Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Please help.. stem length, bar rise, general bike fit nonsense…Aaahhh!!!!
  • bigalid

I have a 2021 Ragley Mmmbop that I built up from a frame, with a 160mm pike.

It’s great when going downhill, it’s great when going uphill,
    The problem I have is when its bimbling along the canals on level terrain for any length of time.

With the seat up at optimum pedalling height, it feels like I’m going to fall over the bars at any moment, and I’m having problems with the ulnar nerves in my hands

I’ve tried moving the seat back and forward, and have fitted higher rise bars, but has made little to no difference.

Its currently got a DMR Defy 35 stem on, it’s super short and has a really low stack height, allowing be to run more spacers under the stem.

But am I going about it wrong, should I be looking at a longer stem, even if the stack height will be lower?

I’ve googled the hell out of it, and only got myself more confused that I was originally.

Am I just going to have to order every stem, and handlebar on CRC and try them all?

Help!

thols2

I’ve never got on with really short stems. Try a cheap 50 mm or 60 mm stem, preferably one with a decent amount of rise and see how it goes. You really just have to try different setups to find what works for you.

zerocool

Chunkier or softer grips? Once not tried them but people often say Ergon grips help. A set of bars with more layback? Andrew Major (I think) at NSMB reviewed some with more than usual and liked them for improved comfort.

honourablegeorge

What size is the bike, and what height are you? It’s quote a long, slack frame, and you have over forked it somewhat, hard to understand why you’d be finding the front end low

kayla1
    Free Member

I (finally! 🙄) stuck a 60mm jobbie on my mk1 Switchback- much more comfy and feels nicer to ride too. I messed about with 35mm and 45mm long stems with a variety of different rise and width bars and found an old 10° rise 60mm stem off a bike I had ages ago and gave that a go… what a difference. Turns out I need a bit more room than the Switchback can give me so I’m looking for a longer frame, if anyone’s got a mk1 BFe275 in medium I’d be interested 😁

bigalid

Thanks for all your replies.
    I think I’m getting somewhere with this now.

The frame is a XL size, 480mm reach.
    And I am 6ft2″ with a build like a badly shaved gorilla.

I’ve ordered several different stems and handlebars from CRC, (what did we ever do before free delivery and free returns?)

I’ve been using Ergon GE1 grips previously, but have ordered a set of the GA3 grips with the little wings on to try.

If I fit a longer stem, with higher rise bars, even though the stack height will be lower, the bars will essentially be a similar height off the ground but further forward?

It feels at the moment like the bars are tucked under me, when in reality they are way out in front???

dawson

Have you tried changing the angle of your saddle? If it is tipping you forward, that will increase the pressure on your hands.

ayjaydoubleyou

Have you tried changing the angle of your saddle? If it is tipping you forward, that will increase the pressure on your hands.

good point – with a big fork, setting up level when unloaded could give you a bit of a forward tilt when sagged.

bentudder

A a wider bar will have the effect of a longer stem in terms of torso position. Maybe try and figure out where your weight distribution is on the flat bits, because it sounds (and that’s without seeing you on the bike) like you’re putting a lot of weight through your hands, but all the other things (overforked, short stem, riser bar) suggest that your weight distribution should be more biased towards the back of the bike. That said, I’m a 5’6″ shortarse, and a slammed short stem with zero rise bars is about the right position for me on my hardtail. another issue may be core strength; if you’re supporting your weight from the waist up with your hands, then a few core strength exercises will allow your core to take more of the weight of your torso and arms / noggin.

Aside from all the good advice from posters above, have you also looked at rotating the bars to put the sweep more in line with your arm / hand sweep? Basically, your arms pivot in an arc from your shoulders, so think in terms of where that arc is when you’re sitting on the bars; it should be an arc with the central point between your shoulder blades. If the bars are tilted forward or back from that arc, then you may find you’re dropping or forward rotating your wrists when riding on flat ground, and that could be causing the discomfort.

Problem is, that’s one of multiple potential causes; you’d be well served to try one tweak at a time. But maybe ride on a bit of flat ground seated in the saddle and try and figure out if your hands, arms and shoulders are in a relaxed position as if you were sitting up on the sofa on a comfy night in. If they aren’t then that’s what you need to look at fiddling with.

wheelie

I found that when I reframed a bike recently on flat riding I was weighting up my hands. Modern steeper seat angles mean that when flat riding you don’t balance your weight as well on the pedals. I was pertching on saddle, so dropped saddle 20mm. Then raised it a bit so now around 10mm lower than original height. I lost the excess weight on hands and allows me to spin at around 90 to 100 rpm. I’m over 70

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Please help.. stem length, bar rise, general bike fit nonsense…Aaahhh!!!!’ is closed to new replies.