Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Plus Gas for seized bearing
  • stmachreth
    Free Member

I bought a frame and were peeved to find most of the bearings seized into their various holes.

Any experience with using Plus Gas to unseize stuff like this?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Diesel’s better for unseizing stuff.

vincienup
    Free Member

Plusgas is a penetrating oil. It’s much better at the job than WD40 and the liquid drip can version is better than the aerosol.

It’s not a miracle juice though, and getting stuff that’s heavily jammed out may need other methods than just dripping magic juice on it – impacts and temperature changes are the usual additional persuaders. How viable they are depends on a lot of things including what the frame is made of.

Is there any way to get at the back of the bearings to thump them out?

stmachreth
    Free Member

Is diesel really better than a specific product? Genuine question

I can get a long allen key through the seattube to the back of the bearing, tried it with gt85 before xmas, hence the plus gas.

spooky_b329

Its brilliant stuff, the can lasts yonks as well. Its not magic but its better than WD40, also you just get a few drips on the floor rather than spraying oil across the floor behind your bike 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d happily use diesel as a degreaser but I’ve not used it as a penetrating oil. It can work (see thread for instance)

Penetrating oils aren’t going to be at their best shifting a bearing that has seized into a frame though. They might help a bit, but if you can get to the back of it you’re probably as well just working round it with a punch and a hammer, not proper belting it but tapping – idea being to break the corrosion rather than blast the bearing out. Assuming the bearing cartridge is going to be steel and the frame alu, steel is harder than alu so just blitzing it out with a massive blow risks leaving a hole that a bearing doesn’t fit in as well anymore…

If you can get one on it, careful use of a slidehammer would be pretty ideal.

stmachreth
    Free Member

Thanks again. It’s 853 steel, less of a risk than alu but I’d cry my little heart out if it broke.

Will dismantle, lay on its side, tape a soaked pad to the lower face, flood the upper face, then drift it out after a day or two.

Cheers

stmachreth
    Free Member

Hopefully the aerosol comes with a straw

wwaswas

If not, spray it into the lid of the can and use a small brush to spread it round the bearings. I’d go for multiple applications over a week and maybe lay the frame flat on one side to do those bearings so gravity helps fluid run and then turn over and do the same on the other side.

singletrackmind

Try gaffer tape glued across the lower face , less wicking effect
    Also , you might need a loctite product as a retainer once you get the offending item out , as you want the bearing to do the moving , not act like a bush and rotate in your frame. The corrosion may have opened up the hole enough to warrent this, or may be prefectly fine without

vincienup
    Free Member

If you haven’t bought it yet, honestly the liquid oil version of plusgas in the tin bottle with the pointy application spout is a much better product than the aerosol both in terms of VFM and effectiveness.

stmachreth
    Free Member

Excellent suggestions,cheers

Sadly I have bought the aerosol

vincienup
    Free Member

Aerosol still works, just not as awesomely and more expensive.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Plus Gas for seized bearing’ is closed to new replies.