pliers based multitool – Leatherman or Gerber ?

Home Forum Chat Forum pliers based multitool – Leatherman or Gerber ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • pliers based multitool – Leatherman or Gerber ?
  • RudeBoy

Can’t speak for Gerber, but I have a little Leatherman Juice, which I’ve had for a few years now. Fantastic little tool; has done great service and is great quality.

But a greater testimony to the quality of the tools; A friend of mine found an older full-sized Leatherman tool buried on her allotment. It mustuv been there for a few years, as she’d had the plot a while. A good clean, and it’s good as gold. Top quality metal.

Premier Icon Brother_Will
    Subscriber

Leatherman are definitely better quality ive had both gerber and leatherman and its the leatherman that still gets used everyday whereas whats left of the gerber was consigned to the bin long ago. My Dad is still using the one he got of an american soldier 20 years ago.

Keep it simple, this leatherman would be ideal Leatherman Core

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’ve seen loads of floppy worn leathermen, but my Gerber is ace. Gerber every time in my opinion.

None of that stainless steel Victorinox rubbish, this is the good stuff.

Premier Icon JasonDS
    Subscriber

I’ve a Leatherman Wave, and love it – cart it around whenever I’m out and about.

Xan

Gerber all the way. My mate uses these on a regular basis. He was destroying a Leatheman in less than a year and his Gerber has lasted about 3-4 years so far.

owenfackrell

I use a gerber one at work and it is used most days and find it very good. It has had alsorts of abuise in the 2 years that i have had it and it still looks like new.. I also have one for when out on my bike though that very really if ever gets used so it is perfect.

dr_adams

I have a leatherman i had for 3-4 years… charge i think and haven’t truely used it much its in the backpack just incase and it works fine, nothing is loose, it looks brand new, it has been useful for odd times i needed to bodge something and didn’t have the proper tools and will deffo get another should this one die… The one thing i would look at is how easy it is to replace tools, i had to saw through a metal bolt with it and it hasn’t really done much to the saw but it may and so replacement of parts would be my major deciding factor

AndyPaice

thinking about a pliers based multi tool to take with me when riding.
    Leatherman seem quite expensive, while Gerber seem very reasonably priced in comparison.

Are leatherman better quality, or just more expensive? Anyone got something similar to these?

I need something that is good quality, i.e a knife that holds a good edge, wire cutters that cut wire etc

looking at some like these:

Gerber 400

Gerber 600

Gerber Suspension

Xan

wish i had never read this post now. I’m goin 2 buy the suspension with the tool kit added in. Looks the lightest tool out of them all

Premier Icon PePPeR
    Subscriber

I use a Gerber 600, and have used it every day for the past 9 years at work. Its true that if you use a Leatherman every day they go floppy, the gerber doesn’t. Either way they both have great warranties and do what it says on the tin, I prefer the Gerber with its screwdriver add on, it means I can use normal screwdriver bits for the work I do.

Mines been back a couple of times when I’ve broken bits and pieces on it and they’ve just swapped it over straight away for a replacement.

AndyPaice

For all of you that have the Gerbers with the flick out pliers how do you find them? Are they as easy to use as they look?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The pliers on mine are great pliers, but be careful flicking them out. I tried it once in our lovely brand new kitchen, slipped out of my hand and put a big dent in one of the doors…

Premier Icon PePPeR
    Subscriber

I love the slide out pliers, very quick and neat, you can do it all one handed whilst holding the appliance or cable in the other hand.

trail_rat

another vote for leatherman here , got a blast. given to me on my 18th by my mates and still working 5 years later , used it at work most days (saves walking to the work shop to get stuff) and it traveled round nz with me being used everyday as an eating utensil/food prep/tin opener and occasionally to do other stuff. Havnt even had to sharpen the knife yet but its getting to the stage where a sharpen wouldnt go a miss …still sliced the girlfriends hand open when she was cutting carrots stupid ways

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘pliers based multitool – Leatherman or Gerber ?’ is closed to new replies.