• This topic has 61 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Policeman Murdered Investigating Burglary
  • outofbreath
    Free Member
    anagallis_arvensis

Just down the road from me, very sad.

MoreCashThanDash

A tragic case, awful for his family and colleagues.

I’m afraid I’m not really surprised though. Increasing crime, increasing violent crime, and reduced Police resources means fewer officers dealing with more – potentially violent – incidents.

The Police are not without some very vocal critics on here, and sometimes with good reason, but I’d hope that this awful incident will make people appreciate the awful job that society expects them, the other emergency services, prison officers and other front line workers to have to do.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Tory Britain for you.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Terrible.

The only redeeming thing is that this is still a relatively rare event that people find shocking.

bails

Horrible. I’ve seen some things on news sites that suggests he was knocked down and dragged under a car, along with a photo of quite a long trail of blood. What an awful way to go.
    The officer in Birmingham who was run over last week could have ended up the same.

I imagine they’ll struggle to get a murder charge to stick though*. If they can ID the driver then they’ll admit to death by dangerous driving, it’ll be explained as trying to flee, accidentally hit the officer and didn’t realise he was under the car, with no proof they intended to hurt or kill anyone. If they can’t ID the driver I don’t know if the joint venture laws apply to driving offences.

*For clarity, I don’t want that to be the case, I just think it’s what will happen.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I imagine they’ll struggle to get a murder charge to stick though

Yeah, I started the thread a bit too sharpish. Seems this wasn’t a murder in the sense that the initial media stories implied.

Tragic, but *probably* not deliberate on the part of the perpetrator.

wrightyson
    Free Member

^^^ has that been mis posted^^^

thegreatape
    Free Member

It certainly can be murder if there is evidence that the driver deliberately hit him. We have a similar case going to court later this year, although thankfully the charge there is attempted murder.

Bregante

As above. Impossible to say whether or not there is sufficient to prosecute for murder from what is being reported. We know almost nothing of the facts of the case at this stage.

RIP to a colleague.

cookeaa

I know the location, it’s near one of my regular road routes and I used to commute past when I worked in Newbury…

Co-worker reckons there was a lot of police activity this morning near one of the local villages, he seemed to imply there was a traveler connection, but I’m not sure he was basing that on much in the way of known facts…

Very sad event whatever the circumstances. My thoughts are with his family.

dyls

If they deliberately mowed down the policeman and then carried on driving – then 100% intention.

chewkw
    Free Member

In Newcastle two days ago a solicitor was stabbed to death in the broad daylight at the busy shopping centre where I used to walk pass almost everyday.

Newcastle Chronicle

Tory Britain for you.

You mean pseudo Tory? If it is real Tory there would be capital punishment.
    The power to stop and search was taken away or reduce drastically long time ago due to complaints from certain people for infringing on their human rights so there you go.

ajaj
    Free Member

“The power to stop and search was taken away long time ago”

…by Theresa May, the Conservative Home Secretary. To further her aim of a mixed civilian, privatised police force and a paramilitary armed forces (like the gendarmerie). A very Conservative ideal.

Back on topic, there was a similar case recently that went to trial and sentencing but I recall the case being controversial for the lenient sentence. Anyone else remember?

tails
    Free Member

You’d hope if someone has deliberately ran someone over they’d be charged with murder, but you seem to be able to plough over cyclist without so much as a slap on the wrist. So I’m sceptical.

If it is travellers they’ll no doubt get the 14 year old to take the blame.

ajaj
    Free Member

This is the case I was thinking of, some more detail on what happened and the appeal court reasoning..

handybar
    Free Member

The police arrested 10 people under a murder investigation, now they are calling it a “tragic incident” – I fear politics is playing a role here and that this brave officer’s family will not get the justice they deserve. I hope I’m wrong.

ajaj
    Free Member

This is Thames Valley. Unlike the Met the senior ranks will throw the rank and file under a bus at the drop of a hat.

orangeorange
    Free Member

Guaranteed to be an incident involving Travellers,with that many people and with participants that young

bails

– I fear politics is playing a role here

What politics?

granny_ring

Saw the news this evening, scum.
    It tugged the heart strings. Very sad indeed.
    Thoughts are with his wife and family.

siwhite
    Free Member

A terrible day for us. I finished my shift about 20 minutes before this job started coming in – some of my team were still on when I woke up this morning. I didn’t know Andrew especially well, but he was on the unit that I used to work with – I can’t tell you the number of cars I’ve stopped in identical circumstances – there but for the grace of God go I.

Sandwich

The power to stop and search was taken away or reduce drastically long time ago

And Priti Vacant’s offer of increased S60 powers was turned down by WMP just recently as they said they had sufficient powers under the previous iteration to do their job properly. Extra powers are not required when there are insufficient people on foot to carry out the job it just leads to more blind-eyes being turned.

outofbreath
    Free Member

@siwhite, respect to you and your colleagues.

Bregante

The thoughts of GMP are with you and your colleagues at TVP siwhite.

look out for yourself and your colleagues. My Mrs is still very much involved in Peer Support despite having left after 21years. I’m sure she would be able to offer some good advice if you know any of those closely affected.

deluded
    Free Member

The same sentiments as Bregante, @siwhite. All the best at this terrible time from an Avon and Somerset colleague.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Likewise from Scotland

yoshimi

Gypsies think they’re a law unto themselves – it won’t bring a loved one back but can only hope the family gets the justice it deserves

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

We’re well overdue an automatic doubling of custodial sentences for any assaults or worse inflicted on frontline emergency service workers.

It’s the least we could do given the complete scum they now have to deal with on our behalf.

natrix
    Free Member

you seem to be able to plough over cyclist without so much as a slap on the wrist.

Exactly, but this was a police officer so the response is massively different…………………..

Drac

Absolutely tragic I’ve a huge respect for the police working alongside them regularly. Thoughts with his family and colleagues.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

you seem to be able to plough over cyclist without so much as a slap on the wrist.

Exactly, but this was a police officer so the response is massively different…………………..

No not massively different because it was a police officer… massively different because one is an example of an accident with no intent, one is not an accident with intent to mame or kill. So couldn’t be more different. Plenty of examples of non police officers being deliberately run down by cars where murder or attempted murder charges have been brought and stuck. The weapon matters not, wether its a car, knife or gun it’s irrelevant.

Don’t understand this disrespect for police a lot of people have. Sure there are some bad eggs and some parts are institutionally corrupt or have been in the past, but no different to any other organisation. Plenty of examples of doctors and nurses killing people and covering up horrendous systemic failings that have cost the lives of countless people, but we don’t see the same bad attitude to doctors and nurses, just the opposite. No individual or organisation is immune to corruption or abuses of power. That has been proven since humans started to come together and form organisations.

Always a tragedy when people don’t come home from a day in the ‘office’. Even more so if they’re doing it in the line of duty.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for that wobbliscott – I tried to write something similar yesterday but gave up trying to articulate.

The Police do an unenviable job, and people who would not be prepared to do it themselves are often too quick to criticise. Yes, you may have had a shit experience with the Police, but constantly undermining them to show how edgy you are is a particularly negative.

CheesybeanZ

Gypsies think they’re a law unto themselves –

They are and have been for a long time.
    The current instant response when anything happens that thier involved in is call everyone a racist.

handybar
    Free Member

The government’s insidious politicisation of the police force, begun under New Labour, and escalated by Theresa May, has left it fundamentally unable to protect is own, whilst self-designated minority groups have effectively been granted diplomatic immunity.

Kryton57

RIP to the office and my commiserations to his family, what a tragedy.

I’d also like to say I find it quite nauseating that people jump on a thread such as this and have nothing to more compassionate to say other than to start a political argument.

lucero
    Free Member

Yes, this is exactly the reason. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised by comments like this during school holidays.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d also like to say I find it quite nauseating that people jump on a thread such as this and have nothing to more compassionate to say other than to start a political argument.

Agreed.

But there is a political back story to the current issues faced by the forces, isn’t there.

handybar
    Free Member

I noticed nobody reprimanded the political comment “That’s Tory Britain for you”, but as soon as a non-left wing political comment is posted, it is branded nauseating.

Drac

Can we please stop with the politics top trumps folks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Policeman Murdered Investigating Burglary’ is closed to new replies.