Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Plumbing advice please! microbore – partial replacement
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Hey boring plumbing woes I’m afraid…

I have a 3 story mid 90s house with 8mm microbore its been slowly dying over the years and I’ve replaced what I could afford at different times… but now downstairs has packed up and the first floor is only “warm”. Upstairs is still hot though.

The first floor has new rads but that didnt make much difference.

I want to know if I replace the 8mm pipe on the first 2 floors if I’m likely to get into any other trouble… ie stop the top floor working?

I cant afford the time to do all 3 floors at the moment but my plan is to simply run 15mm plastic to replace the 8mm. The main feed is 20 or 22mm (off the top of my head) so think thats fine.

edit – whats the best way to cut plasterboard from the walls? (that makes as little mess as possible)

Thanks

Flaperon

Don’t think there will be any problems. My house is a mixture of 15mm and microbore. Just balance as normal afterward.

Had some success cutting plaster with an oscillating multi-tool.

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks that’s good to hear! I did think of using that but thought it could be a bit slow compared for a full length but probably still the least messy of power tools

Greybeard
    Free Member

Cutting plaster with a Stanley knife is what I’ve done; both plaster board and insitu plaster. Either freehand or start with a metal straightedge and it might take 5 or 6 runs over the cut. Minimal dust. For insitu plaster I then chiselled out between the cuts, some dust, but much less than a power tool (which made so much dust I couldn’t see where I was cutting).

steveb

Platerboard cutting with multitool is actually very quick. If you angle the cuts about 30deg from normal, the bit you cut out can go back in. Wet the edges, smeg on acrylic no more nails type stuff, put the patch back. Patch now very slightly sub-flush due to blade thickness, so skim over with filler or plaster.

alexxx
    Free Member

Great thanks for the tips!

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best wall mounted brackets, I want to run 15mm plastic into copper that comes vertically out of the wall – it doesn’t seem like theres loads of choice for options available. I’m leaning towards speedfit.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The best thing to cut plasterboard is a plasterboard saw, or jab saw.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/jabsaws/cat9800010

Jingle
    Free Member

steveb: nice use of the word ‘normal’.

Chapeau!

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve got a jab saw they are just a bit crappy when its all dot and dab behind it – no worries I’ll crack on 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing advice please! microbore – partial replacement’ is closed to new replies.