Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Plus sized Purgatory moan
  • bigh
    Free Member

Is anyone else having issues with 27.5+ purgatorys? If I run them at the sort of pressure required to make a fat tyre of any use, 18-20 psi for me as im 6ft4 and 15 stone fully kitted, then they just burp the rest out. 25-30 is okay but then what’s the point? Also the sidewalls are constantly damp with tyre sealant doing, and re-doing its job. Not hugely impressed to be honest.

nemesis
    Free Member

I found mine fairly loose on the rim but it seems to hold air ok at 18ish psi. I’m heavier than you too.

Might be worth using more tape to make it a tighter fit

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

What rims , and how wide are they internally ?

nemesis
    Free Member

SSC DS25 rims. 25mm internal

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The question was really aimed at the OP but 25mm is fairly narrow in the plus sized scheme of things . I have a Beast of the East and the rims are 45 mm and the tyres are secure at less than 10 psi although I run 12 psi in the rear because I don’t like the tyre hitting the rim on rocks or steps .

nemesis
    Free Member

Oh, yeah, thought you were the op 😳

The point though is that even with narrow rims for plus size, I’m not having issues.

scotroutes

I was going to ask the rim size too.

bigh
    Free Member

Very dumb of me not to give that info, scraper rims which are 45mm

wiggles
    Free Member

Not tried the purg but not had any of those issues with a ground control down to 12psi and I weight 16st. Gone for a scwalbe nobby NIC rocket Ron set up now though way more grip than the spec tyres.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m running TB on 30mm rims with no issues and I’m your weight, I was thinking about trying purgs too. @ramseyneil how are you liking the Beast? its on my wishlist.

sillyoldman

Try some clear Gorilla Tape – it’s 48mm wide and fits a 45mm rim well and goes on easily. One or two wraps should build it up enough. Doesn’t have the gloopy glue that some don’t like about the standard Gorilla Tape either.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Loving the Beast . Only negative I can find is the one that all plus bikes seem to struggle with of skating around on wet sloppy mud .

bigh
    Free Member

Will do sillyoldman, thanks

sillyoldman

That’s kinda what they’ll do. Big volume tyre floats on top, with insufficient tread depth/edge to bite into anything firm.

I ride other bikes in the gloop (which the West of Scotland has seen plenty of for the past 9 months) for that very reason. 29ers with spiky tyres in the gloop. Plus tyred bike when drier/frozen.

nemesis
    Free Member

Certainly found that with the trailblazers but with the purgatory, I’ve found myself getting more grip than I expect on mud even to the point of oversteering because I expected it to drift (on the front). I’m about to dump my spare set of 29er wheels with mud tyres because I’m not using them.

clubby

Ramsey Neil – Member
    Loving the Beast . Only negative I can find is the one that all plus bikes seem to struggle with of skating around on wet sloppy mud .

No, everyone not running proper tyres (Surly Dirt Wizards) struggles on wet sloppy mud.
    Those that do find no issues what so ever.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks Ramsey Neil it’s my preferred plus bike and I’m hovering over the buy button. Now which one , the 1 or 2?

scotroutes

Just like thinner-tyred bikes, tread pattern makes a huge difference. Yes, there’s a point at which extra floatation can be detrimental but slides can be minimised by using the right tyre. I’m currently running a Nobby Nic on the front, FatBNimble rear and the difference between that 2 x FBNs is like night and day. I’ll probably stick a FBN back on the front when the trails dry out again though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

2 , don’t like the look of the lefty and other than that I think the 1 gets a slightly upspecced rear mech and Scraper rims . Better paint job on the 2 and nothing that I need to upgrade . Oh yeah I forgot , the 1 gets a dropper , albeit a trans x one which is pretty unproven . I fitted a Reverb.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes I do prefer the red but I’m lefty curious as it’s been 20 years since I had one. If I’m correct I think they are boost free so should be easy to run 29ers I there or is the fork boosted?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Plus sized Purgatory moan’ is closed to new replies.