Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pneumonia
  • beamishblue

Who’s had it? How long to recover?

I’m on week 6 and my fourth lot of antibiotics. I’m still walking like a 90 year old and feel terrible. Seriously need to get out on the bike soon!

tuboflard

Took me best part of four months absolutely back to tip top form. Felt much better by month three though. Don’t be tempted to start pushing your lungs too hard too soon, I kept running on mine when in denial and equally probably started back to soon so reckon if you build up slow and steady you’ll be fine.

beamishblue

Thanks mate. At this stage full recovery seems a long way off.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

A few months if I remember correctly. Make sure you are on the right antibiotics. I tried 3 that did nothing then the fourth starting working within hours – keep going back to doctor and don’t just sit at home coughing up black crap. It’s nasty and you realise how serious it can be when you get it.

beamishblue

Yeah, I am a bit better on recent medication but still a long way off being well. A while ago it took 3 or 4 rests to get up the stairs. I can get up in one go now but seriously out of puff after.

PiknMix
    Free Member

You have my sympathies, took me about 4 months (a month of which was in hospital) it was the closest I’ve ever unintentionally been to death and scared the shit out of me!

Healing vibes.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Overnight in hospital. A few weeks of sheer exhaustion and a few months until
    things felt normal again. Little or no scarring. Yes I got off very easy.

beamishblue

Thanks guys. At least a full recovery is possible. I’ve started to think my days of feeling fit and healthy are behind me! It’s frustrating, I’ve signed up for a few enduros that are in the not too distant future and I was psyched to train for them. It really makes you appreciate how important your basic health is!

martinhutch

About four months for me, too.

funkmasterp

Nothing to add other than healing vibes OP.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

3 – 4 months for me if I remember correctly. Don’t think I’ve really recovered fully, don’t know whether that was basically missing a massive chunk of cycling over one summer or not.

I remember telling the doc how bad I felt, his reply was “Well, if you were 80 you’d probably be dead. Have a nice day”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Took me about 2 years, and now my lung capacity is less than it should be (about that of a 70 yr old)

I was miss managed by GP on antibiotics for 8 week, lost 2 stone. Finally when I had to be helped in to the surgery, they sent me straight to hospital.

I then got Pneumonia a second time a few months later. By that stage though they knew what antibiotics I needed as obviously I am resistant to some 🙁

Recovery though was long because my immune system was shot so I get getting colds/viruses

yosemitepaul

The same as everyone else 3-4 months. I had it this time last year. Not hospitalised but it absolutely floored me. I kept going into work, tried to man up and keep going, but in the end I just realised that it was doing me more harm than good. I remember one day in an effort to try and exercise my way out of it, walking about 50 yds up a slight slope and throwing up my guts out of sheer exhaustion.
    Eventually I took my wife and doctors advice and spent a week sleeping, keeping warm and watching box sets.
    It did eventually begin to clear up, but fitness levels and lung capacity were hammered. They came back, slowly increasing running distance, slowly increasing lung capacity and function.
    My advice, rest, rest and get more rest. You need rest to recover.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pneumonia’ is closed to new replies.