• This topic has 38 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Please sponsor me – let's make it interesting
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m doing the Velothon Wales on the 14th of June, and I thought about sponsorship, but then I remembered how everyone complains about sponsorship these days because it’s always a flat fee and never performance based.

So for my first time asking for sponsorship I thought I’d change that. Velothon Wales is a closed-road sportive, 140km long, through South Wales starting and finishing in Cardiff city centre. There’s 1,826m of climbing, which includes two Welsh classics – The Tumble, about halfway round, and the nice and steep Caerphilly Mountain near the end.

I think I can do it in under 5h30. I therefore suggest an amount (say 10p) per minute under 5h30. I don’t think it will take me that long of course, because we do want to collect some money after all, but I’m not going to tell you how long I think it’ll actually take. You’ll have to decide how fat and slow I am based on all my waffle and windbaggery on STW 🙂

I will sponsor myself for 20p/min, but I will also donate 50p for every minute I come in OVER 5h30 as a penalty.

The idea is that hopefully people will post on this thread with amounts, and then after the event I will admit my time and you can donate the actual cash on justgiving. You can of course donate any amount you want even if I don’t beat 5h30 because well, you know.. charity.

I have a spot tracker for any virtual spectators, and as long as it’s not too hot I’ll wear my Captain America outfit* for the benefit of any real spectators.

* for those who missed the Christmas gift thread this is real cycling gear printed like Captain America, not actual fancy dress. Sod that in June 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s the one. May get the short sleeved one if it’s a hot day, is a tenner on ebay I think. Comes with equally tight shorts instead of longs.

fasthaggis

Can we sponsor JoeG to take that photo down 😛

iolo
    Free Member

It might be an idea to say who you are collecting for.

molgrips
    Free Member

Forgot to add – collecting for Cancer Research UK, because, well, cancer.

bearnecessities

Passat owner’s club.

Edit: Now I look like a bastard.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I was going to say OK, 10p per minute under the 5h30m but I have carefully examined the photo above and will up that to 20p 🙂

Email in profile should I miss the result being posted up, don’t be shy to give me a reminder.

bearnecessities

Problem is (and full marks for imagination), but what happens if you don’t get under your target?

No money! (Edit: Aside from random acts of generosity after the event as mentioned, but where’s your motivation in that, needed when you want to die after 4 hours)

How about a flat amount, to be doubled if you get under 5:30?

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks, you’re the first 🙂

what happens if you don’t get under your target?

I’d hope that the players of this game would not be so stingy and just chuck in a fiver, a tenner, whatever anyway. This is just a bit of fun after all.

footflaps

Passat owner’s club.

🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m in. 10p per minute.

I’ll email you so you’ve got my details to claim your prize.

nickc

me too, 10p a minute seems a great target, well done Molly. 8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

30p a minute. Good luck. e-mail me if I forget to check the thread on completion

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks folks, I appreciate it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bump for evening…?

kayla1
    Free Member

Yep. Count us in. 15p per minute.

edit- my email’s in my profile.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just giving page:

https://www.justgiving.com/molgrips

Captain America short sleeved jersery hasn’t come 🙁

Rubber_Buccaneer

Five hours and five minutes? Pretty good time if I have the right one.

nickc

D’you know your time yet Mols?

molgrips
    Free Member

Total time on Strava was 5.03.36. Curious what my moving time was, cos there was 5 or more minutes for stoppage, and getting in and out of the feed stations was time consuming too!

bearnecessities

Ah, well done you. Times are hard but I’ll scrabble a fiver together.

taxi25
    Free Member

http://www.velothon-wales.co.uk/en/results/2015-results/see-your-finish-time/
    Put your name or number in and you’ll get your official time.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ive paid up on your just giving page. You had better have been wearing some of that captain America gear or I want my money back 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

It was too hot for the long sleeved jersey, the short sleeved one didn’t turn up!

Defender
    Free Member

Well done, a good cause and worthy reason, donation made :D.

scaredypants

Tenner – but only if you post up a picture of you doing a wheelie in full captain america outfit

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll take one later if you like 🙂

Thanks folks 🙂

bearnecessities

Bump for those that may have forgotten/missed the update.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks BN.

jimmy

Forgot to add – collecting for Cancer Research UK, because, well, cancer.

Count me in. I’m also thinking of challenges for next year, to as our family is likely to be -2 by the end of this. F~~~ing… hate… cancer…

molgrips
    Free Member

Next up for me is Trans Cambrian way in a day.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sorry I’ve been a bit slow to pay up, should all be sorted now.

Once everyone paid up can you please make that picture go away? 😯

scaredypants

Sorry I’ve been a bit slow to pay up, should all be sorted now.

probably waiting for the wheelie pics, were you ?

😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

Superhero can’t wheelie shocka! 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, so 25 mins under at 30p (my commitment) is £7.50, that’s definitely not enough. Donated £25 with gift aid. Congrats.

I was at the memorial service on Monday for an ex boss who died at 57 from Cancer, horrible disease.

kayla1
    Free Member

Ten squid donatificated.

nickc

Popped a tenner in, well done Molly 😀

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Please sponsor me – let's make it interesting’ is closed to new replies.