Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Please help me find a rearward facing car seat!
  • mashiehood
    Free Member

The search is driving us insane! All we want is a reasonably priced car seat for mashiehood jnr as he is 9 months old and too fatbig for his baby seat. He needs to stay rear facing until he is 4 years old.

Any advice / help / pointers greatly appreciated.

bencooper
    Free Member

We got a Be-Safe one – it’s very good, has done the offspring from 6 months to 3-and-a-bit so far.

fizzicist
    Free Member

We have a BESafe one which our daughter has grown out of.

It’s in good nick if you’re interested?

joeyj
    Free Member

Get a forward facing car seat, they don’t need to be rear facing till they are 4. Best place for advice is mothercare then do your homework on the internet and order from there. We did that with both of ours

ivantate
    Free Member

There are huge benefits to be rearfacing aslong as possible. As you probably know if you are asking for one.

Another thumbs up for BeSafe here, ours was great.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

why do you need to be rear facing until 4?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Get a forward facing car seat, they don’t need to be rear facing till they are 4. Best place for advice is mothercare then do your homework on the internet and order from there. We did that with both of ours

What???

ir_bandito
    Free Member

He needs to stay rear facing until he is 4 years old

Why?

I know its safer if you crash, but in our case, the constant screaming from a bored and lonely little boy who couldn’t see us in the front made driving unsafe. As soon as he faced forward, all was peace in the car. Maxi Cosi Tobi from about age 1.

mashiehood
    Free Member

ir – bandito – i think you have answered your questions in your first sentence. ‘Its safer if you crash’

Thanks for the Besafe reviews – it is on of the very few on offer so think we will go for the Besafe.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ir – bandito – i think you have answered your questions in your first sentence. ‘Its safer if you crash’

My point being I was more likely to crash from not being able to concentrate on driving. Not crashing is always the best option.

If your child is happy to face backwards, then yes, that’s the way to go. Just so happens my eldest is a bit hyper, and at that age really, REALLY didn’t like facing backwards and made his opinion quite vocal.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Why do all seats in cars (bar the driver) by default not face the rear?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

‘cos most people like to know they’re going?

molgrips
    Free Member

He needs to stay rear facing until he is 4 years old.

Don’t be too sure. From the age of 1 or so we spent our journeys chatting to our kids about what we can see out of the windows. I reckon this is pretty important for their development, we now have two great travellers (aged 2 and 4) who love to chat to us. I think being included in the family is more important than slighly improved crash safety.

When there’s only two of you in the car would you sit your partner in the back facing backwards too? No, of course, not – cos you want to talk to him or her. Well, your kid wants to talk to you too.

Plus the 4 year old was 107cm and 24kg odd at age four, there wasn’t a chance of being able to have her rear facing at that size. Nor was there at two years old to be honest.

bencooper
    Free Member

When there’s only two of you in the car would you sit your partner in the back facing backwards too? No, of course, not – cos you want to talk to him or her. Well, your kid wants to talk to you too.

I don’t sit her anywhere, she’s an independent woman – butt she likes sitting in the back chatting to the thing, and can easily talk to me too. And if it’s jut me and thing, we can still talk happily – and I can spot interesting things that she can see as we go past.

MtbRoutes

Britax Two-Way Elite here. Fits well in a Mondeo Estate and Honda Jazz. Can be used either-way round.

willyboy
    Free Member

Our little one has just gone in a front facing seat and its transformed our trips in the car. He was so fed up in his rear facing seat as he couldn’t see anything. He now loves looking out of the windows and babbling to us.
    His new seat is more upright but he still manages to sleep in it ok. We swapped him over at 10 months

mulv1976
    Free Member

Er.. Then don’t crash. Seriously 3-4 year olds are absorbing everything around them all the time and will want to talk constantly to you and see where they are going.

Its your choice but I personally think it will be massively unfair to have a rear facing seat – almost excluding your kids from what’s going on around them. I certainly couldn’t do that with mine, they would be going insane with frustration that they couldn’t see us.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

even from the age of 1yr they tend to be in forward facing seats.
    how old is minimash?

clubber
    Free Member

And this is probably why the OP only asked about rear facing seats, not about whether they’re right… 🙂 Good old STW

(FWIW, my two are both in forward facing seats and have been since they got out of the <9month seats)

crankboy
    Free Member

The op asked for any advise I do think it is ok to point out kids seem happier and more alert in forward facing seats . It is much easier driving listening to crankbrat saying “OO look another red bus in daddies window” than it is driving with him screaming from boredom. My own view on a scientific study of one 23 month old is that I would happily sacrifice a marginal crash statistical advantage for reducing the distractions while driving and increasing the child’s pleasure and social interaction.

Pieface

The Britax 2 way looks like the bets of both worlds, and not horrendously expensive either.

I will look at that in more detail.

brakes
    Free Member

What about in the boot? Is rear or front facing best?

konabunny
    Free Member

While we are on the subject, what do people think about the horizontal cot seats for babies?

Why do all seats in cars (bar the driver) by default not face the rear?

Because most occupants’ necks are well-developed enough that they won’t snap in an accident.

alcolepone
    Free Member

interesting video

how long are these car journeys, i would have thought safety would be the most import aspect of the car seat? we are about to buy a rear facing car seat. its awkwrd as the car is a 3 door, so wil end up buy the most expensive in order to swival the chair to make life easier getting the baby in and out.

clubber
    Free Member

i would have
    thought safety would be the most import aspect
    of the car seat?

don’t be silly. if there was a model that cost 5k , took three hours to get the kids in but was 5% safer, you’d be buying it, would you?

Silly example but like everything it’s a compromise and everyone’s compromise will be different

jam-bo

While we are on the subject, what do people think about the horizontal cot seats for babies?

We were recommended one on medical grounds. We got the Jane matrix.Expensive, work really well but outgrew it after about 6 months.

brakes
    Free Member

what about a Leatt neck brace instead?

rickt
    Free Member

Britax Two-Way Elite is one we are currenty using.

althepal

We had the britax and its a good balance of safety, ease of use and budget. Some will say the straps are a faff but no probs after a coyple of uses..

jam-bo

what about a Leatt neck brace instead?

Not without a full face helmet…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Please help me find a rearward facing car seat!’ is closed to new replies.