Please recomend to me a multi-tool

Home Forum Bike Forum Please recomend to me a multi-tool

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Please recomend to me a multi-tool
  • andrewh

Hello.
    I need a new multitool.
    It must have a chain tool, a spoke key, the usual collection of allen keys, ideally a phillips and flat scewdriver and (this is the tricky bit!) both a T15 and T20 torx bit. Any suggestions?
    I’m having to carry two tools at present, a multitool and a heavy workshop T20. THe only one I have found with both a T15 and T20 which would do away with that ddn’t have a chain tool so I would still have to carry two tools. Please help!
    PS For real moon on a stick-ness I really like those stainless steel Leyzene ones, something like that would be great, I’d like to avoid anything with plastic bits if possible. Cost no object (well, within reason, having one specially made could get pricey)

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Topeak Hexus has them all except the T20 & T15.
    What are they for ?
    (Brake disc bolts are T25…)

andrewh

Actually, that’s what I have at present! Unfortunately I can’t find a way of getting a T20 onto it. Their T15 is a neat solution but they don’t do a similar T20 bit unfortunately. Are there any with the socket-type end thing which I could just put a my worksop torx bits into?

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

You can get a 1/4″ hex drive x 1/4″ hex socket (try EBay) that std Torx bits will go in to but it would be a sloppy fit on the 6mm hex key. I’ve had an old Topeak Hummer (old Hexus IIRC), for years & its built countless bikes.

Premier Icon jsync
    Subscriber

How about this with a couple of extra bits?

rocket ratchet

andrewh

Brillient jsync. Do you know if the ratchet will fit a T20 like this? If so, problem solved! Could save a bit of weight by ditching the tyre levers and sticking with my Pedros ones, they are excellent BTW, can’t recomend them highly enough.

aphex_2k

How about treating yourself to a Leatherman, with a bit extender and a few carefully selected bits? Coupled with a decent chain splitter you can’t go wrong.

Crank Brothers Pica+ for no other reason than it looks lovely. Touch pricey though.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

I’ve got a Topeak rocket ratchet. Its a very handy little tool. It takes standard 1/4″ bits so you can add whatever you like to it.

I actually use it for most maintenance jobs on the bike that don’t need lots of force

kamenev

If you don’t need the tyre lever or chain tool then Merlin Cycles sell the “Lite” version for £15.99 and then take a further 10% off. I’ve just ordered one today!

I agree about carrying more than one tool! The ratchet rocket is ideal because it means you don’t need to carry around allen keys for those difficult to reach jobs!

Premier Icon jsync
    Subscriber

Yep the rocket ratchet is great, it takes standard bits and is well made and easy to use. I can’t get on with the all in one multitools that are awkward to use. Makes you feel like a giant too 🙂

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Out of interest, what’s the T15 for?

andrewh

Cheers guys.
    The T15 is for the brake pad retaining bolt on a Formula R1, have a set on both race bikes. It is a very funny bolt, threaded a little way at the top and smooth at the bottom, my first idea was just to swap them out for allen ones but this has proved to be impossible. I was carry a large workshop tool just for pad changing duties, adds unnecessary weight at events like keilder, less of an issue at a normal race where I can just change them at the end of a lap if required.
    That Rocket Ratchet looks like just the job, must be new, I was talking to the bloke from Topeak about this very problem at the end of last year and he never mentioned it. Only problem with it I can see is that it is a bit heavy, but I can ditch the tyre levers and box to save a bit of weight. I will swap the T25 for a T20, and add a T15 and 8mm hex, then job done. Actually, I’ve got an 8mm bit which fits over the 5mm from my current tool, so can use that without adding much weight.
    Thanks for your help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Please recomend to me a multi-tool’ is closed to new replies.