Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Police action after being knocked off
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I got knocked off the road bike late last year and could do with some advice in dealing with the police.

I was riding down the road in the middle of a clear day on a wide road with little traffic. Keeping it brief…

– the driver stopped in a side road until I was right in front of them, then drove straight into me. Despite evasive action by me, bike left embedded in their front grill, me in the road with a badly broken arm that needed an operation to fix.
    – Very little remorse from them.
    – three good witnesses
    – Other party have admitted liability via insurance firm, that side of it getting sorted.

The police look like they will send her on a course and not prosecute. To me, this looks like a clear case of driving without due care and attention. I’m not happy that as she will effectively get off with it and her future insurance will not take into account that she has almost killed someone as a direct result of her negligence.

Any advice for dealing with the police? I’ve stated in writing that I want a prosecution, but all they keep talking about is a driver awareness course.

oldejeans
    Free Member

Horrendous

Get Leigh Day (British Cycling solicitors) on the case asap. They were excellent with me (I’m a member), and my friend ( – who isn’t a member) also got a good outcome with them

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Did you complete a victim impact statement.? The officers dealing should have given you the opportunity. If not ask.

scud
    Free Member

I had same issue, got knocked off twice commuting last year, the first time i went over her bonnet and put foot through the windscreen, she admitted fault but they took it no further.

Second time, a white van just randomly moved left sideways (suspected he was on phone) pushing me into a traffic light, two broken ribs and a lot of bruising, they did not even attend. Independent witness behind who got the registration, phoned Police but to date they (8 months later) they have not even sought to take a statement from them.

Seems cyclists are just fair game where i live.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’ve made the considerable impact very clear to the cops in my statement and every communication – loss of earnings when I self employed, family holidays missed etc etc

The response from the police was something along the lines of the Crown being the injured party in RTAs. It’s not been finalised yet, but all the cops keep talking about is how effective driver awareness courses are. In contrast, I got fined £100 and 3 points for doing 33pmh in the car.

The solicitors are dealing with the civil case, but said they can’t advise on dealing with the police.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What are those civilian police commissioner positions? A letter there might help.

milky1980
    Free Member

I wouldn’t hold your breath with the police doing anything if my experience is anything to go by.

Got doored by a taxi in April last year after they had let a passenger get out while they were stationary in traffic. The area is designated as an area taxis are not allowed to drop off or pick up in as it’s got a cycle lane running down the left of the road, which I was using. The officer who attended advised me that I shouldn’t use the cycle lane next time in case it happened again!! No mention of the taxi breaking the rules at all. Didn’t question him at the time as I was in a lot of pain but I did take it up with the police afterwards. Put in an official complaint about it but nothing has come of it whatsoever, still see taxis dropping off there most days too.

samunkim
    Free Member

google “Debra Kelly A414” if you want to see why police don’t bother chasing convictions against cyclists

taxi25
    Free Member

Got doored by a taxi in April last year after they had let a passenger get out while they were stationary in traffic.

obviously can’t comment on your particular incident. But passenger often just “get out” it’s not a question of them being let out, they just open the door. I’ve screamed at people not to leave the vehicle because I’ve felt it wasn’t safe, but they’ve just chucked some money at me and carried on 🙁
    Generally it’s only London type cabs that have rear doors that the driver can lock and unlock from inside the vehicle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Police action after being knocked off’ is closed to new replies.