Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Polaris Summer – walking on footpats with a bike?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

What’s the score re: walking with your bike on footpaths?
    I assumed this would be acceptable, but one rider seemed to think it was not legit’.

edit: DOH – footpaths!

mlke
    Free Member

I’ve not biked a polaris for a while but when I did riding or walking on a footpath would disqualify you.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting question, not that I Polaris. Is this something with a legal basis or just to stop people using footpaths and giving the event a bad rep?

I seem to remember that you should carry your bike on a footpath rather than push it and technically, you’re not aloowed to stop (but I could be very wrong).

Ti29er
    Free Member

I can understand the rule of not being on a footpath with a bike for the Polaris Series, it takes the temptation to ride instead of pushing your bike away from the outset.
    Is this the case nationally I wonder with regard to the actual law?
    Thanks

nickc

Pushing a bike on a footpath is fine. IIRC the law basically says if it’s ok to push a wheelchair or a pram (other things with wheels), then it OK for a bike as well. I could be wrong though. Zulu Eleven who posts occasionally is a ROW campaigner (I think) and knows the score, email him if in doubt.

Although as onza points out Polaris ban footpaths to discourage riders from using them at all

miketually
    Free Member

Legally, someone pushing a bike is a pedestrian. There’s case law to back this up.

Unless local bylaws exist, like in the Peak, it’s not actually illegal to ride a bike on a public footpath, you just don’t have the right to do so and the landowner or their agent can ask you to leave their land and possibly take civil action against you for the damage caused to their land.

the-muffin-man

I’ve always understood it to be against the rules in trailquests. I certainly never did it, and as OnzaDog says it can easily give the event a bad reputation.

Drac

Fair enough for an event I think.

boxelder

Deffo against the rules on Polaris.

boxelder

You’ve only to look at their rules:

2. MTB/HIGHWAY CODE – The MTB (or Off Road cycling) Code and Highway Code shall be observed at all times. ALL FOOTPATHS ARE OUT OF BOUNDS.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Polaris Summer – walking on footpats with a bike?’ is closed to new replies.