Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PMBA R4 at Kirroughtree – worth an trip?
  • joemmo
    Free Member

This is coming up in a couple of weeks and there are still places, looks like it could be fun for a have-a-go lightweight like me. Anyone with experience of previous year’s events care to comment on it? ta

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I did it 3 or 4 years ago (1st year they had it there I think so things may have moved on). I was on holiday in the area so didn’t travel especially. If I had traveled especially, I’d have been disappointed. It was a 17 mile loop for 3 (may be 4) ok stages. The majority of the stages were made up of trail centre trails with the odd fresh cut or off piste trail tacked on.

Don’t get me wrong, I love PMBA events as they strike the right balance between well organised to get the most out of your race and a nice friendly atmosphere but I did come away from that one thinking that I was glad I hadn’t driven all the way from home ‘just’ to do a 17 mile loop on ok but not amazing trails. I did get my best PMBA finish position though!

darrenspink
    Free Member

I enjoyed it, was also a few years ago. Bit of a travel up so try to make a weekend of it.The stages are short but fun with all the loam you can eat. Kevin trys to get around 15mins of racing in so there will be around 5 stages.

joemmo
    Free Member

thanks, food for thought. It’s a good 3 hours drive ‘across’ for me and realistically I could get more riding in or get to the lakes for a day… but the element of competition is fun too.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

It was a 17 mile loop…

I’m getting my numbers mixed up! If it was a 17 mile loop, I wouldn’t have been too disappointed but it was quite a short loop, 6-8 miles, I think. Seem to remember it only took a good hour to get round.

I finished 17th, that’s where that came from!

legend
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to a Strava upload (or the like) from it? Never been able to get my head around how you could make a viable Enduro race there

joemmo
    Free Member

Cheers, looks like something I would consider if it was within an hour but I think I’m going to save my credits for a another day out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to a Strava upload (or the like) from it? Never been able to get my head around how you could make a viable Enduro race there

I’ve rode a lot of off piste stuff there, it’s all been fairly close to the visitors centre, and so not very steep, but Kevin generally cuts some new stuff the weekend before, or he certainly has done previously.

I’ve thought about entering before, but had the same misgivings as you tbh… PMBA at Grizedale was brilliant though, I’d thoroughly recommend that!.

jamesmio
    Free Member

I’m a complete enduro-noob, and did this last year as my first ever race.  It was mainly off-piste and fresh-cut stuff for the weekend.

One of the stages (4, I think) did use a chunk of the Red route, but it’s an ace section (and a welcome stretch of track that I could actually comfortably ride).

duncancallum

looking at what kevs been doing it looks pretty cool to be honest

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PMBA R4 at Kirroughtree – worth an trip?’ is closed to new replies.