Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Please help me diagnose a problem or exorcise a demon.
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve yet to try some Hutchinson tyres, keep thinking of trying the Storm 11 All Season tubeless on my Hunt Aero Light Disc wheels, so no idea how they roll.

But I can feel the rolling resistance difference between 28mm GP4000S IIs with latex tubes and 4 Seasons with cheap butyl tubes. Just the nicer tyres alone with the same tubes feels quicker.

My 58cm Cube has a silly high stack of 610mm and currently I have all but a 5mm spacer under the stem. Compared to an aero bike with a slammed stem, I’m about as aero as a brick and have to put out plenty more than 180W to do 20mph on the flat in near windless conditions. I’d love something like that ~£1500 Giant Propel Disc at Rutland, but I’m not sure my lower back would love it!

twonks

With respect to all the thoughts and suggestions, surely with nothing beyond ‘feel’ to go on there is little point messing about with kit.

As has been mentioned, why not download Strava to a phone, place it in a pocket and go for the same ride on different bikes etc. If you make a note (say score out of 10 to make it quantifiable) of how you felt it went, both in terms of physical effort, comfort and enjoyment before you look at the Strava results, you’ll quickly be able to see what your dealing with.

It could be that one bike is a bit ‘dead’ in feel with the way it is built, which leads you to believe it is slow, yet in actual fact the data suggests otherwise.

Then when you have data to hand, you can combine all the info and decide if you prefer speed over comfort and quality of ride etc and if you then need to start swapping components to give you what you want out of a bike and a ride.

monksie
    Free Member

I have a resolution! Thank you all for your input.
    The bike came with 23c tyres but I had fitted 25c Hutchinson Intense 2 tyres to the carbon wheels before trying them out. Because of my pretty useless cleaning regime, I hadn’t seen that the shoulders of the rear tyre had worn…. . The frame needs a check over. This could be nasty.
    I cleaned everything. I put the bike on the turbo with my phone held in various positions while riding by my able assistant (daughter – cost me £5) and the the rear tyre was rubbing the frame. I swapped the tyres (after a lot of effort and swearing) for some Continental Gatorskin in 23c with the same inner tubes and it instantly felt easier out on the road and I also have the added benefit of being able to remove these tyres roadside if I have a puncture.
    I am surprised though that at the level of drag I’m sure I could feel and how little it has damaged the frame, even though it’s done enough for me to have it checked out. I know what I mean.
    Thank you again everyone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crikey
    Free Member

Gatorskins!

Get some lovely tyres, stop messin’ abaaat!

chakaping
    Free Member

So it was rubbing because there wasn’t clearance for 25mm in the rear?

crazy-legs

edit: just read the full thread, glad you’re all sorted.
    Hi Monksie. 🙂

simondbarnes

So it was rubbing because there wasn’t clearance for 25mm in the rear?

Yes

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

From what I’ve read, GP5000s come pretty true to size, unlike GP4000S IIs… So look out for a good deal on at least one 23mm GP5000.

https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-gp5000-folding-clincher-road-tyre-700c-127979.html Currently £36.50

monksie
    Free Member

Hi James 😀
    Have I bought rubbish tyres?

kcal

crikey! glad you got an answer even if not a full resolution monksie!

BadlyWiredDog

Phew! I was about to offer you the loan of a spare set of wheels to see if that helped.

Gatorskins? Old school puncture-resistant winter commuting tyres in a slippy in the cold and wet sort of way. I use GP4000s all year round here and they’re lovely and grippy and as we don’t have sharp flint and similar debris on the road, they don’t seem to puncture any more than anything else.

I’ve never really got the trad winter roadie thing where you ride nice grippy tyres when the roads are dry and grippy and swap to something with half the grip as soon as it’s cold and wet when, arguably, you benefit more from grippy rubber. Then again I mostly ride my cross bike on the road in winter, so what do I know?

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you for the offers and potential offers of wheels to try. I’m going to have to put up with the tyres I’ve bought until the summer. I’ll kid myself that they’re good for resistance training without wearing a further hole in my frame.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I’m glad we got to the bottom of that anyway.

If you’re after something marginally narrower, I have some spesh s-works turbo 24mm which are very lightly used.

Drop me a line if they might be of interest for cheap-ish?

singletrackmind

Yay
    You can carry a pump and tube now to avoid the walk ( and train ride) of shame
    Glad you got to the bottom of it
    BTW what frame has tight tolerances that a 25 will rub to cause braking effect?

stevious

Well OP, I’m glad you know what the problem is but I was kind of hoping that we’d find out that your bike was haunted by the ghost of one of your old bikes.

monksie
    Free Member

Ha! It’s a BMC Street Machine or something similar sounding.
    To be fair, The Hutchinson Intense tyres are very wide for a 25c.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

The Prime wheels are probably 25mm or 27.5mm wide at the rim bed if they are relatively new so the tyres will probable run much wider than the 25mm written on the side of them. The bike might be a bit older and not designed for the newish trend in wheel width.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Please help me diagnose a problem or exorcise a demon.’ is closed to new replies.