test? )

yunki
    Free Member

Was it this guy?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of a rim being manufactured oversize by mistake. If yours has been it’s a first for me. Some can be tight though, as said how much rim tape do you have fitted ?

DezB
    Free Member

Buying second hand stuff isn’t like buying from a shop. I’d either put it down to experience, or stick em on eBay.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Thought the tyres came with the wheels?

jekkyl

Welcome to the rest of the forum that isn’t the classifieds Jonny. 🙂

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Wow, over 3200 posts and 99% of them are in the for sale section.

letmetalktomark

I’m struggling to see the issue here.

Story changed …. could have been how the two questions were phrased.

Unless you have tried all the tyre combinations inc a NN then I would say you aren’t trying hard enough 😉

I’ll send you a 2.35” NN to try …… call it £10?

DezB
    Free Member

Rockhopper

…said the freeloading non-subscriber 😆

Andy

Assume OP will be repeating this post every day for the next three months until he gets the outcome needed? 😁

Hmmm bit of a pain though. Have you tried some of those schmancy tyre pliers?

woody2000

zilog6128

Bit harsh, I definitely recognise OP’s username & I never check the classifieds.

He does have a LOT of posts there though 🙂

bodgy
    Free Member

Who’s the midget with a bike?

frogstomp

bought a pair of 29er singlespeed wheels of here

Are you using singlespeed tyres?

To be fair, it’s only 5 items repeated 600 times each..

Seriously though, are you trying to set them up tubeless? The lack of ‘sag’ in the tubeless tape in the rim well could be the difference in getting them on or not..

stevied
    Free Member

So if any one knows him, give him a nudge or beware

I doubt he’ll see this as he tends to only post in the classifieds area 😉

DezB
    Free Member

To be fair, it’s only 5 items repeated 600 times each..

Prologo saddle anyone?  😉

frogstomp

Prologo saddle anyone?

No thanks, but if you here of anyone selling a brown, 90mm stem for my NS Rag+ let me know..

wwaswas

Is it just me that can’t see any point bumping FS threads other than to get them higher in your personal posting history page?

re: the OP – be interesting what an accurate rim circumference measurement is compared with others.

jekkyl

Tough crowd. Haven’t we all bought something from Jonny at one time or another. Pretty sure I have…

natrix
    Free Member

The original advert offered to supply the tyres with the wheels didn’t it??

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=381671

Earlier thread mentions difficulty of gettingtyres on to Ryde rims

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ryde-trace-25-trail-and-trace-29-enduro-rims-any-real-world-experience/

frogstomp

Tough crowd. Haven’t we all bought something from Jonny at one time or another. Pretty sure I have…

It has reminded me I need to measure up to see if the seatpost he has advertised will be suitable..

newrobdob
    Free Member

It’s a Ryde 24mm rim apparently according to the advert.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nope.  And I won’t be selling him anything either.

nixie

So you can’t get tyres onto a rim and this is somehow the sellers problem!

Unless the rim is actually not a 29er rim and its true then I don’t see anyway that this can be the sellers problem.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Have you tried setting it up non-tubeless, or even tubeless, but without the valve inserted? It might be possible to fit the tyre, then fit the valve.

TBH, I understand that you are frustrated, but this is not the sellers fault at all.

Northwind

I had a set of the XC version of these, they were a right bollocks to get tyres onto and I don’t think I could have done tubeless without a compressor. They’re from that era when people thought the secret to tubeless was to make everything tight, rather than to design good beads etc, so probably there’ll be some combos of tight tyres which won’t work at all well. But I got on with them OK, overall

DezB
    Free Member

A Hutchinson tyre might be the answer, or Michelin. Both easy to fit and don’t leak.

(Are you still with us Jonny?)

jonnyrockymountain

You lot are a tough crowd!!!!! my point was that this guy couldn’t tell me the truth when asking him a question, which is frustrating, 99% of people on here are genuine honest people, like a few posts have said i sell a lot in the classifieds and has anyone got anything negative to say about my sales ? probably not ? and if there has been any i have rectified the issue.

The rim in question is a ryde 28mm, and we have tried both with and without tubeless tape, i cant see a problem in him sending me the so called tyre that he said fitted, just to try, and then it him back send back, but to be honest i cannot see a tyre going on? as all the others i have tried are way off.

Like i said my issue is with his honesty and how he won’t reply to my emails and try and help out at all, the seller does have a small responsibility

Edukator
    Free Member

Could you measure the external diameter of the rim, please? And the height of the rim above the bead step and the wheel well. Manufacturers manufacture to standards so you need to be sure it isn’t standard before accusing the seller of anything.

funkmasterp

You need to strengthen those thumbs!

jonnyrockymountain

I have not accused the seller of anything, i clearly asked him what tyre was on the wheel before he sold it me, he replied he had never actually seen a tyre on it, but then retracted that and said it had a nobby nic on, that’s my issue with the honesty, i have then since asked if he could send me the tyre to try and if i can get it on, then the matter is closed.

As my title POOR RESPONSE from a fellow stw, thats all i’m stating?

The rim measures 635mm overall with a 3mm wall

legend
    Free Member

I would be ignoring you too with your tyre request, it serves no purpose. Can only assume the seller took the wheel to Kwikfit to have the tyre removed before selling – probably cost him a fortune in discs and pads as a result!

newrobdob
    Free Member

the seller does have a small responsibility

Not unless he sold you something that he misrepresented/lied about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Poor response from a fellow STW seller’ is closed to new replies.