Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Polartec neoshell amy good , waterproof
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Had an eye on the fox polartec neoshell for a while it’s now down to £110 from £360 evans cycles

But is it waterproof read a few reviews and it says it’s dwr

I need breathable as I overheat on bike in goretex and waterproof and do prefer a wind stopper if not chucking it down

BadlyWiredDog

Yes, it’s waterproof and also appreciably more breathable than pretty much any other waterproof fabric out there including the more breathable varieties of Gore-Tex. It’s about as breathable as a waterproof can get before it’s no longer a waterproof, if that makes sense. It’s not magic, but it’s very good.

The downside is that it’s arguably not as long term outright waterproof as something like Gore-Tex Pro and it still depends on a DWR treatment to stop the outer face fabric wetting out, but then so do all waterproof fabrics bar ShakeDry and OutDry Extreme.

But yes, it is waterproof.

nickc

I’ve got a Acre/Mission Workshop Neoshell. It’s about the only waterproof that is actually waterproof and breathable that I’ve used. It’s also the most fragile waterproof I’ve owned, which given it’s price was a bit disappointing. It’s got more gore-tex patches on it than any other jacket I own. It’s had a hard life though and the seams are knackered now.

boblo
    Free Member

I use Neoshell in the winter when I expect it to be wet all day.

It’s thicker and therefore warmer than Shakedry. IME it’s about as waterproof and breathable as Shakedry which is high praise as that’s excellent. It’s stretchier, warmer and less ‘clingy’ for all day wear. I also think it’s a bit more robust than Shakedry.

They are the only two flavours of breathable fabric I’ve had that are actually waterproof and very breathable. I’ve had most of the Gore Tex iterations, eVent and a number of the ‘copies’ once the copyright lapsed.

For my cycling, I need both but choose which dependant on the day.

BadlyWiredDog

I also think it’s a bit more robust than Shakedry.

Most things are more robust than Shakedry tbf. The robustness of NeoShell will depend on what face and liner fabrics it’s laminated to. Ideally you want the outer shell to be some sort of Polyamide – ie Nylon – rather than Polyester for durability,

footflaps

Most things are more robust than Shakedry tbf

+1

It’s unashamedly fragile hence they say don’t wear a rucksack when wearing it – as the straps will just wear through it.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks all, sounds like it’ll meet my needs
    autumn winter , been after a better jacket for while so couldn’t resist
    https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/fox/flexair-neoshell-water-jacket-290355#colcode=29035515

£360 no chance £114 delivered go on then

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.