Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Plumbers DIY – Drilling a bath hole
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I need to drill a hole in my bath – B & Q fiberglass ?? Certainly not steel anyway- to put a plug at the other end of my bath
    Is it as simple? DO I just pilot hole and hole cutter of appropriate size? Do I need specifc type of cutter?
    I assume I just drill slowly as I really dont want to split the bath.
    Yes I know it is a daft thing to do but there is a good reasons for me doing it ….honest.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I wouldn't do it, the bath wont drain fully from the other end.

The bit the the plug hole goes in is usually recessed as well to take the metal plate thing

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just turn the bath around silly!

wors

what he said ^^^.

eth3er
    Free Member

I misread the heading 🙂 , carry on I have nowt useful to add.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What Cheesyfeet, cynic-al and wors said.

And *snigger* at what eth3er said 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

If only it was that simple.
    It is a corner bath in a narrow boat so cannot be moved/turned without being cut. The plug hole is uphill from the bottom end of the bath [ as the boat slopes slightly downhill- it worked when I fitted it out of the water when I failed to take account of this fact DOH] and it does not drain at present hence the need to drain it from the other end via a new hole –

I cannot do any of the things suggested so far and have no intereste din drilling other holes eth3er – nice joke BTW.

SO HOW DO I DRILL THE BATH PLEASE

carlos
    Free Member

If you really have to then all the stuff in the OP are correct, When I've drilled holes for taps I've also taped (Duct or masking) where I'm drilling through.

1) Tape it
    2) Mark it
    3) Pilot in centre
    4) Use correct size hole cutter. (Normal hole cutter used)
    5) Don't drill to fast or push to hard, let the drill do the work.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Oh, and whatever you do, be careful not to drill down too far 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

When you come to fit the new shiney plug/waste get a tube of Proseal and use that inside and under the bath to create a waterproof seal, this stuff sets and seals hole underwater. Poss get it from aquarium places or maybe local builders, eg Travis, Jewsons etc..

takisawa2

Whatever happens try not to drill toooo deep. 🙂

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Can't you just raise the other end of the bath slightly to make it a downhill slope?

wwaswas

maybe you could get everyone to move up to the other end of the boat when you want to drain the bath so the water all goes to the plug end?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wont drill through boat as bath is on bearers and I have about 6 inch clearance underneath and at 10 mm thick it would take some serious effort but I shall be careful.

Good advice re proseal thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers DIY – Drilling a bath hole’ is closed to new replies.