Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Poll – 50/50 split 'tween clipless and clips
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

What does this mean? I always thought “clips” were the old school way of attaching shoes to pedals using various bits of metal, leather etc. “Clipless” is a pedal that requires cleats to clip your shoes in e.g. an SPD. Is that right?

If so, where is the option in the poll “50/50 split between clipless and flats”, which I’m sure must be pretty common these days? 🙂

I don’t understand it either, but it’s got 22 votes so far.

rootes1

Clipless = look, spd, etc etc i.e no toe clip

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah, i ticked flats, as more riding time on flats, but I do have spd fitted bike, and spd pedals for other bikes for when the mood takes me…

asterix
    Free Member

I suspect some people are so young (imagine that!) that they don’t remember toe clips with leather straps and, therefore, they assume spds etc to be clips (becasue they er clip you feet to the pedals) and so then call flats “clipless”

rootes1

^ yer true noticed that some of the GB womens team refer to look style pedals as ‘clips’

brakes
    Free Member

clipless pedals really is a stupid name for them.
    I think it should remain.

unklehomered
    Free Member

In fairness we do say “clip in” – as in “Argh crap I can’t clip in!!!” when starting on a rocky down. A problem toe clips would likely solve now I think about it… Oh no, they’d just be upside down and snag really wouldn’t they. Scrap that, silly idea…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Poll – 50/50 split 'tween clipless and clips’ is closed to new replies.