Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Pointless questions sales staff ask you when shopping.
  • In petrol stations they usually ask if you want a huge bar of chocolate for a quid. My response sometimes is, ‘do I look like I eat chocolate?’ I’d love to add ‘fatty’ on the end.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Maplin, always want to send me their brochures… “can I take your postcode to send you some money off vouchers?”

can you not give them to me now? always stops them in their tracks…….

I love it when non sales people are given sales techniques to use that are there to reduce rejection rates, as I sales person myself I like to take them away from their script, they soon fall over in panic…

The worst one is when you say to somebody “no thanks i’m not interested” and they come back with the worst reply ever……”can you tell me why are you not interested?” 🙄

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Even if it’s as simple as an inner tube, you’d be surprised how many folk will buy tyre leavers when you ask, as opposed to getting home and then having to make a second trip.

That is different – I accept that suggesting associated items makes sense, but trying to sell you a bar of chocolate when you have just filled up your car pisses me off.

What would TJ do?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wombat

the worst one is when the store is doing a postcode survey for a week or 2 to find out their catchment area

I give the postcode of a house in East Anglia that I lived in about 12 years ago (I now live about 300 miles away from there).

Smash the system, give misleading data in response to a question and thereby skew the resultant stats my a barely perceptible amount 😀

Alternatively point out that you don’t have a postcode of your own but you can tell them the one that that Post Office lets me use as long as you live where you currently do.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for petrol station staff asking helmet clad, mud spattered me if I’m paying for petrol…

😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I get annoyed by robotic staff asking me if I have a loyalty card. I find a curt “I neither have nor want one” works well.

martinhutch

I use the self-service tills to avoid all human interaction. Of course, this means continually calling an assistant when the machine repeatedly accuses me of nicking stuff, but it’s a price worth paying.

retro83
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member

McDonald’s are the worst.

“Big Mac meal please”

“Is that a large meal?”

Look at me, johnny-no-stars, of course it’s a large one.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“are you alwright there….?”

…from some gormless youth

wombat

I have found that the best response to
    “sorry about your wait” is
    “I know I’m looking a bit saggy round the middle but I’m hoping a better diet and more exercise will shift the worst of it” causes sufficient confusion and embarrassment 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Assistant “I’m sorry about your waiting”

Me, in Patrick McGoohan the Prisoner mode “I had a choice?”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Thank you for waiting….you are an important customer for us and a consultant (sic) will be with you are soon as possible…..”

Do these buffoons not see the irony in these messages?

wwaswas

this is what shopping experiences should be like;

mintimperial

I assume most of you lot have never worked retail then?

Don’t blame the minimum-wage till-monkeys for asking annoying questions, they’re just doing what they have to do to keep their jobs. Having been there myself I try to be a nice as I can to the poor sods, it’s mind-numbing drudgery, and it’s not helped by miserable **** like you lot being all smartarse or grumpy. Just say “No thank you”, it’s not that difficult is it? 🙄

[Edit: Mr Murray’s antics however are perfectly acceptable. Very entertaining. 😀 ]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

wwaswas – that’s awesome!

mintimperial – sorry but that’s pretty tame

wombat

I have worked in retail and it would brighten my day a bit if I dealt with someone who appeared to think that the till/sales script was as daft as I though it was.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I worked in a chip shop but I don’t recall ever asking someone if they wanted to take our health insurance when they asked for fish & chips twice and a portion of peas.

crazy-legs

Don’t blame the minimum-wage till-monkeys for asking annoying questions, they’re just doing what they have to do to keep their jobs. Having been there myself I try to be a nice as I can to the poor sods, it’s mind-numbing drudgery, and it’s not helped by miserable **** like you lot being all smartarse or grumpy. Just say “No thank you”, it’s not that difficult is it?

+1
    You might find that, behind the automatic scripted questions, they’re actually quite decent people just trying to make a living.

Unless they’re in telesales in which case, hanging up or leaving them on hold for 30 minutes is perfectly reasonable… 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I generally try not it mix with the sort of riff raff that fill such menial roles in society. If I do have to go into a shop I take someone with me to speak to them and explain that under no circumstance should the oik look directly at me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Crazy-legs – but no-one is commenting on whether they are/are not decent people, its about their behaviour when at working. Perfectly OK for us to make that distinction especially when may seem to do that themselves!

mintimperial

Unless they’re in telesales in which case, hanging up or leaving them on hold for 30 minutes is perfectly reasonable…

Never worked telesales but I know a few who have, one mate of mine says that people who put him on hold were his favourite because he could just sit there and stare into space.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Had the joyous experience of a quick visit to Sports Direct yesterday. There were two “sales consultants” at the door collecting money for sports relief. Actually surprisingly polite, ….”Excuse me sir….”.

Then followed down the stairs by a lady saying to a friend, “That daft **** just called me sir!”

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Whenever I buy a ‘Subway Melt’ from Subway, they always ask me if I want it toasted and whether I want cheese.

It wouldn’t be much of a melt without cheese, and it needs some heat to melt the cheese 🙁

retro83
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

Whenever I buy a ‘Subway Melt’ from Subway, they always ask me if I want it toasted and whether I want cheese.

It wouldn’t be much of a melt without cheese, and it needs some heat to melt the cheese

I thought they asked if you wanted extra cheese, and the heat could also be provided via microwave.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Subway…proud sponsor of The Biggest Loser”

You couldn’t make these things up!!

crazy-legs

Crazy-legs – but no-one is commenting on whether they are/are not decent people, its about their behaviour when at working. Perfectly OK for us to make that distinction especially when may seem to do that themselves!

This is why I like the self service checkouts in supermarkets. I’d rather not have the forced friendly-ness of staff asking how my day was.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I thought they asked if you wanted extra cheese

they seemed to have changed to asking if you want cheese at all – although they certainly used to ask if you wanted extra cheese, as you said.

Maybe it is just the one near St Pauls that does this.

I shall ask how they are going to melt the cheese if I say no to toasted.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

“Subway…proud sponsor of The Biggest Loser”

You couldn’t make these things up!!

and there’s stickers on the counter saying that the British Heart Foundation supports your choice of low fat subs…

konabunny
    Free Member

I give the postcode of a house in East Anglia that I lived in about 12 years ago (I now live about 300 miles away from there).

Smash the system, give misleading data in response to a question and thereby skew the resultant stats my a barely perceptible amount
    NW1 8TQ!

wwaswas

Maybe we should all give the STW Towers postcode?

Sandwich

tyre leavers

Where are they off to then?

rusty90
    Free Member

In a Canadian Subway I visited recently they were doing a promotion on BLT subs.
    What bread did I want? White please.
    What did I want in it? Bacon please.
    What did I want with it? Er, lettuce and tomato please.
    Apparently I could have had a BLT made with tuna, coleslaw and avocado if I wanted, it would still have been a BLT to them.
    And don’t me started on ordering a coffee in Starbucks – more questions than the census form.

nwilko
    Free Member

OH works in a bike shop…came home the other day with this tale..

Customer… “my back tire keeps going flat, whats wrong with it”
    OH…..”sounds like a puncture, but could be the valve, how long does it stay up”..
    Customer… “i pump it up a few times a week, how can i fix it”.
    OH… “you can either book it in and we check / fix as required, otherwise you could check the valve is not leaking, fix the puncture or just replace the tube, if your unsure id dont want us to fix it your best bet is to just replace the tube”.
    Customer… “you would say that your a bike shop and just want to sell me stuff”.

Customer then leaves…

Bike shop in free advice and offer to fix shocker..

The customer is always right but also cheeky / misguided and about to buy online..

project
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member
    the worst one is when the store is doing a postcode survey for a week or 2 to find out their catchment area.

Local Wickes where doing that , gave them the postcode of the local prison, and said i was out on day release, and where did they sell hacksaw blades.

WH SMITHS today, buying new SINGLETRACK MAG, did i want any chocolate, and a bag, seems as if its shameful to be seen carrying a Singletrack in public.

McHamish
    Free Member

As someone who frequently has bad hearing, pointless questions can be frustrating.

Recently when my hearing was particularly bad (couldn’t hear wife when she shouts in my ear), I went out to buy said wife some unsalted butter and milk. Easy.

Got to counter, ready to hand over money and leave…and the lady proceded to wave a few leaflets and say something to me. I gave my usual response “sorry I’m deaf” (don’t know why I insist on apologizing for it all the time). She decided to wave a few more leaflets and talk at me some more.

After trying to explain that I’m deaf a few more times, and politely saying “can I just pay for these and go please?”, that got a glare and a frown. Then shook her head at the next customer in a kind of, ‘deaf people, why can’t they just stay at home’ way.

maccruiskeen

ohnohesback – Member
    I get annoyed by robotic staff asking me if I have a loyalty card. I find a curt “I neither have nor want one” works well.

Maybe I’m just having a bit of ginger moment but I’m struggling to figure out in what way that ‘works’.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You should engage them in converstaion – a Staples Loyalty card, wow, and what colour does it come in, really, wow, like awesome dude (really works when you’re in your 50’s that one, you really see their respect for your like totally AWESOME street cred light up their faces or something), so wharere was I oh, yes, the air miles card, how many airmiles do i get on a 75p bottle of own brand tippex, what, not airmiles, really? are you sure, it looks like an airmiles card, what with being plastic and everything, is that thermoplastic, looks like it might be, do you think I could melt it down and make it into an air miles card, so anyway..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…….did i want any chocolate, and a bag, seems as if its shameful to be seen carrying a Singletrack in public.

Cheeky git……did you make a formal complaint ? The only way to put a stop to that sort of nonsense is to ask to speak to their supervisor.

“Anything for the weekend sir ?” always gets me. The desire to have slightly shorter hair is the sole motivating factor behind me entering their establishment, and yet they take it upon themselves to ask prying questions about my sexual ambitions during the weekend. It’s not right.

wombat

“Anything for the weekend sir ?”

I was asked that after my last haircut so I said yes please….the barber lent me his fishing rod

IGMC

maccruiskeen

“Anything for the weekend sir ?”

Just tell them that you’re flattered but you think it would be better if you could just be friends

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Pointless questions sales staff ask you when shopping.’ is closed to new replies.