Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Pogies
  • ratherbeintobago

Anyone using? Overkill or not?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Bought my wife a set for Christmas a few years back as she suffers from Raynauds (sp?).

She thought they looked odd so has never used them.

Looking forward to showing her this thread.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have some but it’s not nearly cold enough in North of Scotland for me to use them yet.

They are good but they are a pain in the arse at the same time.

ratherbeintobago

Looking at the sleet today, they suddenly seem like a good idea.

epicyclo

If you don’t like thick cumbersome expensive gloves, they’re wonderful.

I use mine with £5 Tesco gloves and have warm hands in the worst of weather.

towzer

Work for me, still wearing summer gloves in mine, which I much prefer as you deffo loose a bit of dexterity in thick gloves and one pair of my winter gloves are a right pita to get on after a break with sweaty warm hands.

benp1

The only downside is they look ridiculous. But they’re very functional!

I use when it’s properly cold or cold and wet

leffeboy

They look mad but are fab in winter. Mine are going on next week even though it isn’t quite cold enough yet

scotroutes

Love them. Had them on the fatbike for a couple of weeks now, but in my 4th/5th year with them.

I use the basic ones from http://www.hotpog.co.uk. £28 or so and say goodbye to cold hands.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The only downside is they look ridiculous.

You’re riding a bicycle. To most other people (if you are in the UK,US or Aus) you are a grown-up on a child’s toy or a ridiculous mamil (or both)

As for other cyclists/MTBers/peers, I don’t *think* that they look at your pogies in the freezing cold and then loudly deduct points from your imaginary fashion score 😂 Well, they might, but then again they are wearing turquoise and orange onesies in an attempt to look like a Teletubby who is Considerubbly Richer Than Yow. It all gets weird at this point.

OP, pogies are only ‘overkill’ if it’s too warm. Especially on the hill-climbs Which in my experience is most of the winter. But I am SO glad of them in driving freezing rain or sleet, or in very occasional biting freezing winds. I do sometimes stow them in backpack or panniers and re-fit at the top of hills for the longer descents. YMMV? I’m in the English Mids and I tend to run on the warm side.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I use the basic ones from http://www.hotpog.co.uk. £28 or so

I took scotroutes recommendation of these last year.  They are ugly and can be slightly awkward to get your hand back in when moving but work an absolute treat.  Forget expensive, bulky winter gloves and slip a set of Pogies on when you need them

ratherbeintobago

The 45N ones look good but the foam collars inboard are apparently a bit of a fiddle. Are there any others that lock on to the bar ends?

CraigW
    Free Member

+1 for the basic Hotpogs. I have bar ends inside, which helps to hold them open. So pretty easy to get hands in and out. Mine are bright red, just to make sure they look ridiculous.

Also have Bar Mitts for the road bike. Had them on the bike for commuting for the last month or so.

accu
    Free Member

+1 for the basic hotpogs…
    only if its really cold…ugly but perfect !

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Forgot to say I use the Cyglove. They were a surprise gift, and they have vents, and aren’t too long so easily accessible/exitable – so much perfect in every way for my particular use. Imagine they would be too cold in the far North on extended icey rides. There are more heavy duty pogies for that kind of thing.

scotroutes

FWIW I’m thinking of upgrading to a higher-spec model this year – probably the Adventurer. Waterproof outer and 3D shape.

Jason
    Free Member

My wife suffers from cold hands when she is on the mtb. Over the years she has spent a fortune on various styles of winter gloves, but no matter what she has bought eventually the cold creeps in.

This year she bought a set of cheap neoprene pogies from Amazon. A pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JB64TM2/ She is really happy with them, and now just wears a thinner set of gloves with them. No complaints of cold hands. Definitely recommended if you have cold hands, and for the money well worth a try.

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Revolutionary for winter riding imho. Got £10 neoprene ones from China for my drop bar commuter. Far better than they’ve any right to be.

Been toying with the idea of adding a little vent for the milder mornings as they can get a bit sweaty, but better than gloves in that respect any way. Do any have a vented design?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Do any have a vented design?

Check my last comment above. Not sure if really a design element or a design flaw (ie the ‘vent’ is gap near where they fasten/tighten. It functiins well enough for me in that respect, and I have toyed with sewing on velcro closure but tbh it just works fine as is. I wear a summer mitt under the Cyglove if really really cold and that works.

montgomery
    Free Member

After suffering from very cold hands on overnighters last winter (something that’s got worse as I get older), I recently bought some hotpogs. Installed them this morning; I think they’ll work on the backswept Geoff bars I use, but fit isn’t optimal.

Are there any pogies specifically designed for this style of bar, preferably UK-made and a sane price?

scotroutes

I’ve been using hotpog pogies on my Jones Bars for 6 years or more. Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue.

scc999

I took scotroutes recommendation of these last year.  They are ugly and can be slightly awkward to get your hand back in when moving but work an absolute treat.  Forget expensive, bulky winter gloves and slip a set of Pogies on when you need them

Same here.

But only got around to actually using them the other weekend when it was close to zero.
    I really suffer with cold hands and feet – not just on the bike either.
    Good grief, these things are amazing!  I actually had HOT hands at the top of the climbs, too hot really.
    Was able to ride with no gloves on quite confortably but when we stopped my hands quickly got really cold.  Obvious solution was to tuck my gloves intothe pogies and pop them on when we stopped.

Even in winter, I reckon there are definitley days that it they will be far too hot (even for me!) but the take seconds to take off or put on  – IMO they are an absolute no brainer if you suffer with cold hands.

Si

gallowayboy

Santa is, apparently, bringing me pogies……unless of course she takes a liking to them!
    I’m hoping night rides/commuting/winter in general is going to be much much better. Now I could do with finding a set of overshoes for flats to complement them.

cartwheels

I’m considering some hotpogs as I suffer with Reynaulds .
    My hands and feet get cold at the thought of going out in just single digit temps.
    Can anyone advise how restrictive they are should you need to get your hands out fast in a crash?

brant
    Free Member

Can anyone advise how restrictive they are should you need to get your hands out fast in a crash?

Never noticed an issue in crashes with them. Sticking arms out is rarely a good plan in a crash anyway 😂 (after two dislocated shoulders, collarbone smash etc).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not restrictive at all but very irritating in the wet.

Not my favoured option if it’s cold and wet rather than just cold.

cartwheels

Trail rat what’s the problem with them in the wet?

cartwheels

Fair point Brant

scotroutes

Crashing/arm out isn’t a problem. They’re not so stiff that your hand doesn’t just come out. And, as Brant says regarding falling.

If it’s very wet then water running down your sleeve will get inside and onto your hands/gloves. I still prefer the pogies in this case as they’re warmer and warm & wet hands are better than cold & wet hands

FWIW there are lots of cheap pogies available for motorcycling where they’ve been around for decades. They mostly look too bulky for bicycle use though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pogies get wet.

They have often frozen.

They are then much heavier and don’t stay up and rub on the arm.

It’s not an issue if you only ride for an hour or two but at 2am it was one of a list of things that was getting right on my nwrve and they got **** off for my marmot mountaineering mits

epicyclo

trail_rat

Pogies get wet.

Mine have no insulation. It’s not needed and so they stay dry which is more important. They’re also lighter so there’s less rub.

I also used uninsulated plain vinyl pogies on my motorbike back when I used to ride all winter on it. The windchill factor is greater, but again all that’s needed is to keep the wind off, not insulation.

northernsoul

+1 for basic pogies from hotpogs. Bought after reading a thread on here. I wear them when it’s around 0 deg or lower – don’t care about the look, anything is better than painful fingers (I’ve struggled to find gloves that work), plus it’s great being able to wear thin gloves. I was worried about what would happen in the event of an off but that hasn’t been a problem (had a couple but they’re not restrictive and I’ve basically been able to respond in the same way as I would have done without them). The only very trivial issue is that it’s hard to get a bell to work (so you need to be prepared to shout instead). 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

FWIW there are lots of cheap pogies available for motorcycling where they’ve been around for decades. They mostly look too bulky for bicycle use though.

I’ve had some pretty light neoprene ones on my motorcycles in the past but motorcycle bar muffs tend to also attach to the end of the handlebar and incorporate a rigid bar across the front. The bar is needed to prevent the muff/Pogies from pressing on the brake/clutch at higher speeds. Given the reasonable price of the hotpots I wouldn’t bother trying to bodge the motorcycle ones onto a bicycle

whitestone
    Free Member

Both my wife and I have the Revelate Williwaws (their low end model). I use mine on Jones Loops without problem. I did contact Hot Pog but got no reply so looked elsewhere. My Revelates are a newer model and have a zipped vent at the front that can be opened/closed from inside or out.

I’ve also used the original Alpkit Bear Paws which had some serious design flaws for properly cold weather (as in -10C and below) but were OK for typical UK winter conditions.

I didn’t bother with them this weekend (very snowy here in the Dales this AM) but I also use some ice climbing gloves which keep my hands nice and warm at around freezing level.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Pogies’ is closed to new replies.