Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 256 total)
  • Plunge sawyers, how are you getting on?
  • walowiz

So it’s arrived, nice reassuringly solid bit of kit.

Realised I should have already asked for a recommendation on router bits for it, so I can have a play with it at the weekend! My std go to for this kind of stuff is the ‘trade rated’ stuff from screwfix.

Also need to get a book on making units / furniture as I’ve got to make some units for the house to account for some odd angles. Unless I can make do with YouTube.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Woop woop! I just bagged a Makita rp2301cfx/2 for the bargain price of £178 from Amazon. Used but acceptable it said… Missing the dust extraction attachment but think I’ve got that for £2.50. We shall see when it arrives…. If it’s no good it can go back

Northwind

I finally joined the tracksaw nation, with pretty much the absolute cheapest one you can get, a Silverline 624327, for £80. And I am in love. I’m kind of a bodger and I like to work as I think, and this is the first time I’ve really been able to cut big bits of wood in a way that really suits that slightly random-brained approach. Just mark, line up and bzzzzt. We just finished clearing out my mum and dad’s place and I aquired a load of beaten up old furniture, and now 6 wardrobes have met their demise and been turned into shelf after shelf…

Next, a load of really big storage boxes, also made out of wardrobes. I could do it all with a circular saw of course or even by hand but I almost certainly never would, the speed of it just opens up possibilities and practicalities. Cheers STW thread!

Still to figure out track compatibility for it but tbh it’s no hardship to live with the 1400mm for now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilnevill
    Free Member

Gahhh! Router looks amazing, no visible damage, can’t see the marks on the case they described… Get the guide assembled, give it all a check over… Where is the collet? Not in the box…hmmm, I’ll get on to Amazon as it wasn’t supposed to be missing and get one sent out… Hang on, let’s see if it’s the shaft and not AWOL…. Undo nut… bollox, bollox bollox. Collet is shattered and a large piece is, I assume stuck in the shaft. It’s going back then. I reckon it got bought, pulled out the box and set up ready to go then dropped/fell from the work bench onto a hard floor by the bit, breaking the collet and the (described as missing) dust extraction attachment…. And doing possibly lots of unseen internal damage. The naughty first purchaser then boxed it back up and returned it. Amazon discovered the missing dust extraction attachment and listed the router as ‘used, acceptable’ but no. Lesson here kids, Amazon aren’t that thorough at checking for damage on returned items. Oh well, Hermes will collect and return it, Amazon pay for that.

Having handled it…I want one for sure now!

burko73

Neilneville they are £258 at toolstop and there’s 5% off your first purchase!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Cheers, yes I pulled the trigger there. £80 more than Amazon, but delivered in one piece and working!

walowiz

Resurrecting this thread, rather than creating a new one.

My lower back problem has come back with a bloody vengeance, all solveaable but takes some time, so need to get some trestle tables that are height adjustable, so I can raise the work area, bending over is trucking painful at the moment.

Anyone recommend some trestle tables that are height adjustable, have slots that take 2×4 and don’t take 20 minutes to assemble every time I need to set it all up ?

footflaps

I have a pair of Toughbuilt saw horses which are height adjustable and can take 2×4 or 4x4s to make a bench.

piemonster

I also have the Toughbuilts, C700s too.

Seem very good bits of kit to me. I wouldn’t however say the height adjustability is anything special, they’re either at full height or too low. I’m 6ft 1 for reference.

walowiz

@footflaps @piemonster thanks, had a look and ordered, seems to be the best of the bunch.

piemonster

What are the options for “cheap” dust extraction?

I’m currently al fresco with a good mask, but frankly, crap weather days are good days for making stuff.

I think I’d be plugging whatever is extracting onto multiple power tool one at a time. Low volumes too.

Space is very very limited.

nickjb
    Free Member

Cheap dust extraction usually means a Henry. Only really good for one tool at a time but you usually only use one tool at a time. I’ve got mine plugged into a remote control so it’s easy to turn it on and off. I keep looking into ‘proper’ dust extraction but they are way bigger, more expensive and often no better for hand held tools.

walowiz

@piemonster

What are the options for “cheap” dust extraction

I bought the Aldi wet dry vacuum with the power tool switch when it was last on – last year I think – at £40 IIRC reliable, works well and cheapest I could find.

Not as good or anywhere near as big as the proper dust extraction kit, but I’m also limited on space.

maccruiskeen

Looking on eBay you often get second hand / reconditioned ‘Henrys’ that are the simpler commercial models (no retractable cord) going very cheaply

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve got a titan Wet n Dry vac after my old Nilfisk died. 30ltr version, and it takes an age to get the thing full. Loads of power. Makes a huge difference to cleaning up (or not having to clean up) after cutting/sanding etc.

I’d suggest the smallest one that still has a PTO socket for tools.

kayak23

I have a Titan one too with a power tool take off.
    It’s got loads of oomph. Very good.

I fitted a Festool hose to it though as the rubber end tends to play better with most tool outlets.

It’s also supposed to be anti static, but I’m forever getting static shocks off it.
    Does me nut.

Anyone know how to reduce static?
    Annoying as the Festool hose is specifically meant to be anti static.

tomd
    Free Member

It’s also supposed to be anti static, but I’m forever getting static shocks off it.
    Does me nut.

A hose in itself can’t be antistatic unless it’s earthed in some way. All it really means is that it’s conductive so the charge will flow but it needs a route earth. Does the festool vac have some sort of continuity between the hose and vac that you’re missing?

When we hook up temporary hydrocarbon hoses you basically have to electrically bond them all together and then to earth somewhere so no section of hose can build a charge.

maccruiskeen

Does me nut.

Needs to be a vac designed to work with that kind of hose. The Fein vac I use has little copper doodahs in the socket the the hose pushes into that presumably connects to earth. I think the festool ones the plastic itself is conductive.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Another vote for Titan vac. I bought mine when fitting a kitchen, done another and several other very very very dusty DIY jobs, does well. Mine doesn’t have the PTO so I just got one of the eon plugs.

dmorts

Anyone bought the Benchdogs rail hinge for MFT tops?

piemonster

Cheers all, that’s given me a start, and some possible end points.

Not short of irony as I have to make quite a bit of stiff before I get somewhere to store it.

footflaps

Peter Millard reviews the Workzone one…

piemonster

Cheers, I watched that this morning.

Not currently on the Aldi website but the Sheppach labelled one seems readily available.

I can certainly find a home for something that size and shape already.

dyna-ti

Im sure you can upgrade the hose easily enough to something longer, but side by side the £60 affair is a very good deal.

Lack of take off power is the only thing that lets it down. Festool are let down as ever by being as tight as a Highland Scotsman by only giving you a single bag.

piemonster

There’s another Millard vid about the power take off, he bypassed it by using an “Intelliplug” (or something like that)

It was designed to power off devices that normally stay on stand by.

In this case, it’d send power to the extractor a few seconds after starting a tool, and switch it off a few seconds after the tool is stopped.

Although I’d be a bit more concerned about over working that plug than he is.

dyna-ti

Anybody recently bought a Bosch plunge saw ?.

Im in the market for one but just deciding on the 240v or the cordless(already got batteries on the drill)

Reason im asking because previously a few years ago there was a bit of warping on some Bosch plunge saw bases, and im wondering if they’ve sorted that out, or is it still hit or miss. Needs returned, delay,delay,delay.

peaslaker
    Free Member

In solving dust extraction, noise, size and portability became my next problems. I had a £40 shopvac that sounded like a 747 taking off attached to an Amazon bought far-east cyclone and a blue food keg. To set up in any location you had to disconnect stuff and trail sawdust from thither to hither before joining it all up again. Remote start I fixed with an Ikea Tradfri plug and switch (magnetic) set. (I tried the E-ON plug but it was unreliable and you need an override for general work area cleanup, not just when the tool is running)

Matching it to tools I used one of the Cen-Tec sets from Amazon and the pipework between the cyclone and he vac was pvc drain pipe pieces. The cheap shopvac didn’t have any kind of pleated filter – just the bag and a bit of foam so I was still breathing filthy air and a layer of dust would settle on surfaces.

But… the separator really worked well. Hardly anything in the shop vac itself and full suction all the way to full. The final problem was that you had to open the keg to see how full it was.

I stretched this setup to the limit, using it for a thicknesser and working with scaffold boards. This would clog up the hose reliably if you took thick cuts but it did work if you were sensible. The separator did its thing but even with 30 litres of keg, it would fill up in minutes and would create a real mess if you let it get over-full.

I’ve since given in to the green-eyed monster and have a Festool setup. It has turned out to be wife-friendly expenditure; it is quieter; it is properly filtered; it attaches reliably to tools. The Festool pre-separator (an extravagance) isn’t very good, losing a lot of suction and letting a lot through to the vacuum bag if it gets reasonably full; its usable capacity is therefore much lower than the advertised 20 litres and using it with plastic liner bags (Festool recommended) is pathetic and useless.

So for me, the sweet spot for cheap and compact would actually be a large size (30l) shop vac with a power take off and a HEPA filter… or a compact vac with a separator rig integrated on top of it. I wouldn’t use a compact vac without a separator.

My future probably has me rigging up another cyclone setup on top of the Festool.

maccruiskeen

The Festool pre-separator (an extravagance) isn’t very good, losing a lot of suction and letting a lot through to the vacuum bag if it gets reasonably full

wrong tool for the job really – the volume of material generated by a thicknesser really requires a chip collector rather than an extractor. The stuff coming out of a thicknesser isn’t dust and theres too much of it for any kind of extractor with or without a pre-separator.

The final problem was that you had to open the keg to see how full it was.

I’ve made boxes to use with those cyclones rather than use a bucket/drum – with a couple of perspex windows set into the sides so you can keep an eye on how full they are getting

footflaps

Anybody recently bought a Bosch plunge saw ?.

I did about 7 years ago.. not had any problems with it (240v version). No where near as sophisticated as a Festool etc. I also have a Mafell now and just use the Bosch for ripping sheets.

piemonster

For assembling carcasses, are band clamps useful?

dyna-ti

I did about 7 years ago.. not had any problems with it (240v version). No where near as sophisticated as a Festool etc. I also have a Mafell now and just use the Bosch for ripping sheets.

No chance of buying the festool. Im not working professionally any more so just cant justify such a price.

But is tthat you have one spare 😀 😀 😀

Care to part with it ?.

@Piemonster

Not really, they’re best for clamping up round or hexy shaped things. The dont really apply a great deal of pressure.

Stick to using sash or parallel cramps.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-sash-clamp-35-/8980V?tc=WT4&ds_kid=92700055262507126&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIws_J5Yag9wIV5ejtCh1cmgepEAQYASABEgJMlvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

neilnevill
    Free Member

I hadn’t thought of a cyclone/pre separator. For 20 quid on eBay plus the bin/barrel and hose that must be a good shout. Cheers.

kayak23

For assembling carcasses, are band clamps useful?

Yes and no ime.
    You can apply pressure, but whether you can apply it where it’s needed is another thing.

Sash clamps allow you to direct force where it’s needed by subtle angling of the clamps.
    Clamping up is very much an art in itself.

Sometimes you’ll be gluing up a carcass that you find isn’t sitting square (measure the diagonals) sash clamps allow you to force the carcass square whilst also closing the joint.

Usually you have to make up clamping blocks specifically for each task.
    It’s not just about protecting the surface, again, it’s about being able to put the clamping pressure where it’s needed.

Whenever I glue up anything, I always do a dry run first, getting everything completely as I need it minus any glue.
    As soon as you put glue anywhere near your work, everything will go Pete Tong 😂

The amount of students I used to get that you’d see putting glue on everything, taking their time and you’d ask if they had all the clamps they needed and had done a dry run?
    Um….no.

Cue a mad dash by me to make sure they didn’t completely screw up all their hard work while clamping it up 😳

I very rarely use band clamps to clamp up a rectangular carcass, but on the rare occasions I have, I’ve usually had to supplement them with other methods to make sure the carcass is pulled square.

It’s very important to be extremely stressed when you glue anything up 😉😂

dyna-ti

It’s very important to be extremely stressed when you glue anything up 😉😂

Goes with the territory 😆

HOUSE IS ON FIRE !!….. sorry, cant deal with it,I’m gluing up.

One of my classmates made this as his final piece. Gerrit Rietveld sideboard. It was the devil to glue, and he had to loosen joints off and redo them as some of them only required small spots which dried really quickly. An exercise is patience.

piemonster

I’ll take a hard pass on trying that

Anyway, cheers both, sash clamps ahoy

kayak23

Rutlands is good for Sash clamps.
    Their Record copies are pretty good ime.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Jesus, imagine dusting that bastard

footflaps

I’ve got a load of the Irwin quick grip sash clamps in various sizes up to 50″ I think. The big ones clamp really tightly – as in no need for any more force. They also all double as spreaders which is handy – although the bar will bend under any heavy load.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-quick-grip-xp-bar-clamp-50/40434

footflaps

Back to the routers, this little jig just turned up from Etsy – fits the Bosch 600W 1/4″ router to the Bosch track saw rails, with integrated dust extraction port!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nftnQX]Bosch mini router jig[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1182011113/skf-600-rail-base-bespoke-adaptor-for?ref=yr_purchases

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 256 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.