Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 782 total)
  • Please NO (closing ceremony)
  • IvanDobski
    Free Member

In many years time people will still look back and say… “to be fair the lighting was quite good”.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

No “the Orrioble oo”?

the orrible oo came through, . . .the rest was meh . . .

smiththemainman
    Free Member

BBC website it is then!! Stayed awake through that ,fell asleep for an hour watching the mtb , on the plus side no more Colin Jackson !!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FeeFoo
    Free Member

Liked the rest but, The Who, really?
    Who’s generation are they talkin’ about exactly?

aracer
    Free Member

Good to see Beckham finally got to play in the Olympics.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Think that makes it a full house with a paedo finish !!!

CHB

did I miss much in the last hour?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You missed the best bits.

There they were glittering like a diamond in a pile of dogshit.

Who should have done ‘Won’t get fooled again’ just to see the look on Seb Coo face.

Klunk
    Free Member

glad i turned over, dreadful embarrassment.

jota180
    Free Member

Well I thought it was pretty good on the whole 🙂

richmars

Surely if you liked or didn’t like it depends on your taste in music? So they couldn’t get it right for everyone.

trout
    Free Member

Best of the oldies was Freddy , It’s about time oll the old rockers were put out to grass
    they sound terrible now .and look even worse.

But what a setting and the lighting guys should get a Gold medal too

doncorleoni
    Free Member

To be honest the music was not so much the problem. I guess at 32 I was 17 years to old for some of the so called artists! I actually thought the music was ok – I like muse, elbow, kaisers and even quite partial to a bit of take that and the spice girls (waits for flaming). What I could not stand was the production and “B” movie feel to the whole thing with pointless montages and mashups. Some of it was really cringe worthy. I guess we were spoiled with the opening ceremony – that had me going wtf but by the end of it I was actually enjoying it. I think people are going to be massively split with opinions.

Houns

Thought it was rubbish…… Not a spot on the fantastic opening ceremony

Blackhound

Just got R5 on and playing a few Olympic highlights with Adele as background music. Could have missed it but did not see/hear her at either opening or closing ceremony.

As a local girl and one of GB’s main music exports of last few years was a bit surprised. Anything I don’t know?

Markie
    Free Member

As a local girl and one of GB’s main music exports of last few years was a bit surprised. Anything I don’t know?

She’s apparently due to give birth in a month or so, that may be it?

smogmonster

Blackhound, isnt Adele due to give birth any day soon? I imagine that would be why??

DrJ

21 pages of musical snobbery – the STW massive have excelled themselves this time!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Adele is heavily preggers

binners

It’s cos she’s massively preggers innit?

She would have fitted right in though, in that harmless, radio 2 friendly, music for people who buy one CD a year from Tesco sort of way

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Used to love the who, but I’m not sure how I feel about them since townshends involvement in operation ore – I know he wasn’t arrested, and it’s possible that he was telling the truth about accessing pedophilia sites ‘for research’, but for me, there’s still an element of doubt there. This is maybe a case of somebody being found guilty purely by suspicion, and I feel a little ashamed to be a part of that, but I just can’t get past that suspicion. I know he’s no Gary Glitter, but my doubts about him stopped me enjoying last nights performance.

DezB
    Free Member

It hasn’t got anything to do with the music. I can still listen to Gary Glitter songs.

BoardinBob

Musically it could have been far better, but everyone there seemed to be enjoying it and visually it was spectacular. (the models that appeared as angels behind Eric Idle were jaw dropping 😯 )

Yes, The Spice Girls, George Michael, Fatboy Slim etc are crap, but a closing ceremony filled with Radiohead, The Cure and Joy Division would have no doubt been a barrel of laughs!

Noticeable lack of Led Zep tunes which was surprising given JP popped up at Beijing, albeit murdering the tune with Leona Lewis.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Suppose it must be just me then Dez, and as I said before, he was never arrested or owt, so my doubts are maybe unfounded. This sounds a bit meh, but I just felt uncomfortable watching them. 🙄

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

On a more positive note, Mcartney didn’t show up, and Elbow, the Kaiser Cheifs and Muse were spot on.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

You are all a miserable bunch of toerags aren’t you?

I thought on the whole, that was excellent. It wasn’t supposed to be some statement of high art, it was supposed to be a good old fashioned, knees up, feel good, party, and I think they succeeded at that brilliantly. Sure – some different takes on some old classics, but for the most part pulled off with panache.

The only bit I didn’t really get was the Brazil presentation, which seemed a bit formless/aimless compared to the choreography and precision of the rest of the show. But then, I know nothing about Samba…

DrJ

You are all a miserable bunch of toerags aren’t you?

What he said – did you really expect some collection of bands with silly names that nobody has ever heard of?

binners

After 2 truly fantastic weeks, that have shown this country in a refreshing and dynamically different light, last night looked cliched, lazy, hackneyed and twee. Truly bloody Awful, to the point of being embarrassing! The whole thing looked like it’d been cobbled together by someone who’d never actually been to this country, but picked up everything they needed to know from a shop selling postcards in Camden!

matt_outandabout

On a more positive note, Mcartney didn’t show up

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cripes, how many comments!

I went to one of the CC screen showings in That Canary Wharf, took a picnic and along with about 1000 other jolly folk had a fabulous time. The general mood was one of delight and sadness, sadness that the carnival is over.
    As for the acts, well most folk around me loved One Direction and Ed Sherans cover of Floyds “wish you were here”, some fell asleep/groaned when Brian May rocked out (understandable) and thought only a few acts deserved comment. Muse were typical grungy grumpy, Elbow needed one… off the stage (a waft of melancholy descended what was up until then a jolly jumping bean of humans) Felt it nneded the Artic Monkeys again, then only when FatBoySlim came on did the party get going again and Poof, all over..

MrsBouy and I felt it a little disjointed, they could have brought some mighty fine acts on board but stuck to the tried and tested “Lympic Lane Traffic Only” road of excluding anything with vigour and vibe for a blue flashing light of “get out of my way I’m a very important person donchaknow”
    No need for John Lennon (nore the spice tarts), though thought the raised face image was a copy of that film where they find a face on Mars.. (Mission to Mars, that was it) Don’t really understand why Eric Idle was included but thought the Bangla Dancers exceptional and Darcy Bussle.. Oh yes please and many thanks for flouncing to some deep throbbing bass..we liked that.
    Wasn’t sure the Rio contingent brought much to the Party but we all have our own interpretation and feeling of what we think our own country can bring to this “Global Phenomenon” that is the Lympics.

Exceptional and heartfelt THANKS have to be overtly given to all those volunteers that have endeavoured (and brought/sought) to make our lives in That London one of painless and thoughtlessness encouragement.

I for one will miss that mood of “can do” when it all dies down and the world returns back to a solemn timbre.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We all make the games.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Speak for yourself.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You make the games too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I made Pie.

Does that count?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We all count bikebuoy.

Karinofnine

I began watching at 9pm, stopped at 9.05pm – awful, amateurish, cheesy, reminded me of Eurovision. I dropped back in at intervals through the evening but still awful – and when Russell Brand appeared… was that supposed to be singing? Terrible.

I’m sure the pyro was good but I couldn’t bear to sit through the crap.

nealglover
    Free Member

I began watching at 9pm, stopped at 9.05pm – awful, amateurish, cheesy, reminded me of Eurovision. I dropped back in at intervals through the evening but still awful – and when Russell Brand appeared… was that supposed to be singing? Terrible.
    I’m sure the pyro was good but I couldn’t bear to sit through the crap.

So essentially, what you are saying is……

“I didn’t watch it”

Blackhound

Ah, didn’t know Adele was so far gone, only heard a few weeks ago she was up-the-duff. So that explains it, thanks.

Clearly getting old, Muse was the band I thought ‘what was that all about’. Glad not 3 hours of that bollix.

A few strange choices by bands, Brian May / Queen doing something new or obscure to me and even George Michael. If he had done Freedom / Wake Me Up Before You Go GO it could have been fun and everybody would have known it. But he played something else. New? B-side?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

God only knows what the rest of the world made of an exploding yellow three wheel car out of which fell batman and robin.

zippykona

What effs me off is that the very first thing any organiser must think is “how do we fit Annie Lennox in”?
    Who does this bloody woman know and how much dirt must she have on them?

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 782 total)

The topic ‘Please NO (closing ceremony)’ is closed to new replies.