Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • POC?
  • Does their kit really justify the ridiculous pricing?

Not a troll, genuinely curious – never tried their stuff, as I’m put off at the first hurdle – the price tag!

munrobiker
    Free Member

It is marketed (with all the connotations that involves) as being safer than standard kit, which some will consider worth paying for.

Personally I think the helmets are generally gopping (most of the new AM ones are IMO, especially the Bell Super) but if it’s safer some people will be happy with it. I think 95% of folk with their kit buy it because it’s fashionable, though.

old_mtber
    Free Member

I have a POC helmet; but doubt I would buy another. It is very well made and feels safe and secure although the adjustment is fairly basic by today’s standards. It is also quite heavy and can be very sweaty in hot weather so I tend to use it at trail centres where there is not too much climbing and in cooler weather.
    Is it worth the money? I think not (mine came at a very good price unused but not new).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mactheknife

I am one of the sad sad people who seem to have a growing number of POC items in their home / garage.

The Trabec helmet i won in a competition and while its has no amazing features that other helmets don’t have it does fit my head very well and stays put while bouncing down mountains.

The gloves 😳 i bought myself and yes, they are great gloves but not worth £40. The on-one gloves i use as well cos a tener and are just as good.

So all in all well built kit but way way overpriced.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the Spine Tee Armour, which I picked up with a 40% discount a couple of years ago.

The VPD material is really comfy and it feels less intrusive that the previous Brand X and 661 armour I had.

But the zip is ridiculously tiny and can be a pig to get zipped up. Hope they might have addressed that.

If I had to buy again and could only get it for RRP, I’d look elsewhere I think.

twohats
    Free Member

Personally I think the helmets are generally
    gopping (most of the new AM ones are IMO,
    especially the Bell Super)

I think that goes for all cycling helmets. You’re kidding yourself if you think a shaped chunk of polystyrene on your head looks good…

jambalaya
    Free Member

For me yes. I have a helmet and would buy more kit from them. It cost £125 vs the £85-ish alternatives I was considering so a premium but not a massive one.

FWIW There is a thread on Haglofs, I like the design and quality but a bike jacket for £320 (or even half price at £160) is excessive.

stevied
    Free Member

I wouldn’t pay full price. I’ve got the Bone elbow and knee/shin pads..k/s were £35 off here, elbows were £20 off eBay. Very good protection and comfortable too..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think that goes for all cycling helmets. You’re kidding yourself if you think a shaped chunk of polystyrene on your head looks good…

True but no need to make a purple helmet is there.

The POC’s and urge ones just look a bit too weird

Drac

True but no need to make a purple helmet is there.

You sound like my wife.

stugus
    Free Member

I have a pair of their DH gloves which are the best I’ve tried but at £55 -they should be. I managed to get these off of the classifieds for about half that. I would certainly hesitate at paying full price, though they have lasted very well.

bobbyspangles

I have a pair of the index dh gloves and they developed rips very quickly plus the cuff seperated from the glove after minimal use.

For a glove at that price and sold as a high quality garment i expected more.

I would not buy their product again

stugus
    Free Member

I have a pair of their DH gloves which are the best I’ve tried but at £55 -they should be. I managed to get these off of the classifieds for about half that. I would certainly hesitate at paying full price, though they have lasted very well.

zelak999
    Free Member

The VPD 2 knee pads are excellent, you don’t even notice they are on even in really hot weather.
    Mine have lasted 2 years, twice as long as a pair of Kyle Straits.
    VFM IMO.

tootired
    Free Member

I have a POC Trabec MIPS and it is really comfortable. Initially I thought my former Xen was more comfy but as time has gone on, the POC is just so solid and has zero hot spots or pinchpoints. I would say it is the best helmet I’ve had and MRP wasn’t paid – so bonus!

Also have the VPD 2.0 elbows and knees. Better than my hardshell 661 pads, soft 661 pads, hardshell Raceface pads. Put them on, ride then take them off. A little warm – but not so much they are uncomfortable.

Fashionable or unfashionable – I really don’t care! I use unfashionable Crank Bros pedals and a Joplin too until it was replaced the other day. Unfashionable clothing too!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the idea of POC a sort of Volvo of the bike world but having seen, and questioned on here, a helmet well, well it just looked too bulky and gave the impression of it being heavy too.
    That said I was eager to see the roadie range then I clicked a link and clicked out sharpish, disappointed.

Though the ethos is sound, it’s just a bit too LegoLand for my liking.

_tom_
    Free Member

I have a pair of their flow shorts and they’re good – nice fit and well made. Feel really tough but aren’t too hot or anything. I wouldn’t pay the new price though but at £40 on sale they’re fine.

Stiggy

I have a POC helmet and a Volvo…..FTW 😀

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the (2011 iirc) Hip VPD Shorts, lovely fit and great protection but badly made, stitching came undone well before I ever crashed in them and I ended up having to sew sections of them back together.

Picked up half price so I wasn’t too grumpy but put me off the brand, I did read somewhere they changed the design so it may no longer be an issue.

nickc

Tried one, it was nice fitting but basic and heavy, and it did look a bit “special”

The asking price did make me wince

5thElefant
    Free Member

The trabex race I bought was the same price as any other helmet I’ve bought but they do it in 3 shell sizes rather than the usual 2, so my enormous head sort of fits in it.

rickmeister

Just got an Urge Enduro – Matic for my birthday, very happy and a great fit.

Happy to pay for good stuff that protects and does its job. I only have the one head so like with motorbike helmets, happy to pay if its tested and proven though the Sweet Protection “Fixer” was a bit beyond it at £170 ish…

Any league table of bike helmets and impact results out there ?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘POC?’ is closed to new replies.