Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Please help me finish this Highland Coast to Coast route :-)
  • Premier Icon pedalhead
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m revisiting a Highland C2C route that I planned and rode a couple of years ago. As a non-local (I live near Oxford), I was very reliant on local advice when originally putting the route together. It was all (mostly) ok until about 30 miles to go when the “track” marked on my 50k mapping disappeared into a bog (good old Ordinance Survey, the track isn’t there on the 25k maps I now have…lesson learned there).

I’d like to complete the route and may have the opportunity to ride the remaining ~30 miles as I’ll be in Scotland next month for a few days. With that in mind, I’m hoping that I can get some knowledgeable local advice on suitable trails to make up the final stretch to Stonehaven (which seems so much nicer than the traditional Montrose finish).

I’ve created a google map showing this section of the the route as I originally planned it. When I rode it (west to east), on reaching the orange marker the trail disappeared and lack of visibility (and a barbed wire fence) prevented me from looking into a decent alternative. In the end I turned back and mostly followed roads to Stonehaven. An aerial view of the route on google maps suggests that a decent track may start again around where I’ve placed the green marker.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zB8c6M2JHoxw.kok1ThOvcXak

I’d be really grateful for any local advice on a suitable alternative to that first section, and also if the rest of the route through the forest is do-able. I can also provide a GPX of the section if that helps.

Cheers! Mark.

Premier Icon skindog
    Free Member

I think the problem is that where you turned off the landrover track, that footpath is not really there or boggy.

It’s not a highland trip without some bike hiking. So I would recommend that you contine on that landrover track a little further and then just hike down the 0.5km to the start of the next section.

The landrover tracks around Glen Dye are really well maintained so I think you’ll be sailing from then on.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Its a hikabike over stobie hillock for a couple k , single dotted line as shown on os map 99.9% of times is hikeabike.

Once you get over the crest down to char bothy ( which is a nice spot ) the trail is grand.

Ive ridden it the other way when i lived over in drumtochty woods.

Once you go down glen dye and cross the cairn o mount road and take over into drumtochty woods , be very careful on the forestry track as its a maze in there.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

As an alternative – try heading over the fungle – aiming for birse castle , pass the public carpark and aim for finzean , the. Aim for cairn kerloch ( will be a push up the west side ) then head through fetteresso as you planned.

Nice trails that way too…

On your original if your not traveling loaded turn up head up the hill of baldymicks and along to clachnaben and decend. Assuming your not on a full rigid its good fun. Just dont do it at weekends or holidays. Its always good on our night rides.

Premier Icon arachnidlover
    Free Member

Your in my playground, I love the riding up there. Can I suggest that you take the road a little further into Glen Esk that is marked for Mill of Aucheen and Blackcraigs farm. You can follow this all the way up to the summit of Mount Battock, stick to the road that goes round the summit of Allrey then up the Black Craig itself (don’t follow any of the other paths they are mostly dead ends) over Wester Cairn and onto Mount Battock itself. Stiff climbs and hike a bike sections but do-able. Marked in red.
    Follow the access roads from there to the Hill of Edendocher and then over Clachnaben (great riding) which will eventually lead you back to your route over the B974. Alternatively if you don’t fancy Clachnaben you can follow the green or yellow routes.

Let me know if you need any other information. 🙂

Premier Icon pedalhead
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks guys, will bury my head in the maps in a bit… 🙂

Premier Icon pedalhead
    Free Member

Ian – any chance you could email me a bigger version of that screenshot please? 🙂

Premier Icon pedalhead
    Free Member

Well there’s plenty of hike-a-bike further west in the route :-).

Terry – what would your preference be between the Fungle etc route as opposed to the way it currently goes, which is Bridge of Tanar – Glen Tanar – Mount Keen – Glen Mark – Tarfside? Cheers 🙂

Premier Icon crogthomas
    Free Member

For this sort of thing (planing routes) I like to use the strava heatmap to get an idea of where is popular and ridable. Does that show anything useful to you?

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-6.41147/55.06660/gray/bike

Premier Icon pedalhead
    Free Member

Actually that is quite useful, cheers 🙂

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

From bridge of tanar id road it down to birse , head into forest of birse past the fire tower and aim for the guard , i love that singletrack climb from the guard onto the fungle.- much less of a push than the north ascent of mount keen to get over the spine , how ever it is not a munro if thats important to you 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Please help me finish this Highland Coast to Coast route :-)’ is closed to new replies.