Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Plus hardtail recommendations
  • superstu
    Free Member

I think I’ve narrowed down my next hardtail to one of the following:

cotic solaris

whyte 905

Santa Cruz chameleon

anyone have experience of more than one of these? Leaning towards the Solaris, but all three look great on paper. Have had a test on the Solaris which has converted me to Plus, but like the idea that if I get bored I can switch to 29”.

Genesis Tarn was the other option in the back of my mind.

Use will be general trail riding, trail centres and exmoor, Dartmoor etc.

PolisherMan

I was all set on a Solaris, test rode it with 29 & 27.5+. Loved the plus.

Then a Tarn20 came up for £1100, which I bought. Now although I like it, I don’t love it! It weighs a metric tonne, it’s perfect for 10% of my riding. It’s a weapon downhill, but a plodder everywhere else.

Looking at getting a Solaris frame when they appear and a set of 29er wheels, probaly end up with 2.4″ tyres and swap the forks etc of the Tarn….

tdog
    Free Member

Ghost do one iirc and Surly offer the instigator 2.0 if you can still source one. Check out mtbr to see if 29″ wheels will fit but more than likely will.

Denis99
    Free Member

I bought a Marin Pine Mountain 2 2017 model, from Tartbikes.

£1600, full XT, Fox 34 , love it.

psycorp
    Free Member

If you don’t mind 2.8″ max tyres then check Dartmoor’s new range. The Hornet looks good.

If you’re after 3″ tyres then take a look at the Nordest Bardino or there are still some 2017 Dartmoor Primal Plus’s available which will take a 3″. Plenty of room in the back of mine with a 3″ Ranger.

rOcKeTdOg

throw in a trek roscoe as a wildcard

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’ve got a Solaris Max and a the newest Chameleon.

They are both brilliant but different sizes. I’m 6’2” , my cotic is a large, running a 60mm stem. The Chameleon is a XL running a 35mm stem. So they both fit the same but the Chameleon steers faster.

I’m keenest on the SC at the moment probably because the stays are nice and short when wound all the way in. Its more flickable than the Solaris Max and better for more aggressive riding.

However, the Cotic is a great mile muncher and very stable. And prettier.

tdog
    Free Member

Boy was that a schwweeeet vid with the man himself!

kwebb65
    Free Member

I have the sc chameleon plus, i love the thing ! Brilliant bike !!

submarined
    Free Member

Wasn’t aware of those Treks. Now I bloody want one, you massive shit.

goffy63
    Free Member

Another fantastic bike from Trek, the Trek Stache 29+. I’ve always ridden short travel 29ers (currently Yeti4.5c). I recently purchased a Stache 9.8, i have to say its a brilliant bike, very quick and capable and fun to ride. My Yeti ain’t getting much use for now!

<script src=”safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f1690d0d/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js” type=”text/javascript”></script><script src=”safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f1690d0d/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js” type=”text/javascript”></script>

huggis
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position. Have you looked at the Whyte 905 / 909 or Orange Crush?

singlespeedstu

I’d also add these two to the list.

Last Fastforward.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HjqMF4]Think it's time to put the 29er wheels back on.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Nordest Bardino.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Db5sy4]Nordest.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Both of then can run either +or 29 wheels and they’re both on the slacker and longer end of the scale.

sefton
    Free Member

I got a specialized fuse pro and I think it’s brilliant. Rode it 20miles around dunnerdale yesterday. 120mm reba, 3″ rubber, 14psi and a dropper….was 1300 last year in the sale. Not sure I could justify spending twice as much on a full bouncer.  Bb is on the low side so the odd pedal strike. Weighs around 27 without tubes.

superstu
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Huggis, yes have contemplated the Whyte but not checked one out yet. There are a few dealers driveable distance away so jut need some time to have a look. Reviews on them are great but not seen any rider feedback.

sefton
    Free Member

That new trek looks and sounds the same as the fuse

twonks

My Dartmoor Primal plus rides very well for such a low cost frame.

Built it up with 150mm Xfusion Sweeps and NN 2.8 tyres on 40mm rims.

Very capable trail centre ride and climbed like a goat with sticky feet up anything steep (albiet a little slower up steady slogs)

Such is the itch to keep trying new bikes, I’ve just stripped it all down to move onto a NS Snabb plus, which should hopefully be even more fun.

huggis
    Free Member

I’d maybe throw Trek Procaliber into the pot also

cb200
    Free Member

Well worth mentioning the Stanton Sherpa. I’ve run mine in both plus and 29 mode and it’s superb.

I’ve settled on 29er as it works best for me overall, but the plus was a whole heap of fun:

metalheart
    Free Member

Sherpa feels short imho.

batman11
    Free Member

Let’s just chuck in the, pipedream moxie &  production privee Shan gt.

Both of which are + and 29er compatable  and both of which are lovely to look at

scottalej
    Free Member

I bought a Felt Surplus recently and am loving it. Size up if you like to run a short stem though.

I have an original Solaris and found its ride disappointing compared to my early Soul probably due to the thicker tubing. A relatively heavy frame also.

astormatt
    Free Member

There is a reason the 905 nearly got a 5/5 in the last mtb mag….i have the 909 and it is genuinely awesome…if your budget stretches to this, i would highly recommend it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JkOgVplyAfpg73lA3

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Plus hardtail recommendations’ is closed to new replies.