Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Police guidelines for pavement cycling. Link ?
  • Someone posted on here a while ago about how the police had been issued with guidelines that they were not to prosecute cylists for riding on the pavement unless they were causing a hazard to pedestrians.
    This was only in relation to pavements alongside roads, not rural footpaths.

Has anyone got any more information on this ?
    Who issued it, the ACPO or the Home Office ?
    Is there a link to the primary source anywhere, or is it just another internet fact ?
    I'd like to be able to quote it if challenged.

Did I just imagine it then ?

bassspine
    Free Member

as far as I know it's illegal to ride on the pavement. It would take a hard hearted cop indeed to bust a 6 year old girl, but I'd say a grown man is fair game.

Current highway code:

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]

coffeeking
    Free Member

I remember the link you are on about I think, but it didn't say they were nto to prosecute. IIRC it said they were to exercise leniency depending on situation.

as far as I know it's illegal to ride on the pavement.

That's why the police were issued with guidelines not to prosecute.
    They don't need to be told not to prosecute people for doing things that are not illegal.

It was a bit like the "downgrading", or whatever it was called, for cannabis possession. Not a change in the law, just a change in the allocation of police resources so as not to waste time on minor, victimless crimes.

tron
    Free Member

They don't need to be told not to prosecute people for doing things that are not illegal.

To be fair, they probably do.

UpQuickDownSlow

The information is here on bikeforall.net on their very useful web page on cycling and the law. Here are the relevant paragraphs:

On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. At the time Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by 'Community Support Officers' and wardens.

"CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.

I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)

bassspine
    Free Member

UpQuickDownSlow – Member

The information is here on bikeforall.net

thanks, very interesting

LMT
    Free Member

What about the police that ride on the pavement?? quite a few ride through the pedestrian zones in birmingham and solihull, and when im driving home i see the local police riding there white mtbs on the path.

fisha
    Free Member

did you read the above linked info – especially the last paragraph??? ? the ticket is for those riding irresponsibly and showing no consideration for pedestrians.

Which is basically the general line I take. I dont generally have a beef with a person cycling on the pavement unless they area obviously duking in and out of people, or going too fast or making people jump out of the way.

Common sense applies basically in my book.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Police guidelines for pavement cycling. Link ?’ is closed to new replies.