• This topic has 617 replies, 85 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 618 total)
  • Police Kettling Cyclists outside Olympic Opening
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Damn those people who walk. They are making anyone who walks anywhere look bad. Down with this sort of thing.

Of course that exactly the same isn’t it.

(even rollier eyes)

andytherocketeer

Can someone please change the thread title, since it’s misleading.

Police (may have) kettled *protesters* that were holding a protest against advice, contravening the extra rules that London has for organised protests, and at a foolish time when the Police are probably stretched to their limit. If one or two spent a night in cells and go away with a record, maybe they’ll think twice next time. Bit like the rioters and looters doing serious bird for what to them probably seemed like spontaneous stupidity.

Now a court did rule a few years back that Critical Mass wasn’t an organised protest ride, but “just a ride”, and was held with some kind of mutual understanding. Wonder if this foolishness will trigger the Met to seek the opinion of a Judge again ?

yunki
    Free Member

CM are bad for cycling. Their approach, of pretty much trying to find “controversy” at all turns, gives a bad image of cycling at a time when it’s really taking off. We need people to embrace, understand and enjoy cycling, not just think that anyone on a bike is an antagonistic asshat.

as much as I wholeheartedly agree, the optimist in me can see the positive side to this..

for every sensible, considerate and loving human being that is currently opening their eyes to cycling and the wholesomeness that it delivers, there will always be a dark and brooding rebel without a cause, looking for the next cool thing that will enhance their badboy image, and persuade girls to sleep with them, not for their brains, but for their reckless poet soul..

It is this demographic that CM are selling cycling to, and every soul counts as I’m sure Satan would agree..
    the seedy underbelly, that like it or not, is the true driving force behind youth culture and all of the idealistic spirit of rebellion that only innocence and hormones can support..

so it’s a win/win situation as far as I can see.. the next generation falling into line like a Kasparov master stroke.. arm ’em and incite them to riot for maximum effect

charliedontsurf

Really? So some people on bikes is such a threat to national security that a disabled man should be be pushed off his tricycle and people with bikes should be tear gassed. It’s just people on bikes, they were not armed, they did not throw anything, a bike is not a weapon. It’s a disproportionate over reaction, which is a typical response to anything that does not suit. I am of the view this is not OK.

The response on this thread has taken me back, shocked. Skinny jeans and sunnies is not an excuse to attack people.

For me it’s about dead friends, their widows and fatherless children. Bumping into their kids and having to be cool, easy going and jolly… Totally ignoring the dreadful truth. I want to pick her up and hug her, cry out loud and just collapse to my knees and just cry.

For a moment I was sure I saw rob this week, walking out of his front door. But he is dead, cut down by a young driver who had picked up points for speeding on the exact same bit of road a few months earlier, thrown up the road, snapping his neck and totally killing him.

A few hundred hours community service and a two year ban is the price the driver paid.

I am just a buddy, the bike shop dude, and not his father, mother, wife, son, daughter or brother. The effect on them is unmeasurable.

Cav, wiggo, sky undoubtedly good for cycling, but it’s just business. Critical mass is not, it’s just folk on bikes.

Wiggo has a new jersey and you can still have your body explode on a bumper and scattered down a road tomorrow morning.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

+1 charlie.

And hello from the 2011 single speed chainless downhill champ.
    I’m sorry for the loss of your mate.
    Sometimes cyclists need to stick together.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

It’s a shame the London mass isn’t more likw the Leicester one, which in my experience is much less anarchic and much more a realy celebration of cycling

khani
    Free Member

+another with CtB.. Peacefull protest is being slowly outlawed in this country IMO…

nick1962
    Free Member

Another cyclist killed – STW uproar but nothing seems to change
    P*ss poor provision for cyclists in urban environments – STW uproar but nothing seems to change
    Access restrictions on cycling in the country side – STW uproar but nothing seems to change
    But when activists try and highlight the plight of cyclists -STW uproar yet again and the usual Guardianstas come over all establishment and dare I say it Daily Mail.
    Change will only come when enough committed people are mobilised to challenge the status quo from the Kinder Trespass to the Dutch cycling experience.

corroded
    Free Member

But when activists try and highlight the plight of cyclists -STW uproar yet again and the usual Guardianstas come over all establishment and dare I say it Daily Mail.

Or, just maybe, they’ve observed that CM does far more harm than good. That’s my belief, and I say that as a car-free, skinny-jeans-wearing, lifelong cyclist who has been on CM rides. CM, in my experience, is hugely counter-productive and does nothing but wind people up.

nick1962
    Free Member

Or, just maybe, they’ve observed that CM does far more harm than good.

Wasn’t the same argument used about the Suffragettes and practically every other protest movement?

nealglover
    Free Member

Wasn’t the same argument used about the Suffragettes and practically every other protest movement?

No.

Not at by people who support the same cause at least.

kilo

Or, just maybe, they’ve observed that CM does far more harm than good.

Quite possibly and some protest movements do more harm than good

As a person reasonably steeped in cycling in London I am not aware of any action CM undertake to promote cycling other than their monthly ride in central london nor I am not aware of them lobbying, interacting with the media to promote cycling. I’m not at all convinced they achieve anything positive.

So some people on bikes is such a threat to national security that a disabled man should be be pushed off his tricycle and people with bikes should be tear gassed. It’s just people on bikes, they were not armed, they did not throw anything, a bike is not a weapon. It’s a disproportionate over reaction

Nobody is stating they are a threat to national security, but MPS obvioulsy thought letting a demo get into the crowded Olympic area would lead to serious public disorder…or serious disruption to the life of the community hence the conditions that were imposed on CM. If you’re not doing what your told to do by a police officer, in a confrontation you’ve provoked, being pushed off a tricycle may not be disproportionate, even if you are disabled. With regard to gas, it is not necesarily disporoportionate to use gas as a first option, the physical effects of gas can be less lasting than that of a baton strike.

CBTM obviously I sympathise over the loss of Rob (if it’s Big Rob J I was clubmates with him (+25 years) back a long time ago, terrible loss)

Re Guadianistas / Daily Mail comments it is possible to be left of centre without supporting anarchists as CM see themselves (I think the spanish civil war showed that – not sure that ended so well though)

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Wasn’t there talk on here about mass cyclist trespass in the olympic lanes?
    Well, thats what cm went and did.

nick1962
    Free Member

nealglover-I disagree every umbrella of protest groups has been riven with splits over how to achieve change including the Suffragettes.

If groups of cyclists got organised and got together in groups and rode quite legally on the main thoroughfares into the cities in rush hour occupying the road as per TJ making the cars wait behind then perhaps the authorities would sit up and listen and better provision for cyclists could be achieved.Yes we have a democratic process which is failing us in this area and perhaps it’s time forprotest and direct action .
    And as for the Spanish civil war reference ,how apt.Didn’t the Traditional Left sell out the anarchists?
    ernie will know 😉

yunki
    Free Member

No.

Not at by people who support the same cause at least.

proof..?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

we have a democratic process which is failing us in this area

Really? Recent governments have given us (Looking at London, I admit), way more cycle lanes, advance stop boxes, the Cycle Superhighways, improved signage and routes around town for bikes, the bike share scheme. Then you have things like the Skyrides, Cycle to Work scheme, improved facilities in many, many workplaces, and the overall growth in acceptance of cycling as a means of transport.

None of that was down to the “efforts” of Critical Mass. None of it.

edlong
    Free Member

I am not aware of any action CM undertake to promote cycling other than their monthly ride in central london nor I am not aware of them lobbying, interacting with the media to promote cycling

I think you’ve slightly missed what the idea of CM is supposed to be, it’s not a corporate “them”, you don’t join CM and get a membership number and a monthly newsletter. There’s a reason it’s not legally treated as an organised protest, cos it’s not organised. People turn up, and if there’s enough of them…

nick1962
    Free Member

CFH

Too little and way overdue if you ask me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I agree, it’s way overdue, but it IS happening. There is a change in attitudes and approach to cycling, and that’s a good thing. Critical Mass do nothing to help the positive side of that change, at least in London anyway.

Interesting note re Leicester above – I used to go on CM rides in Southampton many, many years ago, and they were great. A really positive celebration of cycling, rather than a negative “sticking it to the man, man” protest. The Soton ones were embraced by authorities and general populace alike, and were great to see.

I know no one in London who sees CM as anything other than a bunch of jumped up twerps. Then, on the other side, you have those who would usually rail against the corporate side of Skyrides and Barclays hire bikes embracing them with gusto because of the positive impact they have.

Yes, it’s too little and too late, but better late than never. It’s changing, and it’s changing for the better. Let’s keep that positive momentum going, shall we?

nealglover
    Free Member

There’s a reason it’s not legally treated as an organised protest, cos it’s not organised. People turn up, and if there’s enough of them…

So, these people who turn up, how do they know where and when to turn up.

Some kind of organisation maybe ?

Or do they ride around in random locations, at random times on random days, and see what happens.

yossarian
    Free Member

The nature of CM has definitely changed, but then so has the political landscape and people’s attitudes.

I remember plenty of amazing, almost euphoric, CM rides 10 years + back.

Things have changed, our rights to congregate on our streets have been seriously curtailed by an increasing disconnected and dispassionate authority. It’s this that CM has cast itself against time after time. And a lot of the joy has gone, only confrontation remains. Yes that antagonises people. No, that’s not always a bad thing when the agenda has moved on from what it was.

Yes, some good things have happened for cycling, let’s not pretend that they are anything other than incidental and marginal in the grand scheme of things. And let’s not pretend that CM hasn’t changed. Or shouldn’t.

Some of the frothing outrage on here is pathetic and depressing in equal measure. It’s a very good indication of how far some of us have come, and how far others have fallen behind.

edlong
    Free Member

Pretty much, yeah, people know when other people are going to be there, and they turn up then (if they want to). There isn’t a ticketing system or anything, you can just turn up and ride (slowly). Why, who do you think is “in charge” then?

brakes
    Free Member

Cav, wiggo, sky undoubtedly good for cycling, but it’s just business. Critical mass is not, it’s just folk on bikes.

but business is part of people’s lives Charlie. it can be used in a positive way to further good and worthwhile causes. you yourself use your business profile to achieve certain ends.

critical mass is not just folks on bikes anymore, it’s lame anarchists wanting to poke the police and provoke them so that they can tweet about it and post videos of it on youtube. the message is lost – the true pro-cycling demonstrators need to think of a more intelligent and worthwhile gameplan to further their cause, not just try and get bad press for all involved.

nealglover
    Free Member

Pretty much, yeah, people know when other people are going to be there, and they turn up then (if they want to). There isn’t a ticketing system or anything, you can just turn up and ride (slowly). Why, who do you think is “in charge” then?

So there is organisation behind it then.

Like any kind of “march” or demonstration/convoy, whatever you want to call it.

And also like any “march” anyone can turn up and join in. (providing they know when and where it has been organised to happen)

Junkyard
    Free Member

So, these people who turn up, how do they know where and when to turn up.

Its the same time and place every month

Some kind of organisation maybe ?

Perhaps initially a person said hey lets ride here and protest/promote cycling and now everyone just turns up…it does not require an organisation but someone must have started it and now it just happens

So there is organisation behind it then.

well there will be more committed participants than others but I would think it falls some way short of being an organisation…that anarchist for you though not good with hierarchical structures and rules
    they have a web site where they define their aims

Who are we and what are our aims?

We are not sure, opinions seem to differ. There are probably as many aims of CM as there are participants. Each individual comes there with his or her own idea of what it’s about, and the sum of this makes up the Mass. We have no organisers and no planned routes and this website does not try to be representative of CM in any way.

http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk/main.html

edlong
    Free Member

I suspect you’re deliberately missing the point. If I want to have a Critical Mass Morley, I could go and do it on my own and not tell anyone. It would be shit. Traffic would ignore or possibly kill me. I could tell people when and where I’m going to do it. Some of them might decide to come along at the same time. If a couple of them do, it will still be shit. Traffic will ignore or possibly kill us. If a dozen of them do, we might make a few ripples and we’re probably less likely to be killed, but it will still be shit.

If all the people I tell, tell a whole load of other people and a couple of hundred turn up we will have, ahem, enough critical mass to be able to, for instance, hold up the traffic.

At no point would I be “in charge” or have “organised” the protest, all I’ve done is told some people what I’m going to do. That’s how it works. I take no responsibility for someone else who makes the same choice as me as to what to be doing at that time and place.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

4 cyclists have been seriously injured on the olympic road race route in surrey in the last week alone.
    Something has to be done, cm might not be the right answer, but at least its something.

nick1962
    Free Member

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Cycling

The British Cycling Federation (BCF) was formed in 1959 at the end of an administrative dispute within the sport. The governing body since 1878 had been the National Cyclists Union (NCU).[n 1] The legality of cyclists on the road had not been established and the NCU worried that all cycling could be affected by police concerns about racing.[1] The cycling historian Bernard Thompson said: “Events organised by clubs in the 1880s, although taking place on quiet country roads, were constantly interrupted by the police. Often horse-mounted policemen charged at racers and threw sticks into their wheels.”[2] The race organiser and writer, Chas Messenger, said: “Thousands of cyclists were convicted or fined for dangerous riding, many on mere suspicion and unsupported evidence.”[1]

The NCU banned all racing on the road and insisted clubs use velodromes.[1] A rebel organisation, eventually known as the Road Time Trials Council, began running races of individuals competing against the clock at dawn and in secrecy, to avoid police attention. The NCU eventually accepted the RTTC and the two organisations ran the sport between them, the RTTC interested only in time-trialling and the NCU administering track races and representing Britain at meetings of the UCI.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

New user here. I’ve signed up to this forum because Im very disappointed in some of the responses on here, about Critical Mass. It’s clear from some of them at least that some people have no understanding or experience of Critical Mass rides, and seem to be very hostile to the idea of people just meeting up to enjoy cycling around a city together.

Whilst cyclist are by no means a homogenised co-operative who all share the same ideals and political viewpoints, i think it’s a great shame that some people appear to be letting their own prejudices about other people cloud their judgemnt of something they appear to know very little about, other than perhaps what they have read in mainstream media. It’s depressing to read the typical comments about ‘hippies’ and ‘asshats’ when the reality is that CM participants comprise very diverse and varied sorts of people, who come from all walks of life, cultures and social groups.

I was not myself at the CM ride on Friday, but I know people who were, and their accounts suggest a disproportionately heavy-handed approach by the police from the beginning, and several possible breaches of human rights legislation, not to mention assault and threatening behaviour by police officers. The incident on Blackfriars road in particular involved one police officer who apperared to lose control and had to be restrained to prevent people getting hurt.

I’ve been on several CM rides, and whilst I accept that a small minority are there with confrontational attitudes, the vast majority are just there to ride their bikes, as is their legal right, on the streets of London. Where they chose to ride is up to them, and no the police. The order by the police to stay away front he Olympic park relates to an organised protest, which CM is not. A fact upheld in the House of Lords. Therefore, the police order was very probably invalid and police actions unnecessary and even unlawful. That almost all those arrested have been released without charge, shows that their detainment by police was without good reason. Any claims that the police acted to prevent a breach of the peace etc have no real foundation, as there was no threat by the participants of the CM to public safety.

To those claiming that CM does nothing to raise the profile of cycling or highlight dangers faced on our streets by cyclists, well why not go on a CM ride, talk to people, find out what they do actually do. I know people from CM who actively campaign for better road safety, more cycle routes and lobby for increased discussion on cycling in our towns and cities. Some of these people have been quite successful in getting various local authorities and organisations to consider cycling, which has lead to increased cycling provision. Plus many have gone along to CM rides and really enjoyed the opportunity to ride around in a happy and peaceful group, and see the city in a far more safe manner they would normally. Indeed, some would never consider riding on their own as they feel to scared to do so in such heavy traffic.

Having read posts on this forum relating to land access and confrontation with landowners etc, I find it ironic that any campaign for better rural access is considered ok, but the same in urban areas not. Are we not all wanting the same thing? To be able to cycle with greater freedom and safety?

Critical Mass is a celebration of cycling. It would be better if more people realise this, rather than reacting in a hostile manner towards those they don’t even know. come and join in, find out what it’s all about. It may not be a perfect answer, but it is at least an attempt. Better than sitting doing nothing and just complaining all the time.

nick1962
    Free Member

Makes sense to me mikeconnor but according to others on here I am a “wanna be copper “because of my displeasure at speeding motorcyclists!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Having read posts on this forum relating to land access and confrontation with landowners etc, I find it ironic that any campaign for better rural access is considered ok, but the same in urban areas not. Are we not all wanting the same thing? To be able to cycle with greater freedom and safety?

the problem here is that a lot of people on here dont ride very much or at all on roads so they dont really know what the problem is.

It is funny that they use the phrase “cheeky trail” to mean illegal riding then criticise others for legal riding.

Christ they get upset when trails[ i mean footpaths] on SSSI’s on here are blocked

That said i think sometime CM and the stuff on here is counter productive as it makes those who dislike us [ red socks or car drivers] dislike us even more as we ride like dicks without concern for others rights.

scuzz
    Free Member

Thanks for signing up MikeConner, good to see an informed, differing opinion.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

What gets me, is that cab drivers can demonstrate, and the only person arrested is the bloke who jumped off tower bridge. Cyclists, protest ends with cs gas, kettling, and 180 arrested.
    Is seems cyclists are still at the bottom of the heap.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Is it not a sign of ignorance that you lash out at something you don’t understand, CM by definition is a loose grouping of activists who happen to all ride bikes, as mikeconnor eloquently put, they are diverse and represent a cross section of society, those on here and other forums who are quick to decry people for protesting are at best ignorant and at worst reactionary puppets, cycling has come a long way in a short time in this country, but a lot remains to be done in order to truly say that we are a cycle safe country.

There is still a massive bias towards motorised vehicles, that is reflected in the legal system, govt policies, and in peoples attitudes even amongst ‘cyclists’, so activities like CM are a response to that.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

This rather longer video of the incident at youtube suggests things were a little more complex than ‘OMG nazi cops’

So chapeau CM London, the streets are a little safer for cyclists thanks to your ‘legal’, ‘non-violent’ and ‘fun-loving’ protest.

Drac

Interesting video 1 police officer amongst maybe 40+ cyclists, he encourages them to move on and the woman I guess by the useful hints seems to lash out. So he clearly takes action to arrest her and the peaceful protest turns to angry mob forcing the and pinning the officer to a car bonnet. He seems to do well to keep calm, least that’s how I see it.

CM ok maybe not a group but when yourself proclaim it attracts a variety of social backgrounds then it’s no surprise that one or 2 of those may look for trouble. Seems a shame as the original intentions of CM were good but now it looks a disorganised mess giving cyclists a bad name.

My options may differ to those who joined today to express theirs but that’s not because I’m neive or don’t understand it’s because I see it different to you. As will many others.

dabble
    Free Member

if i join CM will i get laid?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Drac, well put.

dabble
    Free Member

just watched that vid,

Critical mass is a legal procession held on the last Friday of every month.

how legal is riding through red lights
    and they’ve got bells on too, critical ASS.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Oh wow – heres another one, this ones far more detailed, turns out the disabled man isn’t actually so disabled that he can’t engage in a spot of grappling the police – he is the one who actually plants the policeman on the car bonnet in the first place.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 618 total)

The topic ‘Police Kettling Cyclists outside Olympic Opening’ is closed to new replies.