Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Pointless, noisy and polluting – but I made it…
  • tillydog
    Free Member

I bought a ‘cheap’ Chinese lathe to keep myself entertained during lockdown, and then started doodling with CAD (Fusion 360).

This is what came out:

Stats:
    Bore: 20.4 mm / 0.8″
    Stroke: 26 mm / 1.02″
    Displacement: 8.5 cc
    Compression ratio 4:1

The flywheels are cast iron trolley jack wheels.

I anodised all of the aluminium parts using the process described by Mark Presling on Youtube

It even runs!

(I’m using Coleman fuel with a few percent marine two stroke oil to try and keep the valves and top-end lubricated.)

VERY pleased with the way it has turned out! 🙂

Mikkel
    Free Member

Very nice

cakeandcheese

Excellent work! Would you share the details of the lathe please?

p7eaven
    Free Member

That’s amazing. Nice work.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Excellent work! Would you share the details of the lathe please?

Id second that!

slowoldman

Oh I say. That’s lovely.

tillydog
    Free Member

Thanks! 🙂 🙂

Would you share the details of the lathe please?

It’s a generic Chinese 7 x 14 lathe – I think it’s a Seig SC3 with the brushless motor. Similar to this:

https://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/CJ0618A-350-BRUSHELSS-Motor-Mini-lathe-AMA_LA_CJ18ABRB.html#SID=2

but variations on the same theme are available from a number of suppliers (e.g. Arc Euro, Chester, Amadeal, Warco…)

New toy to relieve the lockdown tedium

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Stunning. Very nice work.

Pigface
    Free Member

Colour me impressed

sirromj

Love the unpredictable rhythmic noises these machines make. Never knew they were called hit & miss engines, makes sense. Love looking/listening to them at steam fairs too.

Shame about the car engine noise in the video. It was my idea of good ASMR until that point!

sparksmcguff

That is nice. Blinking heck there are some very talented people on this forum.

seadog101

Some people have too much time on their hands and lots of skills going spare..
    Very impressed.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Very nice work!
    What did you use to radius the con rod? Did you cut the brass gearing yourself?

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Turned round then milled flat?

Drac

That is absolutely ace.

joat

Soon to be seen at a country fair annoying the poor souls who happen to have a nearby stall. You’ll need a deck chair and a small rusty campervan and your summer will be sorted.
    Very impressive pointlessness.

breninbeener

Just awesome. Love it!

kayak23

Absolutely amazing 👏

eulach

So you bought a spinny round very fast thing and used it to make a spinny round very fast other thing. Good work OP, looks and sounds nice.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Excellent work there!

CountZero

Soon to be seen at a country fair annoying the poor souls who happen to have a nearby stall. You’ll need a deck chair and a small rusty campervan and your summer will be sorted.
    Very impressive pointlessness.

I was thinking exactly that! It’s a really lovely thing, it’s beautifully made, and I love it to bits! Congratulations. 👏🏻😁

feed

That looks absolutely brilliant. Even if it wasn’t a working engine it’d be amazing.

Joe

Meanwhile I’ve been on instagram.

tillydog
    Free Member

Thank you all for the kind comments – well chuffed!

Shame about the car engine noise in the video. It was my idea of good ASMR until that point!

Thanks! 😀 If you listen carefully, you’ll also hear my wife arriving home with the dogs and asking if I’m trying to make a quiet video…

What did you use to radius the con rod? Did you cut the brass gearing yourself?

The conrod was turned from a flat piece of aluminium which gives the radiused edge (I don’t have a mill, it was all done on the lathe or by hand). I bought a couple of standard brass gears and modified them to suit.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Is anyone else slightly upset with the use of allen heads?

Whitworth would have been more appropriate surely.

joat

Oh! Just had a thought, you could use it to drive a lathe to make another one, a sort of engineering fractal as it were.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ha! Wonderful nonsense. Well done op

tillydog
    Free Member

Whitworth would have been more appropriate surely.

LOL! Don’t imagine I didn’t consider it!

use it to drive a lathe to make another one

Haha! That’s now top of the list of suggested uses (previous was for powering a pencil sharpener).

Thanks! 🙂

Poopscoop

Even by STW standards, that’s amazing op.👍

I might have managed to turn a door knob or something then given in.lol

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Well then ,I am even more impressed.
    Excellent effort.

Northwind

That’s bloody fantastic. Mostly what I make with my little lathe is flesh wounds.

windyg
    Free Member

cool, really like that, well done

roverpig

Very impressive. Pointless, but no less impressive for that.

timbog160

Stunning! No more to be said…

theotherjonv

Given time, tools, inclination, and a few discards, I could have just about made that.

(the piece of wood it’s mounted on)

The engine – stunning, love it.

More worrying, someone said ASMR which I didn’t recognise, so I googled it. I’ve now just spent nearly 20 minutes while a lady whispers to me about her glasses collection.

tillydog
    Free Member

[Takes a bow]

Thank you very much indeed! 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Superb, i love it!

wwaswas

Lovely job 🙂

Was going through some of my dad’s stuff earlier and turned out the unmachined kit of parts that turns into one of these:

Stuarts Triple Steam Engine

I’ve been thinking about getting a lathe 😉

monkeyboyjc

Good job. Love stuff like this.

tillydog
    Free Member

Was going through some of my dad’s stuff earlier and turned out the unmachined kit of parts that turns into one of these:

Stuarts Triple Steam Engine

Ye gods! You’ll have your work cut out with that. I guess you’d need a mill (or a strong filing arm) too.

I’ve never machined anything from castings, but it looks like a new level of challenge because you don’t have any datums until you start machining. For an idea of what’s involved, I find this guy more watchable than most:

Thanks again 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Pointless, noisy and polluting – but I made it…’ is closed to new replies.