Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Pook makes the Daily Mail. – Trail Sabotage!
  • jekkyl

Well done Chris, picked up from the Sheffield paper.. but raising awareness none the less.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7239923/Anti-cyclist-saboteurs-leave-medieval-style-booby-traps-injure-bike-riders-road-trails.html

I wouldn’t read the comments iiwy.

Onzadog
    Free Member

He’s just about to go on air for the other Daily Mail (Jeremy Vine show in radio 2).

Trimix
    Free Member

Sadly the commnents in the Dailymail artical make depressing reading.

teamslug
    Free Member

The Peak District incidents were mentioned on The Today Programme this morning on Radio 4.

Bez

Why would you even bother reading Daily Mail comments? You’d get better-reasoned conversation by going into a Yates’s Wine Lodge at closing time, kicking a bloke in the nuts and then asking him what he thinks about Proust.

I mean, the same applies to Daily Mail articles, except the bloke you kicked is the one without a tattoo on his forehead.

Pook

The Daily mail and the Sky News article have been the inaccurate ones (to the point of getting things I said completely wrong). The rest have been ok.

NewRetroTom

There was an article on STW a while back arguing that more publicity about this kind of thing is not necessarily good.

Technical Difficulties: Listen All Y’all, It’s A Sabotage…

Pook

But most of the time, we don’t need angry keyboard warriors, we need people who are prepared to talk to land managers and other user groups, build alliances, get them to understand us, and in turn relay their concerns back to mountain bikers. It’s less fun and more effort than forming an online lynch mob, but no amount of bile-filled comments or clicks on the share button are going to sort out trail sabotage.

Yep. Come and join Peak District MTB folks. We’re doing our damnedest #BeNiceSayHi

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I see they included a stealth tip for aspiring trappers. Not really true though.

DrP

From the comments:

Dorking to Leatherheah has a bypass and a cycle track runs along side the road. Unfortunately the bikes don’t use the track and travel as a pack on the dual carriageway. No wonder people detest them and laugh their socks off when they see them trying to repair a puncture.

AND then 2 down..

I often walk my dogs along a bridleway that has since been designated a cycle route by Sustrans. Part of it is paved and is used by primary school children to walk to and from school to save a much longer walk.

Not that a lot of the cyclists who use it care judging how they hammer along.

I’ve seriously considered asking the council if there is such a thing as cyclist speed reduction measures that can be taken. Walking out onto it

it’s difficult to see cyclists and you certainly can’t hear them because of the noise from a

nearby dual carriageway

. I’ve not been hit yet but have been pelted by grit thrown up by a skidding cyclist who didn’t see my little dog until he was on top of us and had to brake hard. I hadn’t a clue he was coming up behind. There will be an accident at some point, I’m sure of it.

So, do you want us to use the path or the road????

You.
    Genuinely.
    Couldn’t.
    Make.
    it.
    Up.

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

Why would you even bother reading Daily Mail comments?

They’re the ones who can’t remember the website address where you put Youtube comments.

Phil_H

I’ve not been hit yet but have been pelted by grit thrown up by a skidding cyclist who didn’t see my little dog until he was on top of us and had to brake hard. I hadn’t a clue he was coming up behind. There will be an accident at some point, I’m sure of it.

I bet the dog was on one of those retractable strings that you hardly see until it’s nearly too late.

jekkyl

I’m gonna have to add a comment about that lad in the pics not wearing a helmet! In an article about mtb safety speaking as an ambassador of the sport 😲😉.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Why would you even bother reading Daily Mail comments? You’d get better-reasoned conversation by going into a Yates’s Wine Lodge at closing time, kicking a bloke in the nuts and then asking him what he thinks about Proust.

Yup the mistake is thinking you are dealing with rational and reasonable people.

All this just fuels the gammon hate machine, provides jorno’s with fodder, and encourages more braindeads to get involved.

Pook

WHAT AN IDIOT!!

I did the photos in my lunch. Went down, forgot maxle. Came back, got maxle, forgot helmet. Did photos, went home, helmet rolled out from under my passenger seat.

Of course, each to their own with helmet wearing. But I’ve been controversial enough today

Pook

So, just ignore it then? Until someone gets really hurt?

teethgrinder

The Daily Mail is written by **** for ****.

ta11pau1

The same ‘people’ who walk 4 abreast down a SHARED USE PATH and when you say “excuse me” after ringing your bell from hundreds of feet away they jump out of their skin when they realise a bike is behind them.

You wouldn’t walk down the middle of a single lane country road and be shocked when a car approaches, would you 🤣🙄

Oh and why, when there’s more than 2 people walking, do they always split one on each side you have to go between them and risk hitting them? How hard is it to both walk on one side?!

I feel some daily mail comments coming on…

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Its crazy and very sad but has been going on for years just seems to pop up really badly at certain times namely the Summer we had this problem for a couple of years in a wood called Cranham above Gloucester the guy was breaking down branches at head height down trails then throwing down nails and tacks on one bit which my mate got two flats I pick up over half a carry bag full nails etc ok a flat is a pain but what about dog walkers and wildlife just pure madness then years back people were digging holes in the Forest Of Dean and covering them up mate went down one had to have stitches in his chin no hope with some people.

ndg
    Free Member

Oh and why, when there’s more than 2 people walking, do they always split one on each side you have to go between them and risk hitting them? How hard is it to both walk on one side?!

Normally after crossing over each other to get there!

NewRetroTom
    marsbarman
    Free Member

Honestly the comments made that article.

There’s a few trail centres near me that specifically state the trail of for cycle use only.. Yet every summer you can guarantee that there will family of 4 pushing a pram and a balance bike down a red rated route.

Absolutely love it.

kerley
    Free Member

So, just ignore it then? Until someone gets really hurt?

Nope, just ignore the Daily Mail. I won’t even open a link to the Daily Mail as there is no point, I already know the reporting will be bad and biased and any comments will be worse.

snaps
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

Nice one pook.

Pook

Cheers for the support everyone. Its been a fascinating and exhausting week. I’ll summarise it one day when I Have the energy.

The focus now I think, as the eyes of the population are on the MTB community sympathetically, should be to big up everything that’s good about it. Advocacy. collaboration, fun, exercise, mental health. We’ve a unique opportunity to promote the sport. Itd be a real shame to miss it.

Bimblers unite

locum76
    Free Member

Preach. That sounds like a plan.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Pook makes the Daily Mail. – Trail Sabotage!’ is closed to new replies.