Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Polarised glasses – different tints
  • ayjaydoubleyou

Looking to get some better glasses (than my clear lens site safety glasses), mainly for dusty summer uplifted riding. Main concern dust, secondary eyes drying out on the faster trails.

Been recommended Rad8 as a brand, but not tied to them.

Only ever ridden mtb in clear lenses before.

Are the different tints useful/ noticeably different, or is that just marketing? Rad8 explain them in a mtb specific way, other sports sunglasses give a more generic description of colour and contrast.

Would a polarised tinted lens be OK if things went overcast or the trail goes into the trees? And if so which colour?

BillOddie

Do you mean Polarised (i.e. they reduce glare) or Photochromic (they change colour)?

If the former then, I don’t know but the Oakley Cycling specific lens tints (Prizm Trail and Prizm Road) are not Polarised as they can mess with depth perception for some people.

If the latter, I have found that they (at least the Oakley ones) are very good for riding in Clear to Grey variant.  I do prefer Prizm Trail for most conditions though.

submarined
    Free Member

If it’s mostly dusty uplifts, just swallow your image pride, buy a £25 pair of whatever goggles you like the look of, and revel in the joy of unrestricted vision.

ayjaydoubleyou

Do you mean Polarised (i.e. they reduce glare) or Photochromic (they change colour)?

I’m hoping for polarised – but want to know if they’ll deal with wooded sections or cloud cover coming in.
    Otherwise photochromic it will have to be.

buy a £25 pair of whatever goggles you like the look of

already have some £25 clear lensed goggles – but they don’t play well with my particular open face helmet.
    It wouldn’t bother me, but it would bother my friends who have to look at me 😉

jkomo

If the choice is brown or grey, brown will increase contrast and is my favourite for everything.
    Polarised great on road, it stops glare from flat surfaces, so won’t really have a great effect in woods.
    The problem with any sunnies, using BPW as an example is they are fine in the open,but get in the woods and it’s pretty dark.
    I go for a yellow tint, helps a bit in open, and good in the woods. Not polarised.
    Summer uplift in the open brown polarised would be my choice.

Jordan

@BillOddie Didn’t know that about polarized and depth perception. I have a pair of decent polarized sunnies and they seem to do that to me. e.g. when driving in them once I was parking in a space and hit a wall that appeared to be at least a foot away from the front of the car. Same when riding in them, I have chickened out of riding small drops that appear huge with the sunnies on. I told the OH that they were distorting things but she tried em on and said they were fine so I thought it was just my eyesight. Everydays a schoolday. Needless to say I only wear them now if I’m laying on a beach.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Polarised glasses – different tints’ is closed to new replies.