Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Plumbers and bathroomists – Low profile walk in shower tray- fitted to joists.
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Our attic conversion has a low ceiling so every inch counts (don’t they all).
    I am looking for ideally an 1800 x 800 low profile shower tray that can be fitted straight onto the joists- wanting to cut into the 22mm floor which will be linoed.
    The other issue is that the waste must be at one end rather than central as there is a steel in the way…
    Min 1700×700
    Max 2000x 800

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s what Ive got.

But fitted it 7 yrs ago so doubt I can find out model name etc but will have a look…

EDIT I think this is the one
    https://www.the-bathroom-showroom.co.uk/products/shower-enclosures-and-doors/shower-trays/1000255501

5plusn8
    Free Member

Boom that is exactly what I want.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The other option is you can fit a rainfall shower in the ceiling.

We were going to do this in our bathroom as our ceilings seem to be one breezeblock shorter than normal. Ended up saving money and just putting a normal shower head in and putting the rainfall one in the en-suite.

The shower tray itself is pretty much floor level I think, I’ll get a pic tonight if I get home in daylight (no electrics whilst the building works going on).

Liftman

Just did our ensuite earlier this year and fitted a low profice Mira shower tray, was the lowest profile tray i could find at the time.

https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/shower-trays/mira-flight-low-rectangle-1000-x-760-0-upstands/

Drains suprisingly well considering its low profile.

supremebean
    Free Member

Plenty of low profile trays out there with different waste positions and all sorts of sizes too. If the tray is being sunk into the floor, the gaps between the joists will need to be filled with ply to joist level (or the removed flooring) and strengthened around the edges of the hole. You can’t just lay the tray on the joists, it will have to have a bed of mortar underneath so needs to be completely supported apart from the waste trap hole.

I install many large trays as in the photo above, i use a company called Kudos for all my trays, glass panels and wetroom installations.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Supreambeam is spot on, needs to be supported underneath with noggins and boarded. I also recommend Kudos shower parts, or Matki do a 30mm thick tray that flush finishes with tiles once the boards are cut and nogged out.

rmacattack
    Free Member

@supremebean, where are you located?

supremebean
    Free Member

@supremebean, where are you located?

Black Isle, north of Inverness.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’m curious about how this works. Assuming joists are every 40cm, you must cut at least one, possibly two, to get a shower tray in. Doubling up the adjacent joists and fitting trimmers is easy enough in a new build but in an existing house it probably means taking up the floors in adjacent rooms. Plus the complications in an attic where the joists may also be tying the rafters.

supremebean
    Free Member

I’m curious about how this works. Assuming joists are every 40cm, you must cut at least one, possibly two, to get a shower tray in. Doubling up the adjacent joists and fitting trimmers is easy enough in a new build but in an existing house it probably means taking up the floors in adjacent rooms. Plus the complications in an attic where the joists may also be tying the rafters.

No cutting of joists required, he wants to gain 22mm by removing chipboard(?) flooring where tray will sit and filling between the joists. So tray will sit on top of the joists.

Greybeard
    Free Member

No cutting of joists required, he wants to gain 22mm by removing … flooring

Ah, thanks, misunderstood. That’s OK then.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Exactly, putting batten 22mm below joist level, cutting ply to fit and making a “floor” at joist level. Screed the 30-45mm shower tray into place and then I only have 20 odd mm above my 22mm chipboard, more importantly the middle of the tray where you stand is likely much lower than the 45mm top of the tray so my 1923mm ceiling seems less close…

supremebean
    Free Member

Exactly, putting batten 22mm below joist level, cutting ply to fit and making a “floor” at joist level. Screed the 30-45mm shower tray into place and then I only have 20 odd mm above my 22mm chipboard, more importantly the middle of the tray where you stand is likely much lower than the 45mm top of the tray so my 1923mm ceiling seems less close..

A little tip to aid in the installation: Once you have the flooring cut out, installed the ply and braced the sides of the flooring, i would cut out a further 200 mm of flooring around the perimeter of the tray. This will help in getting the tray laid as it can be difficult to drop it into a hole and get it level without a bit of wiggling, especially at the sizes of tray you have in mind.. Then fit new noggins etc for flooring and replace flooring.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Thats a great tip. The bathroom is only small so gonna refloor it to make it easy.

shifter
    Free Member

Bear in mind where the waste pipe is going. We had a lower tray fitted in our en-suite where the waste went into the old pipe. The shower tray now doesn’t drain properly as I think the pipe is a bit uphill from the trap outlet 😡

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d only ever fit a tray that I could ensure the waste is set to fall and not blocked, I try to replace with new back to the stack if possible:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Plumbers and bathroomists – Low profile walk in shower tray- fitted to joists.’ is closed to new replies.