Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Please show me your SRAM XX1 / X01 setups please
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

as above thinking of biting the bullet and getting it done, extra gear would be welcome for climbing the winter gloop, and my chain cassette and ring are in their last few weeks use i reckon so gonna run it into the ground

so please inspire me and show me your setups!

robj20
    Free Member

Here is my Nomad.

I swap between a 30t and 34t at the minute.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Very nice rob cheers, how you finding it? all good, ive never ventured over to SRAM so im hoping it will be just as nice shift as the shimano stuff

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve got the X01 on my new FS with a 34T ring up front. I’m on a X0 2×10 on my old FS and Shimano XTR 3×9 on my HT.

I think I’ve found the X01 lacking a little bit of granny with the 34T up front, and with lots of spare gears at the other end until you get onto a flat out descent. I’ll probably put a smaller ring on the front end. I say ‘think’ cus I’m still getting used to the new bike so I’m giving it some time. Doesn’t struggle at all on technical climbs, in fact it’s better, but big flat slogs of a certain gradient seem harder but that could be other factors rather than the X01. It coped fine with and rode most of the Snowdon Llanberis up on Sunday. I like the less fuss and gubins of the X01 and the quick fire shifters are really quick and responsive. Like all Sram products though it’s just a little temperamental, I’m having to tweak the cable tension and indexing after every ride.

The X0 2×10 has been a nightmare, as has getting new rings and spares for the set up. I converted a 3×10 and in the end had to change everything to get it to work properly. I even had to buy new cranks because Sram had a 6 month delivery on a separate new spider. 3 years of faffing about and fiddling it’s taken to get that bastard to work properly. Again temperamental isn’t in it, I even had to watch I didn’t over tighten the QR because the flex in the frame would mess up the indexing ! Now it all works and has settled down it’s great. Shifting is again amazingly quick and accurate. Don’t get me started on compatible chain devices though !

For reliability I can’t fault the XTR. Never had a blip out of it and the 2 way shifters are great.

Go for the X01 but make sure you get the right front ring up front depending on where most your riding is.

robj20
    Free Member

Yes cable tension is very sensitive with 11 speed its bound to be. But i wouldn’t go back to anything else now, its brilliantly simple and efficient.
    I use my 30t the most.

If you buy it from the germans you save a fortune and XX1 is the same price as X01, only part i have is an X01 shifter as it was £25 cheaper.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I concur with a lot of what excitable1 says, I too have found it a bit of a slog on some climbs and think it’s because I’m missing some mid range gears that were available on the 2 x 10. I have to spin a bit more sometimes as I’m looking for a gear ratio that’s Btw two available rear ones? I’m running a 32T up front, and that does cover the ratio extremities of my previous 2×10 set up

Not had any problems at all with indexing since the day I set the XX1 up in Feb, lovely and crisp and not lost the chain once.

1 minor ‘problem’ is due to the X teeth on the chainring and jockey wheels, they do seem to cling onto mud and trail crap more than a normal tooth so I have to employ a toothbrush to get them clean!

I also got my full groupo from Germany and saved ~£200 on UK prices 😉

gee
    Free Member

Best of all worlds… XXXTR1.

XTR m985 rear mech, chain and shifter – 100% reliable
    XX1 cranks for light weight
    XX cassette

GB

robj20
    Free Member

How is that best of both worlds its still just 10 speed. XX1 cranks aren’t even the lightest option.

nowthen
    Free Member

And you don’t have the range of XX1 either. Fail.

sbd16v
    Free Member

with pleasure

ordered from the uklast week i already had a XO crank so just ordered a ring and it came to just under 600. decided on X01 due to colour scheme tbh as from the reviews there is no real difference in performance but i thought the X01 colours would suit the bike more.

im running a 32 on the front due to me needing a granny ring still and if you work out the ratios a 32 is the closest you can get to a 22/36 2×10 with a 11-34 cassette.

i love it, it was really simple to tune one of the easiest ive ever done imo, the action is fast and clean.

i went out on it last weekend and at no point did i find myself needing more gears, if i was doing an uplift day or a day with less clibing i might go for a 34t on the front, but i never found myself wanting more than the 11/36 before so i expect a 32t will stay.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers excitable1 – im sure we conversed via email about white peak rides 😉

to be honest if your riding those rides with a 34t up front i can see it being a struggle dependant on fitness, im already and have been running 1×10 for 2 years with a 32teeth front (always) so ill be sticking with that up front and gaining at the back to make the muddy slogs a little easier, cant say as ill struggle (as i cope with 1×10 with 32 fine, its just made me stronger/faster) with a 32 but if it gets stupidly gloopy ill consider a 30t up front to accompany the 42 out back

im not getting the cranks, im sticking with shimano and running a wolftooth 32 or raceface 32 ring with X01/XX1 the rest, id prefer to keep shimano cranks, as can run my hope bb without any need for adaptors/change!

im getting it at a stonking price so no need for zee germans this time, cant wait to get it, just gotta figure out how to pay for it now :/

so keep the pics coming as i think aesthetically (including the chainset) xx1/x01 is the nicest looking groupset ever, including the dinner plate sized cassette 🙂

gee
    Free Member

Haha – fair enough. I just don’t like SRAM shifters and mechs.

What’s a lighter BB30 chainset then? One that isn’t silly money and doesn’t fall apart?

GB

NormalMan

Not mine but my dad’s* KHS (a couple of minor changes since this pic was taken too)

*Not full XX1 but not a bad bike for a 75yr old eh?!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nice not bad eh for a 75 year old, fair play to the old boy for still riding a bike like that!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Bump for the rich evening crowd 🙂

tomhoward

*watches with interest*

To those that have made the switch, do you find that you miss the ability to drop a few ratios that you get by goig from outer to inner on a 2x setup when you hit an unexpected steep bit?

luke1688

I’m considering the switch too. Currently have an XO crank so I reckon the best way to go is just get a thick/thin chain rings and XO1 shifter, mech and cassette. Should save a fair bit of cash that way

messiah
    Free Member

I love it. Perfect range for me and where I’ve ridden it so far… Munro bagging in NE Scotland and racing the Trans-Savoie.

Maintenance so far has involved greasing the clutch after it seized, but it was an easy job.

frogstomp

On my ‘Thief:

Made it through a rocky week in the Sierra Nevada mountains with Switchbacks and only dropped the chain once (and that was grounding out on a climb!).

compass81

Here’s mine

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Pic fail compass

compass81

Will try again when I work out how to do it

compass81

Hope this works

[/url]
    IMG_0066 by MikeH78, on Flickr[/img]

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

That’s worked bud, looking good looks proper smart the xx1 stuff

dirtyrider
    Free Member

chain on the first nomad looks too long?

ive got 2x XX1 setups,

28t on the Krampus, built this week, one 25 mile ride, made me think about switching the 32t on the Tallboy as i felt like a gazelle on the climbs

its been flawless, I’ve had the tallboy setup since launch, regarding cable setup, I’m on the original cable, not been touched for a year, only having trouble shifting into the 10t at the moment because i bent the mech hanger,

bob_summers

I thought that too but won’t the chain grow (if that’s the right expression) when the bike’s sat on?

Any twist shifter for 11spd yet?

stewartc
    Free Member

Currently alternating between 30t and 32t at the front as i am not 100% sure at the moment which is better for my day to day riding.
    Currently experiencing some chain issues which may be related to its length, hope to resolve that soon but otherwise impressed with it, and despite living in an area where there are some very seep climbing required I have not really found I missed the granny gear provided by my earlier 2×10 XT setup (which was also very good).

Have thrown a chain a couple of time so have invested in an MRP AMG top chain guide and BB bash which seems to do a good job on the rocky trails I ride.

Bought one of those combined bracket mounts just to keep the XT brakes and XX1 shifter nice and neat on the handlebar.

Happy so far bar a few chain breaks I have experienced which I believe is related to my chain length, though it could be cheaper.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

stewart… where did you get that bracket mount? do you have a link?

here’s mine btw (i need little encouragement):

Big Top XX1 – fin by Rob_G_Clarkson, on Flickr

stewartc
    Free Member

Hi Rob, try this…Problem Solver Bracket Mount

Apart from restricting how you position the levers its a very simple solution and keeps the handlebar clutter free.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

cheers man 8)

robj20
    Free Member

Works fine still a links worth of capacity. Gives the option of a 34t and if it snaps it still plenty long enough.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

stewartc – interesting, where is the rocky terrain you have dropped on? ive dropped the chain once on my 1×10 setup (i think my raceface narrow wide ring is starting to wear after 5 months use), and also my clutch mech needed adjusting too, thats ridden pretty hard in the peak district

surprised to see yours has dropped enough to put a guide on, could it possibly be to with your chain length? as you stated you’ve had issues with it?

i’ve felt the taughtness’ of the xx1 chains when set up right and they seem stiffer and by the eye look like they have less chance of derailing than the shimano 1x setups

lovely looking bike mind!

messiah
    Free Member

I was very surprised initially that my XX1 never dropped a chain considering where and how I ride. What might lead to problems with chain droppage is a stiff freewheel… when not running a clutch rear mech this was frequently an issue for me and one reason why I lube my Hope freewheel with oil to make sure it is extremely free-to-freewheel. If your clutch/wide/narrow set up is dropping the chain I would look at the freewheel as a possible cause.

One thing to consider with wide/narrow is that the chainring tends to build up a layer of crud which is best removed… and not having a top chainguide makes cleaning it a much simpler task.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

like i said ive had no issues with a raceface narrow/wide and clutch mech with NO guides at all

i literally dropped the chain once last week, it was coming down some fastish rocky slabs and when i got to the bottom the tension on my clutch mech wasnt as stiff as it was when new, so i adjusted that and its been fine since, also the RF ring is 5 months old too so had a lot of use and wear dropping the chain once in 5 months is pretty good i’d say for where i ride

as messiah says, cleaning the chainring is the key i think after a ride, which i do all the time as the build up of gunk/mud/grit could elevate the chain slightly

the clutch mech on the xx1 stuff and the way the jockey wheels are designed would make me think the xx1 stuff would be better not worse at holding the chain

stewartc
    Free Member

I was looking for a bash guard for the chainring anyway since some of my trails have a lot of sections were you have to roll over rocks meaning the BB and chainring make contact with planet earth very often so the MRP AMG guide/guard seemed perfect, no dropped chains since so I can assume its doing its job.
    Current thoughts about snapping chain links, I have now broken 4 in a few months (riding 15-30km x 2 a week), is the chain length when the the rear suspension is fully compressed is not long enough, going to look at this soon and adjust accordingly to see if that’s the case.
    I would like to put this down to being a gnarr rider and always taking it to the max, but even I don’t believe that!

Despite these little teething problems I don’t regret the putting XX1 on my bike, just the price.

messiah
    Free Member

I use the chain as a bashguard to protect the teeth :mrgreen:

ChrisI

Here’s mine 😀

Still perplexed by the SB66 and chain growth issues, there cant be many things causing it, it should be quite simple to site down and work out. No problems where hammering it down the Beast in the Peaks and rather flat Swinley.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

chris thats proper nice!

cant wait to try it out the xx1, very similar to stewartc’s yet hes having trouble with snappage of chains, guessing thats whom your referring to?

matt23
    Free Member

First ride yesterday – White’s Level 2 laps – with XO1 and XO Trail brakes on my TRc – exceptional didn’t skip a beat. If anybody has ridden Whyte’s you know how muddy it is at the top of the climb but the transmission was flawless – the jockey wheels do collect a lot of crud – due to the size of them. It was a delight riding around with a quiet bike while all my mates with top guides were grinding chains through mud and leaves 🙂

Pic up later and yes I made sure I cleaned everything to make sure the cassette lasts as long as possible!!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ooooohhh look forward to seeing it matt – do make sure you update with a pic later ta

glad to hear its working well!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Please show me your SRAM XX1 / X01 setups please’ is closed to new replies.