• This topic has 67 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by myti.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Please help me persuade my husband we should buy a Weber BBQ
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I’d get a mastertouch if I were buying now. It has the gourmet system which allows you to buy stuff like pizza cooking stones and other stuffs.

bigblackshed

ChrisHeath – Member
    Feature wise, the lid holder on the Master Touch is far better than the hook you hang your lid off on the Premium.

What he said. Also the compact is too small height wise to get a chicken stood up, so no beer can chicken on there.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh, and I have some BBQ books saved electronically (good ones). I think (have to check) I could put them on a cloud thingy if anyone is interested?
    Mail in profile. If there’s interest, I’ll set up a sharing thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TooTall
    Free Member

Heh. Fashion is a wonderful thing. I live in the land of the Weber and I don’t know anyone that owns one.
    If you want the macho crap that goes with the stw lifestyle, don’t get a gas bbq. If you want ease of use, less mess and plan to use it as a more regular option to cook food (especially for less than a party), get gas.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Get a Weber and do some pork ribs or brisket like this, (which you can’t do on gas) gas is only slightly easier if you get a starting chimney and doesn’t reach the same temps for charring etc..

Mines coming up for 6 years old now out in all weathers, no cover and it’s still fine.

wrecker
    Free Member

I live in the land of the Weber and I don’t know anyone that owns one.

Well plenty do.
    http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130720/ISSUE10/307209979/webers-bbq-secret-quality-sells

Market researcher Euromonitor International estimates the Palatine-based company accounted for 35 percent of U.S. retailers’ $2.5 billion in grill sales last year. Weber’s closest competitor has less than half its market share

Perhaps you just don’t know very many people?

thedude
    Free Member

I can’t stop my father using his when I visit in South Africa.

TooTall
    Free Member

The word ‘estimates’ somewhat devalues that ‘statistic’.

Weber also make gas bbqs and sell a lot of them. I seem to know people who would rather cook and eat than wait first.

Amazon US current best sellers:
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Patio-Lawn-Garden-Freestanding-Grills/zgbs/lawn-garden/3480667011/ref=zg_bs_nav_lg_4_3480665011

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you want ease of use, less mess and plan to use it as a more regular option to cook food (especially for less than a party), get gas.

TooTall – post reported for excessive correctness (very un-stw 😉 )

wrecker
    Free Member

The word ‘estimates’ somewhat devalues that ‘statistic’.

Yes, I’m sure you know better. As usual. 🙄

TooTall
    Free Member

You really don’t like your macho posturing challenged with either facts or common sense do you? There is a place for charcoal grilling, but for most people, life is just too short and they have a lot of other things to do.

I was going to point out on the other thread that competition grilling is a totally different world to back yard bbqs, but then noticed it was yours too so I left that one alone. See – I do care.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You really don’t like your macho posturing challenged with either facts or common sense do you? There is a place for charcoal grilling, but for most people, life is just too short and they have a lot of other things to do.

So how do your summer parties work – an extension lead and a microwave? No wonder people who know you hide their barbeques when they see you coming.

TooTall
    Free Member

So how do your summer parties work – an extension lead and a microwave?

Got my gas grill on the deck at the back of the house. Just like most people around here. I tend to grill a couple of times a week from this week until late September so it gets used a lot.

wrecker
    Free Member

You really don’t like your macho posturing challenged with either facts or common sense do you?

Macho posturing? 😆 Saying it again doesn’t make it true.
    You have provided neither facts, and certainly not common sense, just you usual superior, dour, sneering dismissiveness (“you’re all idiots and I know better”) to an otherwise nice thread (and then accuse others of being too “STW”!). Thanks for that.

NZCol

I have 3 Webers – a gas one for convenience, a charcoal 57cm for when we have a bit more time and a go-anywhere for the campervan. All do great things in different ways.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Got my gas grill on the deck at the back of the house

Why?

for most people, life is just too short and they have a lot of other things to do.

Apparently in your world it’s all about speed and convenience = a microwave and couple of Tesco ready meals and the jobs done? So cook in the kitchen and carry outside is they way to go, save all that fannying with a gas thingumy as well. Unless you’re talking shiyte, which you probably are.
    In my world, and I suspect most other people’s, life isn’t too short to enjoy yourself, and i enjoy cooking over coals. Several times a week if the weather’s up to it.

wallop

I won.

After a couple of days wondering whether to go charcoal or gas, we’re going charcoal. Master Touch.

So, according to you lot I need:

BBQ
    Aussie heat beads
    Black premium cover
    Wrecker’s BBQ cookbook

Anything else!?

andyl
    Free Member

Got my gas grill on the deck at the back of the house

Why?

Because you hide the girly gas one round the back while real men sit out on the front porch with a fat steak on their charcoal BBQ and a 6 pack in the beer cooler 😀

Dai
    Free Member

NZCol – Member
    I have 3 Webers – a gas one for convenience, a charcoal 57cm for when we have a bit more time and a go-anywhere for the campervan. All do great things in different ways.

How do you find the go anywhere Col? Really close to getting one for this summer and it won’t take up too much room when we move to Oz in August.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Real Men this, Real Men that…

Real men make their own cooking equipment. Do it right* or not at all.

[img]http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1355161742/484/8062484.jpg[/img]

*angle grinder and/or gas axe plus welder mandatory

bigblackshed

wallop – Member
    I won.

After a couple of days wondering whether to go charcoal or gas, we’re going charcoal. Master Touch.

So, according to you lot I need:

BBQ
    Aussie heat beads
    Black premium cover
    Wrecker’s BBQ cookbook

Anything else!?

Chimney starter.
    Couple of good quaility fish slices / tongs / a pair of tongs for moving coals around / a pair of welders gauntlets (Screwfix).
    Lumpwood charcoal. I find a mix of lumpwood and briquettes gives better results.
    Meat thermometer.
    Weber Cookbook

chewkw
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member
    Real men make their own cooking equipment. Do it right* or not at all.

squirrelking wins with his DIY cooking equipment. I like! Very manly.

You need ventilation and ash removal duct somewhere in that DIY BBQ unit.

😀

edit: that Polynesian ground cooking should be whole pig rather than tin foil wrapped. 😛

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not mine sadly 😳 but I do plan on having one (plus matching smoker).

chiefgrooveguru

Get a Weber and do some pork ribs or brisket like this, (which you can’t do on gas)

I got the Pitt Cue BBQ book Xmas before last and as I already had an old gas barbecue I tried doing slow cooked smoked brisket and pork on it. Burners on low on one side, off on the other. Tray of water and smoking wood (bits off my apple tree or walnut worktop offcuts) on the hot side, meat on the cold side. Sugar thermometer stuck through a hole in the lip to monitor the cooking temperature. Cooked it for 6-8 hours.

Succeeded in making both awesome pulled pork and smoked brisket. The latter was some of the best meat I’ve ever eaten. So you can do it on gas – you just need to find a way to get the smoke happening and with either method you need to have good rubs and/or sauces.

I’d like to get into proper charcoal barbecuing but I’m generally very short of time and I don’t want to spend a bunch of money on something I might not use so much. Putting effort into good food is always worth it – I started curing my own ham a few months back and I’ve done three so far (not whole legs!) and they’ve been fantastic.

Top tip – find a proper local butcher and get to know them! I’ve had some fantastic meat from mine. If you fancy steak, get some well aged picanha (rump cap), cook it whole and then slice and quickly sear the sides.

wrecker
    Free Member

That pitt cue book is awesome!
    I have all of ingredients to make some BBQ sauce but haven’t had the time as yet.
    I’ve put some books (not pitt cue) in a dropbox folder, let me know if you want the share (mail in profile).

chiefgrooveguru

I have all of ingredients to make some BBQ sauce but haven’t had the time as yet.

Does that have the ‘mother sauce’ in it? I need to build an extension to give me enough space for a big enough fridge for all the sauces and marinades for that book (I am actually planning this…)

wrecker
    Free Member

No mother sauce, but it does need chipotle ketchup so I need to make that first. Chipotle peppers aren’t easy to come by though….

myti
    Free Member

I have the smallest Weber and a larger cheap b and q one and much prefer the Weber.

Can you do a whole chicken or a slow cooked joint in the small Weber?

Chief let me know what butcher you use next time I see you as I plan on doing a lot of bbqing this summer! Homemade bbq sauce is next on the to do list!

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Please help me persuade my husband we should buy a Weber BBQ’ is closed to new replies.