Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Plymouth area mountain bikers – your knowledge please!
  • teacake
    Free Member

I may be moving to Plymouth in a few months and want to know about local riding? Are there any riding groups (off and on road)?
    I’d be working in Estover.

What about the best areas to live? I was thinking Tavistock, Yerlverton, Ivybridge – thoughts? I’d like to ride to work and those spots are viable distances.

All points of view welcome!

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Try to get a hold of these guys:

Fully Sussed

This lot seem active too:

PLymouth CX

justinbieber

Tavistock is a bit too far IMO. 45mins + in rush hour, whereas Yelverton is only 30mins. Makes all the difference IMO. Yelverton and the surrounding area is lovely – I grew up there. Loads of riding from your doorstep (which I miss) – you’re right on the edge of Dartmoor.

Plenty of people to go riding with too – a friend of mine has just opened a bike shop in Yelverton (Rockin Bikes – 01822 258 022). He’s lived there all his life, so knows the area very well.

teacake
    Free Member

Really? 45 mins from Tavistock to Estover (by the old airport)? It’s only 11 miles.

I’d plan to ride it. I guess traffic is pretty heavy thereabouts?

jam-bo

Traffic from tavi into Plymouth is a shit. I can get to exeter quicker. There is the cycle path now that links all the way up through now so you can ride it off road.

Good xc riding in grenofen next to tavi, moors riding is ok this side of the moors but the good stuff is on the east side. If DH is your thing then gawton is five minutes out of tavi.

And yogi’s is the most active club round here.

justinbieber

Sorry, I thought you meant centre of town. Yeah, Estover would be a bit less, but traffic does get pretty heavy during rush hour. It’s not a fast road either – the bit across the moors is a 40 zone with limited overtaking.

jam-bo

It’s not a fast road either – the bit across the moors is a 40 zone with limited overtaking

The road from yelverton to Plymouth isn’t but you’ll be lucky to do more than 40 anyway…

I guess your a mate of scawn?

carlphillips
    Free Member

+1 for yogis, they a keen bunch with a good few routes to share, if you move to plympton then give me a shout, a fair few of us ride a few times a week.

justinbieber

Yelverton to Roborough used to be 40. They must have changed it.

Yes, I’m a mate of Scawn – know him for years and years…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Plymouth area mountain bikers – your knowledge please!’ is closed to new replies.