Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 214 total)
  • Political Correctness (Gervais, Twitter, possibly offensive word content)
  • grum
    Free Member

Time for my 2nd favourite pie chart

I’d classify myself as ‘morally helpless’

mudshark
    Free Member

So what sort of people are fans of Ricky? I did like The Office and Extras but get the impression that they were good due to the writing more than Ricky’s performance – and Steven Merchant was the funny on really. So now we see Ricky in Hollywood films but can he act? I don’t think so or indeed particularly amusing in these roles if his comic appeal can take away from his lack of acting talent. I watched a film recently about a museum where the exhibits came alive at night, it was a pretty good family film really and he had a minorish role in that but why? Any actor could have done what he did.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

As the very proud dad of a little ‘un with learning difficulties, I’ve got bigger things to worry about than some overpaid / undertalented luvvie spouting juvenile crap then attempting to justify it. Yes, I get mildly irritated by these sort of comments, but as I said, there are bigger issues to get wound up about.

chakaping
    Free Member

Time for my 2nd favourite pie chart

Does your favourite one relate to graphic designers by any chance?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think we also need to be careful about the way we refer to people with disabilities or special needs.

It is not appropriate to refer to someone as ‘downs’. e.g. 2someone who is downs” That someone has Downs Syndrome or even Downs as a short form. People are not ‘special needs’ they have special needs. To refer to a person by their disability removes their humanity, a bit. It focuses on the disability, not the person.

BruceWee

There’s a lot of sense in what Stewart Lee says but at the same time I think there’s a big difference between language and the intention behind language.

Yes, the term Mong would be offensive when used to describe someone with Down Syndrome but wouldn’t it also be offensive to call someone with Down Syndrome an idiot?

At the same time, why is it OK for me to call my friend an idiot for doing something stupid but not OK to call him a mong?

For a lot of people the original definition for mong has been lost. I’m thirty and I had no idea it was used to describe people with Down Syndrome until I read this thread. Mind you, I don’t think I’ve ever used the term mong at all. I prefer f**ktard.

But yes, Gervais is being a ****.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Does your favourite one relate to graphic designers by any chance?

No, but I think I know the one you mean 🙂
    My favourite one involves a chart with pictures of pies and the nearest place to buy them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sadly the term “Mong” seems to be used increasingly in schools. My son has had it used against him. He wasn’t upset but when I reminded him that his friend’s sister has DS he recognised that is was not a term that should be used.

But it is a hard thing to know where to draw the line – looney, special needs etc. All of these terms are derogatory and best avoided. But comedy often feels the need to tread on these kinds of toes.

On the PC issue and comedy. I noticed that Mock the Week did a joke section on the Bible. Can you imagine if this had been about other religious works. Why is acceptable to joke about the Bible in isolation? Either all or nothing, surely?

MrsToast
    Free Member

So do Mongolians get pissed when people with Downs Syndrome are refered to as Mongs? Probably not.

“The World Health Organization (WHO) officially dropped references to mongolism in 1965 after a request by the Mongolian delegate”

Yeah, I think they did get a bit miffed (earlier than I thought, thought it was the late 1970s).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m reporting a number of people on this thread, including myself. Expect bannings people! 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

The implication of calling someone a mong is that it is that to have Down Syndrome is to be deserving of ridicule. Most of us wouldn’t laugh at someone with Down Syndrome but people do – mostly kids perhaps but we’re supposed to grow out of it right?

grum
    Free Member

For a lot of people the original definition for mong has been lost. I’m thirty and I had no idea it was used to describe people with Down Syndrome until I read this thread.

I’m thirty too and I did know the association.

At the same time, why is it OK for me to call my friend an idiot for doing something stupid but not OK to call him a mong?

I think the difference is that idiot has gone much further in losing it’s original meaning – whereas for many people mong hasn’t. I also think as someone mentioned above talking to your mate is different to broadcasting things on the internet. Something people often seem to forget on here too.

DezB
    Free Member

If I find a comedian funny, he can say whatever he/she wants in the context of his/her act and I’ll laugh. I see no place for political correctness in good comedy.
    Other people might and that’s their choice.
    By the same token, if I don’t find a comedian funny, I don’t f*^ing listen to them, so I cannot be offended by what they say.
    For example, if Patrick Kielty used “Flid” in his act, I wouldn’t complain, cos I wouldn’t KNOW ABOUT IT. Not until all the internet whingers came out and made it news. Then I still wouldn’t complain, because he’s crap and I don’t care enough about him to be bothered.
    Christ, the World is pathetic these days. I’m getting off.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Of course the other part of this is that Gervais was doing this with what he called his ‘mong face’. I wonder what he thought the face was meant to represent? probably not someone too stoned to move. As others have said, there may be some contexts in which ‘mong’ is acceptable, but it sounds to be that here he was mimicking someone for laughs. That’s just not defensible.

Junkyard
    Free Member

wow the serious side o Dr CM and he is correct
    Not a phrase or term i would use

Then again i dont refer to rubbish things as gay o rwish I could still but gollywogs.

I suspect when most people use these words they dont mean the offence that is actually there.

Mike_D
    Free Member

I interrupt this thread for my favourite pie chart:

We now return you to your normal programming.

BruceWee

I think the difference is that idiot has gone much further in losing it’s original meaning – whereas for many people mong hasn’t. I also think as someone mentioned above talking to your mate is different to broadcasting things on the internet. Something people often seem to forget on here too.

Isn’t it better to allow these terms to lose their original meaning over time? Language changes all the time and I think we spend too much time concentrating on the language rather than intention. If I knew someone who used every un-PC term going but never used them to cause harm to someone else then I wouldn’t have a problem it.

Someone who religiously avoided every un-PC term but did their best to make people with Down Syndrome feel like their lives were less important I would have serious issues with.

aracer
    Free Member

Dear fans. Don’t give the haters any attention. Those people aren’t really offended by the things I say – they are offended by my success because I’m an untalented t**t

FTFH

BruceWee

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-Ct8J0LT0&feature=related[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

So its true he has disappeared so far up his own arse he cannot even see reality.
    He probably actually believes that what a shame

f I knew someone who used every un-PC term going but never used them to cause harm to someone else then I wouldn’t have a problem it.

Someone who religiously avoided every un-PC term but did their best to make people with Down Syndrome feel like their lives were less important I would have serious issues with.

The chances of this occusring are very slim.
    It is far more likely that someone who uses derogatory terms agress with these attitudes [ but not always.
    If someone call someone a **** what would you think for example?
    You are correct though we[ me and my fellow PC brigader thought policers] are trying to eliminate attitudes not words. Words do often refelct your attitude though

BruceWee

If someone call someone a **** what would you think for example?

Well, if someone calls someone from the Asian sub-continent a **** then it’s probably meant to be offensive.

I’ve never heard of anyone calling someone a **** in any other context.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m quite dark and was called a **** occassionaly in my youth. And ‘Gadaffi’s son’ when we were angry with him in the 80s 😉

miketually
    Free Member

So do Mongolians get pissed when people with Downs Syndrome are refered to as Mongs? Probably not.

“The World Health Organization (WHO) officially dropped references to mongolism in 1965 after a request by the Mongolian delegate”

Yeah, I think they did get a bit miffed (earlier than I thought, thought it was the late 1970s).

Wasn’t the name of the Mongolian delegate Downs? So, they named the syndrome after him.

mogrim

Another interruption, one of my favourite pie charts:

Cougar

Why is acceptable to joke about the Bible in isolation? Either all or nothing, surely?

Christians tend not to send in bombers when you criticise their religion (outside of Northern Ireland, anyway).

Isn’t that where offence is actually justified? We’ve got this arse-backwards. Referring to Down’s Syndrome as “mongolism” because sufferers allegedly resemble people from the Mongol Empire must surely be way more offensive to people hailing from, say, modern day Mongolia.

If we started referring to jaundice as “Japanism,” I’d expect the Japanese might have more to say about it than the jaundiced.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m with Stewart Lee on this, but it’s also about context: there are words that I’ll use in some situations, but not in others.

Of course, if I were a massive self-publicist I might deliberately use a word that I know will be controversial knowing that the people who buy my books/DVDs will think I’m a genius for being “anti-PC”.

miketually
    Free Member

Why is acceptable to joke about the Bible in isolation? Either all or nothing, surely?

Presumably, the comedian was from a Christian background, as were most of his audience? If he made a joke about the Muslims and their massive golden horse, the audience wouldn’t have got the joke.

miketually
    Free Member

Well, if someone calls someone from the Asian sub-continent a **** then it’s probably meant to be offensive.

Is there a shop near you run by a dark-skinned guy with a turban? What’s it called? What was it called in the 70s/80s?

chakaping
    Free Member

I wonder if this problem would disappear if we replaced the term “political correctness” with “common decency”?

Try reading some of the above comments and substituting the latter for the former.

Cougar

if someone calls someone from the Asian sub-continent a **** then it’s probably meant to be offensive.

This is a classic example, isn’t it.

“****” is a contraction of Pakistani, ie, someone from Pakistan. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s no more offensive in and of itself than calling someone from Scotland a “Scot.”

The problem stems from it being commonly preceded by “f—ing” and succeeded by “bastards” by racist halfwits in the 80s. So now it’s deemed to automatically be a racist slur, which is frankly bloody stupid.

You are correct though we… are trying to eliminate attitudes not words. Words do often refelct your attitude though

Excellent way of putting it. Words are just words. Except when they aren’t.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mogrim, that’s more of a tart than a pie isn’t it?

Sorry, I mean a sex professional.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is there a shop near you run by a dark-skinned guy with a turban? What’s it called? What was it called in the 70s/80s?

A sikh shop?

🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    Of course, if I were a massive self-publicist I might deliberately use a word that I know will be controversial knowing that the people who buy my books/DVDs will think I’m a genius for being “anti-PC”.

I don’t think he is that clever – I think he genuinely does not understand.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Couldnt agree with you more chakaping. It’s too easy to act like an offensive nobber, and then attempt to justify it by accusing people of being ‘pc’, as though they’re the ones in the wrong. Even so, I’ll stand by my earlier comment that I have bigger concerns than the juvenile remarks of a smug chancer.

crankboy
    Free Member

Idiot is a Greek word meaning person with no professional qualification

In ancient times used to imply someone with no interest in politics IE civil life. so stupid and self centered .

It’s a term of abuse I’ll carry on with.

As a teenager cretin was my favorite insult till i went on exchange to France and started to mortally offend people i liked.

The origin of Mong is really not that obvious today but once you know it’s origin it is hard to ever justify using it.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The stuff about attitudes is dead right.

Whether or not Ricky Gervais meant any offence, his loyal followers certainly did when they started flaming people who expressed their offence with the same insult. That’s just nasty and disrespectful.

BruceWee

Fair point, hadn’t though of that.

However, if it had just been used to describe the shop then I don’t think anyone would have been offended, any more than referring to a Norwegian as a Noggy is offensive now. As mentioned above though, it was so often used in an offensive way that the word itself became offensive.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The problem stems from it being commonly preceded by “f—ing” and succeeded by “bastards” by racist halfwits in the 80s. So now it’s deemed to automatically be a racist slur, which is frankly bloody stupid.

it is and it is not stupid

You cannot ignore the way a word is used from its actual meaning.
    I am not sure the n word was actually derogatory to start with either and was meant to be descriptive but it use has led to it being what it is ….deemed so offensive we only say the n word.

Other examples include the way we often hear word stupid woman [ probably stupid bastard for a man I assume??/], bloody women drivers rather than just stupid or bloody bad drivers

Clealry they convey something about the speakers views.
    Yes we should be able to use **** like we use Scot but we cannot for the reason you state.
    My white mate [teacher in a primary school] working in Burnley is on a one man mission to reclaim it though…it has not worked yet.

D0NK

Blimey! You learn something new every day!

that is a point, if you have to be educated before you realise it’s offensive to some people is it still un-PC. Of course you have to check if your need to be educated is due the term not being used in it’s original context any more or whether you are just thick* 🙂

*wonders about the etymology of thick

Cougar

Are you saying all corner shops are run by Asians? Racist.

You refer of course to the “**** shop,”(*) or corner shop. What are it’s distinguishing features? Well, it’s a shop, it’s on a corner, and it’s run by a gentleman from Pakistan. Why is one of those facts offensive and not the others? Are we suggesting perhaps that there’s something inherently wrong with being from Pakistan?

I went to the Chinese chip shop yesterday. At the weekend I might go for an Indian. Why aren’t these offensive terms when ‘**** shop’ is?

(*) – Incidentally, when I was little, we always referred to the shop in question as the ‘offy’ or off-licence.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘Political Correctness (Gervais, Twitter, possibly offensive word content)’ is closed to new replies.