Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Poor Garmin GPS Accuracy
  • Painey
    Free Member

Does anybody know if all Garmin GPS bike computers have the same GPS accuracy – i.e. not very good? I have an edge 200 and whilst it’s fine for most things, the gps logging can be a bit wayward on tight/twisty trails or on high speed descents.

I know this is reasonably well known and it’s a bottom of the range product etc but compared to some friends other Garmins (ones for running etc) it is very substandard.

I’m wondering whether upgrading to a better unit will solve these issues. I have tried contacting Garmin but they don’t answer their phone and their email support is very slow.

Just wondering what anybody thinks or if they know of a better alternative?

Cheers

wwaswas

I suspect the issue might be the sample rate rather than the gps accuracy.

I think you can switch it to some sort of ‘verbose’ mode where it samples more regularly?

dannybgoode

From memory the Edge 200 doesn’t have per second recording. I think it logs the position every 4 seconds so on a twisty techy descent at speed this will happen. Chuck in loss of reception every so often from pesky trees etc you’re a bit stuffed

The Edge 500 and 800 (and the 510 and 810) and their higher end running watches have per second recording (i.e they record the position every second) so tend not to have so many issues.

Cheers

Danny B

gren
    Free Member

200 employs auto/intelligent sampling. Which means less often in normal speak.

I’ve no doubt it underestimates your mileage as everything is straight lined. Doesn’t seem to make much of a difference on Strava though as it still matches you nicely to a segment. I find mine really accurate apart from the sampling issue and almost all of my trail riding is in the forest.

composite
    Free Member

I can confirm that the Edge 800 is pretty good when used with 1 second sampling. Never noticed it missed switch backs or anything like that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My 800 goes into auto pause round tight switchbacks, no effect on strava as it’s still logging time/position just not whilst it percieves no movement round the corner.

I think the running watches are sometimes better loggers for some as they get a better view of the sky, the view from the bars is often obscured by your torso.

In terms of the accuracy of the GPS chip itself there’ll be not much in it between models, even 10 years ago when I was into Sailing they’d do grouptests and the difference beteeen a £100 handheld and a built in system costing 10x that was small enough be inconsequential.

legend
    Free Member

I had a 200, it was terrible. Did side by side testing with my phone and the Mrs’ Forerunner – the Edge was very poor in comparison. Couldn’t even handle my commute to work properly, even returned it to give them the bebnefit of the doubt that mine was duff, the replacement was just as bad.

Had an image on Flickr showing the difference, will try n dig it out later

Also, it did screw up the likes of Strava – missed segments constantly

Painey
    Free Member

My edge 200 has missed me off segments on Strava a lot. It often doesn’t even have me anywhere near where I should be!!

TiRed

My 500 loses signal and is less accurate than my 500. Both set to auto.

dannybgoode

At TiRed – which of your 500’s is the less accurate. How can you even tell?!

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Poor Garmin GPS Accuracy’ is closed to new replies.