Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Please recommend me a Minion for a week in Andorra
  • Lakes_Puma

or

or

If the latter, which option for general all mountain duties, I’m on some guided days so there will be a mix of climbing as well as bike park type stuff.

I also don’t want to have the trip interrupted by tire wall failure etc so am looking for a fit and forget option.

so 3c 42a 60a, dual ply single ply EXO, 2.35 2.5 2.7!

I’ll be running tubeless on Flow rims but will carry spare DH tubes.

Northwind

IMO 2.5… 3C or 42a not 60. All the sidewalls are reasonably durable and ime all will generally go up tubeless. UST might make sense, never normally does.

Think I would do this one but it will be heavy and quite hard work.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxxis-minion-dhf-front-mtb-tyre-ust/rp-prod9413?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gclid=COXHhoaNxL0CFWbLtAodP08A9A&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you want lighter or faster, then the best Minion is a Butcher! Butcher SX, lacks the outright stick of a supertacky or the toughness of a dualply but is a good balanced tyre, 2.3 is the same size as a minion 2.5. Not officially tubeless ready but acts like it is.

Lakes_Puma

thanks for your suggestions Northwind, I’ll take a look

rocketman
    Free Member

60a is not too bad on the front when combined with something like an Ardent on the rear. There’s a lack of ultimate grip compared to a 42 but it rolls along quite nicely. The folding non-EXO version is (relatively) light as well.

The 42 is proper grippy but it’s hard work against gravity or on hardpack and smooth surfaces. Works well as a front with a 60a on the rear for maximum gnar-tech

3C hmmm not too sure about that one esp on the front. The turn-in feels slightly unpredictable as the different compounds take effect. A bit like an original HR fine when you know about it but a little disconcerting at first.

As above the 2.5 is the size of choice. Kind of tall like a real 2.5 but relatively narrow more like a 2.3.

But the Butcher trumps them all. All the advantages of a Minion without any of the disadvantages and cheap as well.

Northwind

Butcher DH is good too fwiw… But more expensive than some of the Minion options so not such an easy sell.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

2.5 42a DHF single ply soulld be enough on the front (or a dual ply if you want bombproof)

2.35 or 2.5 60A DHF dual ply on the rear.

tomaso
    Free Member

If you don’t want tyre wall failures or punctures then dual ply is the best insurance.

60a is a goosd compromise between grip wear speed and price.

3C is luxury of grip and speed.

42a is OK for gravity but will punish tired legs with a sticky soft dragging feel.

2.5 is best for front and 2.3t for rear. Or the new DHR 2 is good for the back

tomaso
    Free Member

On one have them for 19.99

Northwind

Oh, sorry, I saw “a minion” and just assumed front only. I should add then, 60a for the back. Even doing full uplift with 2 supertackies can be pretty miserable with the added effort just to maintain speed. Might be worthwhile on the daftest of tracks but not suitable for this imo.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I remember Teetosugars, with 2.5 Minion supertackies, on the last 2 slightly downhill road miles of a ride having to pedal like a loon to keep up with the rest of us freewheeling.

Was a very warm day too so the roads were steaming hot.

It sounded like someone peeling velcro for the whole 2 miles.

The Minion 2.3 tlr exo looks good from nextdaytyres, the 3c is dear but the 60a for the back is relatively cheap. Seems about the same size as the old 2.5, tubeless ready, lighter than a dual ply but seems to be a thicker sidewall than a normal exo.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I have a 2.3 DHf 60a and it’s shockingly tacky compared to the 60a High Roller it replaced.

As I’ve said, I’m interested in the 42a to see if I can ride on the ceiling.

Edit: 60a High Roller 2.35 Exxo blah blah on the back now.

So, that.

sambuka
    Free Member

how can I tell whether this tyre is the old 2.5 or the new width 2.5?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/maxxis/minion-dhf-exo-250-folding-tyre-ec057267#features

is this kevlar? i have never found buying something so confusing as trying to buy tyres online! Particularly Minions.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I stand to be corrected but I don’t think there is a new width 2.5 Minion.

My understanding is that there’s an old width 2.35 which is the smallest, then the new 2.3 which is bigger, then the old 2.5 which is a touch bigger again.

The advantage of the new 2.3 is it’s tubeless ready rather than ghetto.

I have a new 2.3 on a Bontrager tubeless rim that’s gone up and held it’s pressure without sealant for 3 weeks so pretty well constructed.

sambuka
    Free Member

Thanks

And is Kevlar, just a reference to folding tyre ?

Northwind

Basically every time Maxxis try to fix their ridiculous sizing, they end up making it worse. It’s an immutable law of nature.

docrobster
    Free Member

Recently got a 2.5 42a ust minion dhf for £28 from on one. All good so far.
    2bliss butcher was also on the short list but not in stock locally.

Northwind

2bliss Butcher not right for this, I rate ’em but they’re not designed to be particularily tough, there’s other models for that.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Oooooooh

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Please recommend me a Minion for a week in Andorra’ is closed to new replies.