Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Pointless marketing phrases…
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Just heard an Esso fuel advert that claimed their fuels “work at a molecular level”. I guess no one can argue with that, but it’s not exactly a differentiator!

yodagoat
    Free Member

What about “compliant rear triangle”?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yoda, laterally stiff yet vertically compliant, shirley?

😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

X% more plump/bouncy/lucious (basically anything that can’t be substantiated).
    Any perfume add.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHwnBKEixFs[/video]
    SWEARY AT THE END 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Not marketing but….

Apparently only the front 4 carriages of my train will be platforming at the next station rather than be ‘on the platform’

I shall shortly be cadavering the ticket inspector.

Stoner
    Free Member

Oh and I accidentally caught sight of the latest loreal ad for face gunk that is also a laser, apparently. The tendency to violence passes eventually.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, I had a little LOL at the Lee Mack thing. Almost makes up for his awful sitcom.

mrblobby
    Free Member

face gunk that is also a laser,

😯

nicko74

“clinically tested”
    …to do anything in particular? With any results worth mentioning?

aP
    Free Member

I like platforming. It’s got an edgy, counterculture feel to it. No cadaverisation for me though.

bol

“Nothing works better…”

Not a huge vote of confidence, but often used as a selling point in ads.

McHamish
    Free Member

i saw that laser face stuff on TV last night.

My wife always commenting how my face doesn’t dry out like hers…i’m convinced it’s because i’ve never used any moisturiser.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Steel is real
    Bike for life
    Rolls over bumps
    Terrain hugging

Throw convention by the wayside and unleash your creativity. Mash up frames, forks and wheels to build a singletrack ripper, a do it all single-speed, or a cutting edge 29er with road wheel versatility and flat-bar handling. On-One is about choice, not compromise

McHamish
    Free Member

This

This ^ was a marketing ploy that really was pointless.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

For years a pub near me had a sandwich board with their usual stuff chalked on it. A piece of paper was sellotaped on the top with the legend ‘Proper Steak and Kidney Pie’– it was like that for years— i always fancied the improper version….

TuckerUK
    Free Member

The best one is making up a new substance name, copyrighting it, then proclaiming your product is the only one with this incredible substance in.

Bifidus Digestivum is one that springs to mind immediately.

My late father often used to say that the public were so thick they’d buy air or horse shit. If only he could see petrol station forecourts and rural markets now!

Northwind

brakes
    Free Member

Vauxhall’s ‘warranty that could last a lifetime’.
    When I first saw it my cynicism hormones went into apoplectic overload.
    The use of the word ‘could’ is particularly annoying.
    The fact that lifetime means the lifetime of the car is galling enough, 100k miles apparently, but the slipping in of the word ‘could’ just makes the statement completely non-commital.

Alex

LOL @ Stoner. cadavering indeed.

I’m always taken by toothpaste adverts claiming “30% improved cleaning performance”. Than what? A Sausage?

nicko74

Vauxhall’s ‘warranty that could last a lifetime’.

You should check some of the bike warranty threads knocking about on here, and different understandings of the word ‘lifetime’…

rudebwoy
    Free Member

second hand nappies — part used,free to collector

hels
    Free Member

Deodorant that “only works when you need it”. Great, I would hate to think I was wasting all that deodorant power by not being smelley.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

English Chippy

wombat

I remember a TV advert for a soup which the voice-over proudly declared was made from “100% ingredients”

I’d hate to get to the bottom of a bowl of supposedly inferior soup to find a void that was there because they’d only used 80% ingredients and left the rest empty 🙄

rudebwoy
    Free Member

The clangers used to have that problem, when the soup dragon went on the lash

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Products the last up to…

So a product that last up to 20 years and fails in three weeks performed as advertised then, what with three weeks being under 20 years.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s an idea that’s gaining traction

ska-49
    Free Member

In the Vue trailers theres a sound of a coin dropping to show off the high quality speakers.. sounds crap!

hels
    Free Member

There used to be an ad on TV in NZ for flyspray that “kills flies dead”. As opposed to the competitor brand that kills them alive.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Audi’s A3 promo – Everything you need nothing you don’t – really, then why has it got an entertainment system with handwriting recognition?

samuri
    Free Member

Aye, anything that uses ‘up to’ is meaningless. ‘Up to’ clearly includes the number nought.

Marketing is a nasty game but I guess someone has to do it. I pity them though.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Priced from…

is another one. Priced from £20. How much then? £1200 please!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

…and then there’s ’97 out of 100 people surveyed agreed…’

Yes, but what people? Dozy **** that were stupid enough to answer their door to you and were sad enough to listen to your inane banter?

Stoner
    Free Member

anything that is “a fraction of”.

24/5 is a fraction.

Improper, but still a fraction.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Good point! 😆

samuri
    Free Member

Yes, but what people? Dozy **** that were stupid enough to answer their door to you and were sad enough to listen to your inane banter?

It’s better than that. They have to say out of how many, so all they do is choose to quote the people who agree with their marketing campaign. They could have asked 8 trillion people but as long as they write on the screen that 75% of the selected 300 people they asked said this product was great then they’re sorted.

Marketing people, kill yourselves.

Neil-F
    Free Member

One lady owner. Probably the worst one IMO.
    The word “helps” in anything…….
    Toothpaste, helps fight the causes of tooth decay. Yes, well err…… of course!
    Domestos, kills all known germs….. DEAD. I’d be hoping they’d be dead if I’d killed them.
    Ronseal, does exactly what it says on the tin. NO WAY!!!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

‘One lady owner’, always love that one. Thanks for the warning.

dribbling
    Free Member

“Up to 75% off everything”.

Meaningless, patronising twaddle.

Northwind

Oh! Remember those old Dolby Stereo adverts that they used to show on the TV, with the bit of Ghostbusters? “Only Dolby Stereo can do this”. Do what? I’m watching on a normal TV so it just sounds normal! If I had a dolby TV, this advert would still be pointless because I wouldn’t need another one!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Pointless marketing phrases…’ is closed to new replies.