Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Poopy does Peddars (Way) there and back in a day…hopefully.🚵
  • Poopscoop

Well, after 3 years I managed to finish the the SDW last year. Famine/pestilence/poor navigation and crashes scuppered the first two attempts. I rode the SDW over 3 days bivvying along the way.

So the multi day SDW adventure begins tonight next to the A31!!

Time for something new this year and it needs to be a single day adventure for practical/Covid reasons. I need to end up back at the car this time too.
    I’m the fittest I’ve been for some time thanks to real life riding and Zwift. Still as weak as a baby compared to most of you guys but not bad for me.

Peddars Way seems to be a good route to try to complete, there and back in a day. Not very hilly, straight (to limit how much even I can get lost) and I’ve never ridden in Suffolk/ Norfolk at all before so it will be nice to explore some new countryside. I think it’s about 46 miles each way so it’ll be a big struggle for certain but an enjoyable one I’m sure.

I have the right tool for the job, a nice little Voodoo Bizango, ideal for the ride… So I’m not taking that, instead I’ll be riding my trusty Jeffsy 29er. Just because really.

I’ll be riding it one day over the next few weeks,a dry sunny day but not too hot would be ideal. An early start to allow for me going at a snail’s pace later in the day. No bivvy bag or overnight stuff so if I don’t get back to the car it’ll be an uncomfortable night. That’ll provide some motivation in sure.

Any tips guys? What’s it like getting water on the way in these unusual times? I’ll be taping flapjacks/ gels to the frame so should be ok for carbs. Pack carries 3L of water but I absolutely know that won’t last even close to long enough. I get through a lot of water when out as I’m a sweaty biffer.

Also, what’s the ground like up there? I live on the North Downs so I’m used to chalk, clay and flint.

Oh,I’ve got a gpx file but it’s a walkers route, I’m guessing the riding route is a little different?

Thanks guys!

Ogg

We’re riding it Sunday (from Cambridge to Thetford first), it will be very sandy in places finding water may be a struggle there’s a Bp garage as you cross over the a47 at swaffham but not much else on route by the looks of it!

Ogg
    Poopscoop

Thanks Ogg, let me know how you get on and good luck matey!

Edit: Not signed up for Komoot but I’ll sort that to look at you route, thanks again.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Look for churches on or near your route. A church will usually have a water source (ie a tap) tucked away somewhere outside.

sandboy

There was a tap at the church at South Acre, just off the route. Not ridden it for about 10 years so can’t confirm it’s still there?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Be watching this with interest as have plans to include Peddars way in a slightly longer trip – Peddar’s way joins the icknield way, which joins the ridgeway. So in theory I can do about 200miles from my house to the Norfolk cost all off-road.
    Icknield and Ridgeway are known to me, but know little about the Peddar’s way…other than it looks completely straight!

sandboy

The boy has informed me that there’s a shop at Castle Acre where they got food and drinks when riding it last year.

acsevens

I rode it last weekend. Conditions were pretty good, we had some rain last week so not too dusty / sandy. It’s pretty easy going, a mix of wooded single track, farm / forest tracks and quiet roads. Undulates a bit towards the north end but it’s Norfolk so still pretty flat.

There is a diversion after about 10 / 15 miles from the start where the trail turns into a footpath. Just ride on the footpath! The diversion is very boring and misses one of the best bits.

Not a lot of options for water at the moment. The shop is open at Castle Acre which is well stocked, and about the half way point. There is a garage / McDonalds when you cross the A47 near Swaffham. Apparently you can’t take bikes through the Drive Thru but they’re reopening fully on the 24th June.

I believe the shop at Ringstead near the end of route is open on limited hours, but we got there too late for that.

Otherwise as above you can usually find a tap at a church.

Enjoy, it’s a lovely route through some very quiet countryside.

konagirl
    Free Member

Ogg, it adds a few miles, but consider taking the NCN51 out of Cambridge to Bottisham, then turn left on the road past Lode, keep going and the NCN11 is signposted on the right. Take the NCN11 as far as Wicken and then road to Fordham, rather than the NCN51 / roads to Burwell; it’s a nicer route, wildlife, and very easy to follow once you get on the start. It’s signposted Lodes Way.

OP, I believe there is a mix of surfaces on the Peddar’s Way, the first bit through Thetford Forest area (if you are simply following the footpath) is a trail which can get muddy after rain; but there is also gravelled / hardcore track with a few bits of road. Most of the long straight section north of Castle Acre is a track but overgrown with grass so can be mucky. There are lots of marked trails in the Thetford area but they are generally well marked so just look for the acorn. There are quite a lot of turns before Castle Acre and very few afterwards! There are shops or tea rooms on-route in Castle Acre and Ringstead, and Great Massingham off route. There is an outside tap on the public toilets at the end of the Way at Holme, but I don’t know if the toilets are open. Be aware Roudham Heath picnic area off the A11 has a reputation! Enjoy the (big) day out.

Poopscoop

Some fantastic info there guys, massive thanks.
    There seems a lot of diversions on my Harvey map (yes, I’m sad enough to buy one even for this route, love maps though) right from the very start.

The start for walkers is at knettishall heath…. but if you cycle it starts at thetford and and doesn’t join the peddars until just before the A11!

Erm, what’s the “get owrf my land/ your not allowed to ride here” brigade like on peddars?

I see online a lot of MXers seem to regard it as fair game(!) so little old me on a cycle shouldn’t be an issue should it?

piemonster

Bit of a thread hijack.

Any suggestions for riding the PW as a loop from Kings Lynn?

acsevens

My understanding was the cycle route also started at knettishall Heath. That’s certainly where I’ve always ridden from! You won’t get any grief if you do, I’m pretty sure the signs say bikes allowed. It will also mean you don’t have to go into Thetford…

Yes apparently some of the sections are designated as greenways so you might see some MXers. Saw a few at the weekend but they were no bother.

It’s a pretty well trodden path for cyclists so you shouldn’t have any issues. It is Norfolk though so never rule anything out! (Born and inbred here so allowed to say that)

Poopscoop

Thanks acsevens, I’ll start from that point and see how it goes then. Can’t find any safe parking nearby really? Dave as meaning, as a last resort,I might not get back to the car till the next day… So don’t want it locked in at a gated parking area or such or where it’ll attract unwanted attention. The car is nothing special though!

I’ll meet any “queries” I get along the way with a polite reply anyway, just as I usually would.

Just don’t want to feel like an “outlaw” lol. I want to enjoy the ride/adventure and be left alone basically.

racefaceec90

good luck to you sir 👍 🚴

Poopscoop

I’ll bleedin’ need it.lol

It’ll be my longest single day ride ever. Ok or off road.

Think I’ll take my Exposure light along with me…could be a long day/night.

Moe

I think the sand is damped down nicely at the moment ….. though a canoe might be the better weapon of choice! 😬

pictonroad

I grew up on Peddars Way, (and now live just off the SDW), should be a nice easy ride in comparison!

If you’re taking photos, please grab a shot of this new house here:

It’s just as you drop down the hill into Ringstead travelling North, pretty much on the very first bit of tarmac.

They knocked down the house I grew up in, I’d love to see what’s been built. 👍🏻😎

Poopscoop

Pictonroad,

I’ll genuinely do my best to set that addy on my phone to remind me to take some pics for you mate.👍

cheers_drive

@picton road, I didn’t realise that you hale from that part of the world. Did you go to Smithdon?

Poopscoop

https://www.komoot.com/tour/204296812

I’ve plotted this. Basically it’s the walking route…

For expediency/ “get of my land” reasons I can take the designated detours.

Anyone able to give me pointers as to wherever I need to modify the route? Ie. The very start is through an SSSI which isn’t ideal…

pictonroad

@picton road, I didn’t realise that you hale from that part of the world. Did you go to Smithdon?

Just along the same road, Glebe House School.

The good country. 😎 Love it up there.

Ogg

@poopscoop we rode it yesterday, joined Peddars way at Brettenham and followed the obvious route.
    Water/food wise without going off route there’s nothing other than Castle Acre shop+chip shop and a BP garage/mcdonalds at Swaffham A47.
    This weeks rain had firmed up a lot of the sand so it was fairly fast flowing mixed with big old puddles what isn’t single/double track offroad is really quiet rural roads.
    We took 3.5 hours to ride to Ringstead including 30 minutes of stops – but that’s going North so we had a mild tailwind
    Saw a few people out on the trail but not enough to be annoying – fit a bell if you don’t have one though there’s quite a few blind corners.

Peddars way

Strava route

Poopscoop

The bloomin’ “@” function doesn’t work anymore?😟

Thanks for posting mate and the update on the water/food availability is most welcome. I’ll be ok for food (I’ll tape flapjacks/gels to the frame etc) but the water into is very handy,cheers!

Was tempered to try this coming week but going during a big heatwave might not be a good idea. Lol

Poopscoop

Exit: Oh, thanks for the strava route too matey!

Poopscoop

Well, wish me luck. Just starting.

Hoping Zwift and 4 stone weight loss will get me the 92 miles there and back!👍😁

piemonster

Enjoy @Poopscoop

Photos are expected

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Good luck!

Poopscoop

First proper stop, castle acre.

Tried to ride through the ford…..

I didn’t make it.

Feeling good though.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Good luck with the mission, don’t neglect the fuel and fluid, it’s going to be a warm day!

robbo1234biking

Good luck poopscoop!

reluctantjumper

Following with interest, love a good p-p ride.

Poopscoop

Yeah baby yeah!

Poopscoop

On way back now.

South is down hill right?

cinnamon_girl

Good work Poopscoop and do hope you stopped for an ice cream.

Poopscoop

Clocked up 37 miles on the return, celebrated with a pre.

Civid party at the ford so didn’t try it again.

Poopscoop

A little overgrown due to lockdown I think. I almost didn’t wear gloves for today…

stumpy01

Nice one! I’m doing it with 3 friends next weekend.
    Any tips & advice beyond the above?
    We were planning on parking at Thetford station and cycling to the route from there…

It’s it quite a fast surface? I’m imagining the hard packed sand/soil like you get at Thetford forest…

Did you end up in Hunstanton? We’re planning on stopping for fish and chips, although the queues might be a bit nuts…

matt_outandabout

Go on mr_poopster.

tobymc

Beautifully composed pic of the Ford party!
    Lovely day for a nice ride – double thumbs up emoji!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Poopy does Peddars (Way) there and back in a day…hopefully.🚵’ is closed to new replies.