Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Plumbers help required to make up a short length of threaded pipe
  • Markie
    Free Member

Hey all.

I’m looking for some help getting a small piece of plumbers pipe (PVC?) threaded at each end. I need it to fix up a garden hose reel (and it will be acting as an axle, so good quality pipe needed, I suppose).

I’d like it to made from pipe that is DN20 (NPS 3/4) SCH 80 (/XS)*. It needs to have a total length of 90mm with 11mm of each end threaded (an unthreaded centre length of 68mm). The threads are to be whatever normal outdoor tap 3/4″ (19mm?) threads are.

Happy (of course!) to pay for it (perhaps rashly figuring it won’t be that much, but keen to find out?!), or if anyone knows anywhere online that could make this kind of thing up?

Cheers

Mark

*Based on my Wiki understanding that this has an outside diameter of 26.67mm with thick enough walls (3.912mm) to hold the thread successfully and make it strong enough to be an axle!

Stoner
    Free Member

Markie – im off to my plumbing even class tonight. Tuesday is workshop night and Ive just finished some Low Carbon Steel work. There’s loads of offcuts I could use.

If Steel 3/4″ is Ok with you, Im pretty certain that the thread we cut into the tube is the same as hose tap, but Ill take a hoselock hose adaptor with me and check.

Probably wont be that pretty as it’s a very short length and the technique we have to use involves knackered pipe jaws, but It should work, juts may need a bit of filing.

Could bung it in the post to you tomorrow.

Markie
    Free Member

That would be lovely! Would the internal diameter still be about the same? Let me know what I owe you and I’ll PayPal it immediately! Cheers! 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

think the i.d. should OK.
    Will take verniers with me tonight.

Only cost would be postage so will let you know when it’s on its way.

Cougar

Later, we would all refer to this day as “the start of the great STW pipe bomb project.”

Cougar

Make sure that after you’ve used the tap and die, you use something to check that they’re smooth and uniform; I find that a guitar plectrum is an ideal size for tracing round the grooves. I often think to myself, this thread is useless without picks.

Stoner
    Free Member

slow day at work cougar?
    😉

Cougar

Someone’s brewed a bit pot of diesel coffee and left it unattended.

Bear
    Free Member

make sure and use galvanized if it is connected to the water main, better still stainless.

Stoner
    Free Member

not engineering quality, but if these dimensions are suitable Markie, let me know and Ill post it to you.
    M

You may need to do a little bit of work on the threads with a file as the dies in the college workshop are shot to shit.

totalshell

proper job way to go!

Markie
    Free Member

Wow, that looks fantastic… yes please!

Threads need work? No probs, I’ll dig out my plectrum 😉

Thank you.

Stoner
    Free Member

no problem.
    just lucky your need coincided with the syllabus! 🙂

almightydutch
    Free Member

He’s not lucky, he’s doing the same course but is a week behind.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW markie, put a pic up of your finished project when its done.

sharkbait
    Free Member

How cool is that?
    Nice one Stoner

Stoner
    Free Member

Tiger6791

I like this thread, everything that’s great about STW, no bickering or big hitters just somebody helping out and enjoying it.

Hoo_f’ing-ray for STW

Stoner
    Free Member

let’s hear it for the small prodders! yay!

(BTW Markie, it will be in the post tomorrow. Would have been today but in these times of profligacy, “public service” doesnt extend to wednesday afternoons at our local SPO 😉 )

Markie
    Free Member

😀

Cheers Stoner!

It’s all coming together nicely… the fittings have just arrived!

Also, it looks like our planning permission has gone through – a lucky week for me!

Stoner
    Free Member

usefully, those fittings appear to have a rubber grommet that seals against the pipe end, as opposed to relying on the thread being water-tight (v unwise with my dieing 🙂 )

I ground the pipe ends flat for you so the grommets should seal against them nicely.

Mrs S put the pipe in the post this morning hopefully.

Markie
    Free Member

Woohoo!

First things first. Stoner, thank you. I very much appreciate your making this for me.

All arrived yesterday, but today was the day of action!

A few comparison shots and of the assembly… roll on next summer (and no hosepipe bans, please). 😀

😀

Stoner
    Free Member

brilliant stuff.
    What is it? 😉

Is it for two hoses or for daisy chaining?

Markie
    Free Member

Cheers! 😀

Basically, I’ve got 50m of 19mm hose and needed a hose reel for it. I wanted as much as possible of the water path to be as wide as possible in order to maximise water flow at the far end, and so wanted the reel to have that size connector. The Claber Metal Gemini seemed the best bet and Claber told me yes, it could easily be adpated to take 19mm fittings. They were right, but only because you made it so simple for me!

My last photo above is misleading, because I’ve plugged the end of the hose that water would come out of onto the plug that would normally be attached to the outside faucet and that water goes into!

In the top two photos, the lower black plastic piece is the piece your metalwork (with one tap adaptor screwed on as per photo 2) replaced… photo 2 makes it look like the part is bent, it’s not!

It has to be said, I’m very relieved I measured everything correctly, or it would have been a quite embarrassing end to the thread!

Anyhow, thanks again!

And for anyone contemplating using a Metal Gemini with 19mm Gardena Profi hose fittings, this is the way!

Stoner
    Free Member

gotcha. Different bore, so standard fitting axle needed replacing!

Should give you enough flow rate to have a power shower at the other end 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers help required to make up a short length of threaded pipe’ is closed to new replies.