Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Plumber knowledge – a whining cistern
  • DickBarton

The downstairs toilet has started whining over the last week or so. It seems to stop when I remove the cistern list and give the adjustable arm of the ballcock a wee tap. There is then a whoosh of air and lot of air bubbles appear.

Running a tap elsewhere in the house can kick it off as well as it just doing it on it’s own accord – the quick tap (which slightly depresses the adjuster arm) seems to sort it.

Assuming it is air, what should I be looking at doing to remove the air so it stops the whining noise? The toilet has been in place for quite some time and works perfectly, no leaks, no cracks, the cistern appears clear of any debris. I can adjust the level of the ballcock to determine how much water goes in to the cistern – that hasn’t been touched since the day it was installed.

Apart from having a slight understanding that pipework is needed to get water to various taps and things in the house, my knowledge from there is non-existant. I’m describing the system as a ballcock but it isn’t looking like a ballcock – same idea but the adjuster seems to sit in a slider and the arm depresses or rises depending on the height of the water – so as it flushes, it drops and as it fills it rises (yes, exactly the same as a ball-shaped ballcock solution, I just don’t know the name of this type. I’m assuming somehow, there is an air pocket in there that gets activated somehow. Inside the cistern, the pipework and connections all appear to be plastic and apart from when I quickly tap the arm, there are no bubbles visible anywhere in there.

I’m looking to try and get it fixed as when it happens during the night, I’m being woken up and accused of having terrible wind (despite the fact the whining from the toilet is still going on and clearly isn’t my body!).

Cheers.

Flaperon

Might be easier to just swap out the whole filling assembly. They’re less than twenty quid from Screwfix etc and provided the access is OK it’s only a 15 minute job.

DickBarton

Will take a nosey at trying that…cheers.

toofarwest

Is it a Torbeck valve?

DickBarton

No idea I’m afraid…

It looks similar to this -https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-button-cable-dual-flush-bottom-inlet/58353 – in that picture it is the black and dark grey bit that seems to be whining and also where the air bubbles come from when I tap the plunger bit.

tthew

First port of call for any bog-noise problems is the little diaphragm that seals the flow off when it’s full. Simple job, you just remove the lever that the float you are describing pushes, and it’s behind the piston at the other end.

You have to get the right make/type though, some look very similar but aren’t interchangeable. Ask me how I know. 🙄

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Plumber knowledge – a whining cistern’ is closed to new replies.