Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Pole , Pole, Pole one ninety, you fell out of the ugly tree
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

But it could be worse, you could be weird, you could be uglier than i ever feared.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Sorry, can’t see the bike because theres a tractor PTO leant up against it.

Oh.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Side on is, I’d say, the worst angle but there is no denying those looks will be hard to sell.  Maybe the end product will look better and the prototype has erred on the side of surviving a ‘huck to flat’?

matt_outandabout

qwerty
    Free Member

Is that an 89′ seat angle?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Is that an 89′ seat angle?

Dunno. Too distracted by the state of the fence, lawn and what looks suspiciously like a large cowpat.

bruneep
    bigrich

oh, snap (figuratively and literally)

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s a lot of Marin Quad Link 2 energy in that rear triangle. I like the seat tube angle too, bash on.

moonsaballoon

The back end has a hint of old orange 5 about it .

tomhoward

Headtube area/brace puts me in mind of a Kirk magnesium frame.

convert

Marin Quad Link

old orange 5

Kirk magnesium frame

Thought this all too. With some more modern angles. A retro homage…..that hit pretty much every branch of that ugly tree on its descent.

No

zippykona

What’s going on with the forks? They look like they are behind the head tube.

endomick
    Free Member

Jesus H freaking christ on a bicycle, I thought their evolink was hideous but this just took it to eleven.

DickBarton

Nothing, just an oversized headtube. It looks ‘ok’…not the prettiest but that amount of travel needs to work so looks are a secondary factor surely? You want the thing to work rather than just look nice – both can be done together but it requires a lot more work, time, effort and no doubt cost.

If someone is needing an armchair-comfort level of travel then that looks like it’ll do the job…it’ll sell.

ayjaydoubleyou

I don’t mind the suspension (but I do like oranges)
    But that seat angle… looks like it’s already failed the huck to flat.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Love the top.comment on pinkbike. Can’t break a chainstay if they don’t exist.

benpinnick

What’s going on with the forks? They look like they are behind the head tube

Welcome to your future I’m afraid. Forks are starting to gain oversize crowns presumably to fend off the creaks on an ebike, which means suitably oversized head tubes and your fork now looks like it’s set back 10mm.

honourablegeorge

It’s certainly ugly, but the layout make a lot of sense, would be easy to use the same suspension layout and components with an EBike motor or gearbox instead of a regular BB. Seat Angle is not much different to what they have on their current bikes.

The higb BB though – not convinced on that. It was being sold as a feature on their Evolink frames when they stuffed a longer metric shock into them, but they seem t think it’s a good idea…

DickBarton

but they seem t think it’s a good idea…

I’m assuming they have qualified engineers to work out what can/does work and what implications designs have…rather than the online armchair engineers sitting back reviewing a picture of a product. That isn’t a go at you, just a go at online forum comments in general…

honourablegeorge

DickBarton

I’m assuming they have qualified engineers to work out what can/does work and what implications designs have…rather than the online armchair engineers sitting back reviewing a picture of a product.

They certainly have designers, but given their long history is issues, their engineering expertise has long been in question. Either way, my own experience of biking tells e that a lower BB works better for cornering, so I remain unconvinced by the arguments they’ve put forward for higher BBs.

andylc
    Free Member

The actual new Stamina 180 looks even worse on their website. Looks surprisingly reminiscent of the Grim Donut.
    Somehow the new Nukeproof Giga looks amazing with the same head tube angle and a very similar seat tube angle. Plus about 1.5 grand cheaper…

sharkattack

I’m assuming they have qualified engineers to work out what can/does work and what implications designs have…

You’d think so wouldn’t you?

chrismac

It’s the product of a drunken one night stand between orange and mondrakker

funkmasterp

MY EYES! MY EYES!

mildred

There’s a lot of Marin Quad Link 2

That was my immediate impression too. If it pedals half as good over very rocky terrain as my old Quake Xlt did then it’ll actually be very good. In fact when I think back, if that frame had a 20mm lower bottom bracket and a 4 degree steeper seat angle, it’s be bang in current geometry (thereabouts). Oh, it’s have to lose at least 5lbs of lard too.

andylc
    Free Member

My first ever bike was a Marin Rift Zone, before Quad Link days so would have been single pivot. Might have rose tinted glasses since it was my first ever mountain bike coming from road biking but it was an awesome bike, I remember caning it down rocky descents in the Lake District, and it only had 120mm travel.
    I remember thinking it looked awesome but looking back now….

squirrelking
    Free Member

Somehow the new Nukeproof Giga looks amazing

No it doesn’t, not even next to this. Its been medically proven to cause birth defects if you look at it too long even in non-pregnant viewers.

Bigmantrials

I actually like it, sort of.

I am struggling to work out how that linkage gives any significant vertical travel, it just looks as though it wants to move forwards as the shock compresses.

molgrips
    Free Member

Am I the only one who doesn’t care what a bike looks like? It’s for riding, not admiring. Isn’t it?

kayak23

Am I the only one who doesn’t care what a bike looks like?

Yes, yes you are.

matt_outandabout

I am rather speechless…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Am I the only one who doesn’t care what a bike looks like? It’s for riding, not admiring. Isn’t it?

I’m all for function over form but even that has its limits.

That donut looks less extreme every time I see it. Its also fairly nice looking tbh.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve got to say it looks less disgusting now then when i started the post. However….

DrP

Am I the only one who doesn’t care what a bike looks like?

i think you’ll be in a minority camp here…

THere’s so many ‘nice looking’ bikes to choose from!

DrP

convert

Weirdly it’s not quite so gopping for me either. Still not a pretty boy mind.

The bike I see frequently (it seems to appear on pop up banners all the time) that I really dislike the look of it the On One titus loco moto. The slack HT and steep ST is, aesthetically, a tough one to carry off….if Homer Simpson welded up a bike it would look like this….

My head knows that a straight steep seat tube rather than a bent one with slacker top section and a steep ‘virtual’ angle make so much sense. But lordy they look bad in my eyes.

ChrisL

Once upon a time this sort of thread would have attracted at least one post of the paperclip bike by now. How times change.

Here, let me keep the tradition alive:

convert

Don’t you go slagging off the paperclip bike.

ayjaydoubleyou

Weirdly it’s not quite so gopping for me either. Still not a pretty boy mind.

The bike I see frequently (it seems to appear on pop up banners all the time) that I really dislike the look of it the On One titus loco moto. The slack HT and steep ST is, aesthetically, a tough one to carry off….if Homer Simpson welded up a bike it would look like this….

My head knows that a straight steep seat tube rather than a bent one with slacker top section and a steep ‘virtual’ angle make so much sense. But lordy they look bad in my eyes.

What I reckon is wrong with that is the seatstay – toptube line going beyond parallel, making it look melted.

convert

You are right…and that would have been easy to fix.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Pole , Pole, Pole one ninety, you fell out of the ugly tree’ is closed to new replies.