Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Police Officers Numbers
  • jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Ahhh the old I hate the police brigade, wonder what you’ll do when you leave work and realise your house has been broken into and several expensive items have been stolen.
    There are plenty of opportunities to have input and even a voluntary police service in which you could direct your efforts into perhaps making a small difference in changing the system that you believe is failing you.
    I have seen my parents both long term serving officers bang their head on the wall with frustration at times, due to the way certain scrotes and cases go scot free! But they genuinely offer 110% to make a difference, time and time again this is met with hostility, government cuts and lack of respect.

To the two bobbies on here, there are a few of us who respect and understand the job your trying to do, keep it up!

easygirl

I’ve stopped trying to justify myself as a bobby on here
    Just keep plugging on catching criminals and helping normal folk!
    Shit there I go again, you got me

wellhung
    Free Member

fisha – Member

sofatester – Member

Do Police Officers when asked what there PC number is are they legally required to do so?

Yes, though in asking this question you automatically fail the attitude test.

Generally, if asked my number by a person I was speaking to, I would give it out to the person – reality is that its quite often an empty threat from a smart arse … hence the fail of the attitude test so to speak.

Regarding wearing them: There is a set on my black body armour and a set on my yellow jacket. They are always left on. If not, its by accident, not by choice. Contrary to reported opinion, colleagues are decent folks and point out if you’re missing them on your shoulders ( thats if they haven’t turned them upside down that is ) As to whether its a legal requirement, TJ probably is right regarding it being policy

I wouldn’t have asked for his number therefore i wouldn’t have failed your test, however the PC involved failed my test(the bell end test) for his attitude alas he was wearing a Floro jacket with no visible numbers.

kilo

davesmate.

Police advice is to not put up a fight and give the scrotes what they want. I think this sends out the wrong message, you’re telling them to feel free to mug people at knifepoint, nobody will resist you. Surely the best advice would be to assess the situation, if you feel you can do something then do so.

I think the problem is the police can’t give advice to actively resist because the assessment of risk is very hard and tbh if the mugger has a knife you are likely to come of worst. Knives inflict catastrophic injuries very easily and sometimes without such an injury being the intended result, a wild slash can kill. In a previous job’s training we used to tackle a “knife man” with no kit other than handcuffs, bear in mind we knew we were going to fight the bloke and were up for it we always got stabbed 🙂

You are within your rights (common law and echr) to use reasonable, even lethal, force to defend yourself and won’t be prosecuted if you use reasonable force.

With regard to tracker devices for bikes you can get small gsm ones on e bay ( a mate was looking at them for his landrover) a bit of research may show battery ones that could be left in a saddle pouch under a spare tube if you’re that concerned. I’ve used gsm trackers a lot and they are good but not used e bay ones so can’t comment on their accuracy.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

wonder what you’ll do when you leave work and realise your house has been broken into and several expensive items have been stolen.

Report it to the police just so’s you can get a crime reference number which you’ll need to claim on your insurance.

I doubt most folk would really expect much else tbh. Most people I know who’ve bin burgled, the police jolly well have not even sent a SOCCO down to take fingerprints, and basically said ‘there’s not much we can do, other than give you a crime reference number for your insurance claim’. Which is all they’ve done when I’ve had a bike nicked.

I’m not expecting them to perform miracles, and I appreciate how difficult their jobs are much of the time, but public confidence in the police is at a real low, and it ain’t helped by them killing innocent people, being involved in ‘phone hacking scandals, bashing people exercising their democratic right to protest (not to mention using agents provocateurs to deliberately stir up trouble), and using false names when giving evidence under oath in court….

And lots of other bad things.

As for ‘respect’; it’s earned. Putting on a uniform and a badge does not in any way automatically qualify you for such. You need to do something to gain it first.

thegreatape
    Free Member

davesmate

Perhaps what you suggest would be better advice. I agree with what you say regarding the message it sends out.

Presumably part of the reason that the advice is usually to acquiesce comes from a fear of being held liable or accused of being responsible if something does go wrong?

wellhung
    Free Member

wonder what you’ll do when you leave work and realise your house has been broken into and several expensive items have been stolen.

Report it to the police just so’s you can get a crime reference number which you’ll need to claim on your insurance.

I doubt most folk would really expect much else tbh. Most people I know who’ve bin burgled, the police jolly well have not even sent a SOCCO down to take fingerprints, and basically said ‘there’s not much we can do, other than give you a crime reference number for your insurance claim’. Which is all they’ve done when I’ve had a bike nicked.

I’m not expecting them to perform miracles, and I appreciate how difficult their jobs are much of the time, but public confidence in the police is at a real low, and it ain’t helped by them killing innocent people, being involved in ‘phone hacking scandals, bashing people exercising their democratic right to protest (not to mention using agents provocateurs to deliberately stir up trouble), and using false names when giving evidence under oath in court….

As for ‘respect’; it’s earned. Putting on a uniform and a badge does not in any way automatically qualify you for such. You need to do something to gain it first.

Crumbs i find myself agreeing with something Padded Bra has typed, that’s at bit worrying sure he’ll type something i don’t agree with soonish 😕

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

sure he’ll type something i don’t agree with soonish

😀

Wellhung is not actually well hung.

Is that ok?

wellhung
    Free Member

Crumbs i find myself agreeing with something Padded Bra has typed, that’s at bit worrying sure he’ll type something i don’t agree with soonish 😕

bigthunder
    Free Member

Ive already said I dont care how you regard me elfnsafety.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

funny double post thingy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

easygirl – Member

I’ve stopped trying to justify myself as a bobby on here

You don’t have to – those of us tha understand appreciate you,those that don’t never will.

Elf – I know yo have had issues with police in teh past but can you imagine just how much worse life would be without them?

bigthunder
    Free Member

Just to get this straight as well I dont hate the police. I find their conduct and their unaccountability a bit tasteless though.

yossarian
    Free Member

I think there are two levels of policing here that usually get mixed up.

One is the daily policing stuff. My experience is mixed. On the one hand we recently had a break in at work, police have been excellent. Came immediately got fingerprints from the scene, executed a search warrant and took 3 people into custody whilst recovering around 30 grands worth of our kit. Top work. On the other hand it’s taken them over an hour to attend site whilst my security team are restraining people with weapons involved.

The other bit is the dirty stuff. The agressive policing of demos and the placement of agitators, kettling etc, the behaviour of FITs and the TSG, the bullshit that comes from the IPCC, the attitude of the Met in the Tomlinson enquiry and so on….

I find it difficult to separate the two elements to be honest. I know and accept that most coppers are diligent, hard working people who joined to serve the public. Unfortunately the politisation of the police over the last 20 or so years has alienated a lot of the public.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I know yo have had issues with police in teh past but can you imagine just how much worse life would be without them?

So where have I ever said the police should be disbanded or we’d be better off without them?

Eh?

I respect the police same as I respect anyone; you act according to the job you’re paid to do, and do it to the best of your ability and according to the Law, and you’ll gain my respect. You don’t get it by default, you have to earn it. Same as I can’t and shoon’t demand respect from others, I need to earn it.

And the police as a whole don’t do enough to earn my, and many many others, respect.

So, complacency and let things get worse, or show dissatisfaction in the hope it might give someone a kick up the arse? Challenge the police wherever possible; condemn them when they are wrong, and point out where they could be better. And praise them when they go above and beyond, which they often do. I don’t see the police as this wonderful institution automatically deserving our awe and unconditional respect and love, I see it as a deeply flawed and sometimes highly inefficient entity which needs constantly public scrutiny and criticism to keep it from becoming complacent and dysfunctional.

The police seem to think my approach is the right one actually, hence the ‘consultation’ meetings etc they have with local communities and that. The police have improved somewhat in my local area over the years, but there’s still a long way to go.

It’s our duty as citizens to constantly scrutinise and question those institutions which are there for our benefit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta elf – the point I was trying to make is you appear to often criticise police but forget to

And praise them when they go above and beyond, which they often do

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No Jeremey, I do that when I feel they’ve done well. Credit where it’s due.

The daily policing the streets keeping them safe an ting; that’s what they’re paid for. I don’t walk in a shop and praise all the staff just cos the shop looks tidy.

Some folk on here choose to idealise the police. I don’t. Don’t see why I should be labelled a ‘police hater’ just for speaking me mind though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Elf – bcause despite seeing both sides you only shout about one. Seriously – on here you come over as very anti police although I realise you are not.

I think it would be a real eye opener formany folk to see what the police have to do forreal – it certainly oped my eyes and I did gain some understanding of themt hru doing so

wellhung
    Free Member

sure he’ll type something i don’t agree with soonish

Wellhung is not actually well hung.

Is that ok?

Thankyou balance has been restored 😀

gran0210

I have been a Police officer on the streets for 15yrs not in an office. The Police are a cross section of people just like any other profession. Therefore always gonna be some tossers in there somewhere. However in the main, most out there on the streets will chase thieves, fight and put themselves at risk for you.
    By the way caught two burglars last night, got out of bed with aches, cuts all over my legs, trying to pull thorns out of my hands and got my boots by the radiator as the second one jumped in a small river. We do catch em sometimes.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The Police are a cross section of people just like any other profession.

So why do the idle ones prosper while the keen ones get the love of the job bashed out of them?

That’s why I left (some 20 years ago now). I worked out I’d either turn into one of the lazy do-the-bare-minimum types, or spend the rest of my career working against them.

No ta.

And from way up there

you automatically fail the attitude test

Shameful. Really shameful.

If you are judging folk because they want you to be accountable for your actions, it’s time you handed back your boots, too.

gran0210

Think the idle ones prosper because the people at the top with the power to sack them etc are too afraid of being called a bully etc and few seem to have the bottle to actually get rid of people. I have seen people that would have been sacked in other industries get away with ridiculous incompetence. Doesn’t mean we are all like that.

I am just as keen as the day I started,just older and creakier, good job I got my bike to keep things moving.

In answer to the first question, when asked I always give my number, its displayed openly anyway but won’t give my name as with some people they are sarcastic enough without giving them ammo and they can trace me by the number.

Northwind

davesmate – Member

I guess the point I’m trying to make is this. Police advice is to not put up a fight and give the scrotes what they want.

Aye- because that’s the route that’s least likely to see you get stabbed. It’s not just good advice, it’s the only advice they can reasonably give.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Fork that. At least have some baws. No one can take that off ya. Cue the Id rather not comments which are fair enough but not for me.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

What he said.

Northwind

bigthunder – Member

Fork that. At least have some baws. No one can take that off ya. Cue the Id rather not comments which are fair enough but not for me.

And that’s fine, if you want to go for it then do- but you can’t expect the police to say to everyone “Go on, grow a pair, it’ll probably be fine”.

bigthunder
    Free Member

I dont.

Northwind

Well, that’s kind of the point I’m making 😆

thorpie
    Free Member

So much negativity towards the police on here! I do a job that I am proud to do, I work hard and try to catch and prosecute the scum of this country that make all of our lives a misery at times. If that makes me or the people that I work for so bad then I fear that this country really is in trouble. If the police are so incapable then why are the prisons full and why do people routinely phone us at the drop of a hat?

Trevor.

davesmate
    Free Member

But you can reasonably expect a grown adult to make a decision base on a quick risk assesment. Personally, 2 muggers and one knife, I’ll take my chances. 3 muggers and 3 knives I’ll start thinking differently.

The problem is that the scrotes play on the fear and the fact that most folk won’t stand up for themselves or others. That aint right.

Can I just add for all the plod on here,I’m not having a dig, most of you do a stirling job.

Northwind

davesmate – Member

But you can reasonably expect a grown adult to make a decision base on a quick risk assesment.

Exactly- which is why it’s just advice- you can make your own decision to ignore it but if you’re in any doubt, probably best not. (how much would they have to pay me to get in a boxing ring with a nutter with a knife? More than I carry in my pockets, that’s a fact)

Really not sure what the problem is tbh… The deterrant to mugging someone at knifepoint isn’t that they might lamp you, it’s that you might get caught and end up belonging to the man with the most cigarettes.

davesmate
    Free Member

The problem, as I said above, is the scrotes know most people are more likely to take police advice and do nothing. It’s easy money all you have to do is flash a blade. Capture is no deterrant, like it or not most get away with it

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

why are the prisons full

Maybe it’s cos the police aren’t doing a good enough job of preventing crime. 😉

Northwind

Double post

Northwind

davesmate – Member

The problem, as I said above, is the scrotes know most people are more likely to take police advice and do nothing.

Whereas with different advice, more people would try and do something and get stabbed. Result.

davesmate
    Free Member

or less people would think mugging you was easy money

davesmate
    Free Member

Northwind – if police advice was to leave your bike outside your front door to avoid damage to your shed/garage/house/self when they nick it would you do it?

Northwind

davesmate – Member

Northwind – if police advice was to leave your bike outside your front door to avoid damage to your shed/garage/house/self when they nick it would you do it?

That’s a fascinating bit of arguing 😆

bloodynora
    Free Member

Thorpie/Trevor, keep up the good work mate, its much appreciated by the vast majority of law abiding people and take no notice of the usual cop haterz/attention seekers on here.
    A relative recently got burgled….Police were excellent in catching those responsible and was nice to see them put away when it came to court. I know personally they were happy with how things were conducted re advice after the crime etc and the outcome.
    Stay safe out there fella.

Babyjack
    Free Member

After reading yet another Police bashing thread I’m done with STW. Breaking fingers with pliers! Really? Grow up… Account closed.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Police Officers Numbers’ is closed to new replies.