Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Plumbing Vent/Sewer Vent Problems
  • singlespeedstu

I’ve noticed a small damp patch on the ceiling in an upstairs bathroom.
    Just been up in the loft to take a look.
    There is a plumbing/sewer/toilet vent that’s connected to a vent in the roof tiles.
    Its connected with a silver foil insulated type pipe that comes down from the vent then lies flat across the insulation before connecting the the sewer vent pipe.
    It looks like over time water has got in to the pipe via the roof vent and where its lay flat has somehow come through the pipe. The pipe is only held on at the bottom end with tape.
    So my questions are.
    Should the roof vent let water in?
    (Similar vents are connected to extractor fans and don’t have this problem)
    Should this type of pipe be used for this application?
    I would think a more waterproof pipe with a constant downward slope would be better as any rain comming in would just run into the sewer vent?

If I can’t fix it myself would a plumber or roofer be better to call for help?

While it is normal for the vent pipe to be open (and so let rain in) it isn’t normal to have flex pipe as part of it. What is the pipe made of where it goes through the roof?

It is possible to get caps for the vent pipe – we have one on an ex vent pipe that is now a fan exhaust. But really you want to replace the flex pipe with rigid, and slope it downwards as you suggest.

Plumber if you can’t do it yourself, but it should be a simple DIY job.

singlespeedstu

Cheers.
    I’ll look into getting some stiffer plastic coiled pipe and run it short enough that it doesn’t have any flat sections.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing Vent/Sewer Vent Problems’ is closed to new replies.