Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Plus (650b+) bike recommendations please
  • NormalMan

So my father is thinking of switching to a Plus bike. He is 80 and still rides offroad, but more gentle cruising than shredding understandably.

Currently he rides a KHS Alite 2000SL 26er with a few upgrades, 1×10 x9 with carbon cranks, Rocket Rons, Renthal bars, SLX brakes, etc and then 120mm reba forks it came with. Weighs in around the 24lb mark.

He doesn’t really want a sus fork and likes the look of steel but is happy with alu frames. He doesn’t want it to weigh loads but at the same time understands it will be heavier than his current set up but might move over some of his current kit so is more interested in the frame/forks/wheels being decent. He likes the idea of the cushion and traction of plus tyres but isn’t interested in full fat. He also prefers a slower handling bike these days.

He used to like the Pinnacle Ramin plus bike but I couldn’t spot the rigid version online anymore?

Other bikes he has considered – Sonder (although doesn’t like the sus fork). Genesis Tarn or the main 2 contenders – Marin Pine Mountain and Ribble Adventure 725.

Budget is around the £1k mark.

So, STW, any other suggested bikes I can send his way?

trailwagger
    Free Member

I used to have a Cannondale Cujo that was pretty good for that sort of money

cokie

You could build up a nice Stooge Mk3 or MK4 (if he can wait).
    Does everything you want and has a classic look to it.
    He can even run a 29+ in the front.

ampthill

The sondor Frontier can apparently be built up 650b+

£250 frame and fork

Sonder Frontier

postierich
    Free Member

Second the Stooge such a comfy ride for a rigid.

avdave2

He used to like the Pinnacle Ramin plus bike but I couldn’t spot the rigid version online anymore?

They don’t appear to make it anymore which is a pity, I ride like an 80 year old and love mine.

TimP
    Free Member

Its a bit more cash but I love my Bombtrack Beyond+. I sold my Marin Pine Mountain for it. The Marin was a lot of fun but everything weighed more than it needed to (when the forks were recalled I weighed the new ones and they were over 2kg for rigid forks) and it was a big heavy lump.

johnnystorm

Surly Bridge Club comes with 2.4s but can take a 2.8

Swap all his parts onto a Karate Monkey frameset and new wheels?

Trek Roscoe looks good for a complete purchase.

johnnystorm

Oh, and Lyon are bringing Salsa in now so the Timberjack will presumably be part of the range.

andy5390

Genesis Longitude – a bit above budget at £1200 retail for 2019 model, but 2018 is available at £1k

Linky

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Pinnacle ramin 3+ … cracking bike and good value and under budget

jimdubleyou

Pinnacle ramin 3+ … cracking bike and good value and under budget

And not currently available…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Plus (650b+) bike recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.