Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Please Recommend Me Some Savoury Foods On A Road Ride
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

I am sick of eating cakes at the cafe and am also sick of my energy levels dipping and praying for the cafe stop. Anyone care to recommend me some savoury, but healthy food I can carry in a sandwich bag in a jersey pocket please? It needs to be convenient to eat as well.

I used to carry Bloks for this purpose, but eating the same flavoured, textured food can only be done for so long.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Scotch egg ….one of my favourates

MrSmith
    Free Member

Croissants with either thin slices of cheese or jam, squash them flat so the take up little space in your jersey (in cling film) I only use them for long 100mile plus rides where you can have too much of energy bars etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    curiousyellow
    Free Member

Something healthy mate. I do like them though. Don’t taste the same without hot sauce. Would be a bit tough to carry that too and eat it on the go.

piemonster

Pork pie

rOcKeTdOg

ham sarnies (or cheese, but less healthy) use nice breat, plenty of pepper etc to taste, wrap in foil, ideal for back pocket etc, back in the day musettes used to be full of them or similar

djglover
    Free Member

Veg Samosa

I do get a bit bored of Soreen and Jelly Babies though.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Peanuts carbs, protein and a bit of salt.

I took dried fruit today instead if energy bars/gel. In a small bag were 6/7 dried figs, they tasted great no heartburn/dodgy stomach and healthy. Get down to your ‘elf food shop and check it out.

Trail mix is also very good as are rice cakes, plain or flavoured ones.

Peanut butter on a roll, take a bite when you feel like it.

ton

olives in a ziploc back
    portion of chorizo

eyerideit
    Free Member

I was going to suggest dried/cured meat, but though it might be a bit weird. Not many carbs though.

If i was packing meat, Pastrami would be my meat of choice.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Balls! Double post

paulo123
    Free Member

Oat Cakes? Maybe a bit dry though.

jonba
    Free Member

liver energy gels.

wolly
    Free Member

Cous Cous or pasta in a Tupperware

eyerideit
    Free Member

Oatcakes is a good suggestion.

sherry
    Free Member

Soreen loaf with a small amount of butter or nutella. Flap jacks or pick n mix nuts. Emergency haribos/jelly babies for the bonk.

lucien

One of the energy bar makers do one that’s salt / Pretzel flavour, just trying to remember which one

edhornby

I wouldn’t want to eat a big chunk of meat on a ride, surely the low GI carbs are the things you are looking for, and a good old brown bread sandwich is yer winner, or a wholewheat savoury flapjack if you are feeling kitchen creative

Protein comes back into play after the ride

spursn17
    Free Member

I don’t like sweet stuff either and have been thinking of taking baby food out with me. You can get it in gel type packs, they’re not the really smooth ones and have a bit of texture.

Has anyone else tried these?

lazybike
    Free Member

Sausage rolls for me…..

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Baby food sounds disgusting. Sorry 🙁

Hmmm…sausage rolls. But won’t they be prone to getting soggy? Brown bread sandwich with some cream cheese or crackers with some spread perhaps. Some good ideas in here. Keep them coming folks!

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Maybe you could look at what you’re drinking too? There was something on the telley recently which suggested that milk was a better energy/recovery drink than lucozade etc? I haven’t tried, tested or done any research myself but you could give it a go?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The team garmin chef has some videos on youtube about easy race food – rice cakes and things like that. The most popular one amongst their riders is really easy to make as well its just a boiled potato rolled in parmesan and salt

jota180
    Free Member

One of the energy bar makers do one that’s salt / Pretzel flavour, just trying to remember which one

Powerbar – sweet and salty pretzel

Peperami are quite good for a savoury hit on long rides, I also take a couple of those individual cheeses you can get, mature Cheddar is a favourite

lazybike
    Free Member

But won’t they be prone to getting soggy?

saves energy…not having to chew, decent rolls and sandwich bag, they can get a bit sqashed, doesn’t effect the taste though.

MrOvershoot

We used to call the jumbo sausage roll a pork powerbar 😉

Kuco

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UiuqIWGe_s[/video]

oldgit
    Free Member

I had a phase of eating boiled potatoes in yoghurt and chives. Also Peperami sticks and cold fried egg sandwiches. I might have been pregnant?

Just have plenty of food before the off now.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I had a phase of eating boiled potatoes in yoghurt and chives. Also Peperami sticks and cold fried egg sandwiches. I might have been pregnant?

😯 Bet you had very messy back pockets.

BTW how did you manage to eat a friend egg butty on the move?

oldgit
    Free Member

Just took it out of the bag and ate it. Bit like a savoury bread pudding.

vincienup
    Free Member

Is Parkin ‘sweet’? It’s cake but not overly sugary. Should be quite dense energy wise.

I think your real problem here is focussing on ‘healthy’ in couch potato terms without considering slowburn/rapid access and impact on stomach/digestibility.

I know at least one Audaxer that swears by sausage rolls and pies as he can get them pretty much anywhere (unlike Tech options) and he’s consuming calories with the intention of burning them…

mattsccm
    Free Member

Weird ideas of savoury here.to me that can only be achieved with a meat/cheese type taste.Bread won’t count by itself.
    Try a sarny.Carbs for energy. Meat/cheese to taste real.
    Ignore healthy crap, its only for a ride, not your whole life.

DrP

Salt and oil potato FTW….

DrP

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Alright, I think those rice cakes need to be made toot sweet!

Sam

Salt peanuts salt peanuts

I like em with some sultanas

pepperami is also not bad, shame it is such shit salami… I wish it were possible to buy decent salami in a similar form.

drain

Another vote for the peanut butter sarnie. Felafels in a pitta pocket also lovely. Cold pizza is fab!

chief9000
    Free Member

You should also think about what you are eating before the ride.

How long is your typical ride?
    At what point do you feel energy dipping?
    What are you doing for hydration?

stufive
    Free Member

Plain bagel with ham or I like to put jam in them, cut it up into little bits and wrap in foil, a good carb drink is my main souce of energy when riding i find eating bloats me and makes me feel heavy

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@chief9000

Usually eat a bowl of cereal with skimmed milk, a couple of slices of toast (white bread) with peanut butter and jam or cream cheese spread on it. They’re not huge slices though. Probably about the size of a normal slice of bread. I have a cup of tea or coffee before too.

– Typical ride is between 80-120km. Longer in the “summer” if it ever gets here.
    – Feel the energy start to go at the 30km mark. The hunger kicks in around 50km, but I think that is too late to be feeding.
    – Hydration, water. I carry two 500ml bottles and drink a pint before we start.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Please Recommend Me Some Savoury Foods On A Road Ride’ is closed to new replies.