• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Please recomend to me a gas stove
  • andrewh
    Free Member

of the cmaping variety, not a cooker for the house.
    It must have two rings, run off a separate cylinder like a small MSR-style one, not a huge calor gas type one, conected by a pipe not a screw-in cyclinder direct to the stove, and be less than 20 inches across.
    I may be typing the wrong things into google but it isn’t helping a lot.
    Cheers guys.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Those are some unusual specs… would you not be better with two separate small cannister stoves?

andrewh
    Free Member

You are a genius mark, folding stove is perfect, thanks!
    yes, lemony,it is a little odd and hence such a pain to find one. There is logic to it though. I’ve got a van whic I’m considering having reclassified as a camper. It wasn’t designed with a stove in it as I just cook outside on a normal camping stove. I therefore have very little suitable space to fit one, hence maximum dimension and small gas cylinders. The regs say it must have at least two rings and have a permenantly attached pipe. That one of mark’s might just work, if the pipe is long enough to put the cylinder where it will fit under the bed, the stove will then fold out of the side

IHN

For the record, it doesn’t need to be gas. I have a two ring alcohol stove like this:

http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/10009/TCS-Chandlery-Cook-Mate-3100-Double-Spirit-Stove.html

in my fully DVLA certified camper. Self contained, no gas bottles, and no problem with carbon monoxide poisoning…

andrewh
    Free Member

That’s a nice one IHN, but it’s a little large I’m afraid.
    it’s also £150 more than Mark’s, you van might be a little posher than mine…

chewkw
    Free Member

Good call falkirk-mark.

I like the look of this one similar to falkirk-mark’s suggestion with slight modification for larger gas use.

Details of modification here – just buying different parts that’s all.

spooky_b329

Does your van have a hookup? You can satisfy the DVLA requirements with a leccy hookup and a cheapo microwave 🙂

Gotta ask though, there is very little benefit to reclassifying, why do you want to do it? (I think the benefits run to possibly slightly more options for insuring it, and a very grey area where you may convince yourself that car speed limits apply as its no longer a commercial)

I eventually reclassified mine but that was only as it met all the requirements anyway, and had done so for the past two years.

andrewh
    Free Member

No hookup. It was conceived and built as a van with bed in it rather than a proper camper. Adding the stove is really the only modification required to have it classed as one. The main (only?) advantage is insurance. Insuring modified vehicles can be problematic, especially home-made ones, but it is much easier and a little cheaper to insure it as a camper.
    yours is nice chewkw but I don’t think the gas bottle will fit under the bed.

qwerty
    Free Member

no problem with carbon monoxide poisoning…

You sure????

Carbon monoxide is produced from the partial oxidation of carbon-containing compounds; it forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce carbon dioxide (CO 2 ), such as when operating a stove or an internal combustion engine in an enclosed space.

I reserve the right to not know what I’m talking about!

andrewh
    Free Member

Not that I don’t trust my electrical skills but it has been fitted with a combined fire/co detector.
    I think any fire can make co if it doesn’t burn fully?

IHN

You sure????

Pretty. You burn alcohol, you (pretty much) get water vapour

I reserve the right to not know what I’m talking about!

Me too 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Please recomend to me a gas stove’ is closed to new replies.